ADVERTISEMENT

What's the story with Santos?

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Haven't really heard much about him for a year now.

Will Fran take another swing forward or try to get two Bigs and a point to go along with Pemsl?

I could see a few scenarios with the available schollies.
a. One point, one big PF or C, Pemsl, and best player available.
b. One point, two bigs, and Pemsl
c. One point, one big, Pemsl, and Baer earns a scholly

As far as Santos is concerned the kid has been battling various injuries throughout the last year. I think that has really stymied his interest levels from schools. He has definitely outgrown the point posiion and into a forward role though. Regardless when healthy I think he is a very solid player, and would be a good get for Fran.

My guess for this class right now is
Moore
Huerter
Pemsl
Benson

I would love to land Cook though. I just think he will end up elsewhere.

Reactions: nu2u
I could see a few scenarios with the available schollies.
a. One point, one big PF or C, Pemsl, and best player available.
b. One point, two bigs, and Pemsl
c. One point, one big, Pemsl, and Baer earns a scholly

As far as Santos is concerned the kid has been battling various injuries throughout the last year. I think that has really stymied his interest levels from schools. He has definitely outgrown the point posiion and into a forward role though. Regardless when healthy I think he is a very solid player, and would be a good get for Fran.

Moore
Huerter
Pemsl
Benson

I know Huerter is friends with Connor McCaffery but he seems enamoured with MD right now. A lot of the class is up in the air right now. Based on current info, I think Santos may be similar to Jok's situation injury-wise. Santos's injury isn't apparently as severe but has had a similar effect on his recruiting. I'm guessing it turns out the same way and he goes with the team that has stuck with him as a recruit. As far as the rest of the class, Moore has gotten the most recent positive press in association with Iowa along with Painter. But it's a long way to the finish line.

Just looking at the other big guys, Benson may look at Iowa more if Swanigan goes to PU. Rakocevic is still in play for Iowa. Given Cook's previous interest in KU, I think it's a positive sign that Iowa is still on his list, given how long we've been recruiting him. It may turn out that he goes to MO like Morrow went to NE, because of parental influence, but I think Iowa City is closer than his other choices, and appears to be a better career choice than MO.

Reactions: hawknut11
MO is not a bad place to play BB. When the team is good they get good attendance and publicity. They have had some bad coaches and shady characters but I don't think Kim Anderson will stand for that now. Of course if he doesn't win and can't recruit, he won't last.

Moore
Huerter
Pemsl
Benson

Recent articles regarding Huerter seem to indicate a strong interest in several east coast programs, most notably Maryland.

My wild guess / hope is

Moore
Pemsl
Painter
Baer

The biggest needs are covered C (Painter) and PG (Moore). I'm guessing Baer shows enough to earn a scholly.

Recent articles regarding Huerter seem to indicate a strong interest in several east coast programs, most notably Maryland.

My wild guess / hope is

Moore
Pemsl
Painter
Baer

The biggest needs are covered C (Painter) and PG (Moore). I'm guessing Baer shows enough to earn a scholly.

I'm really hoping that his friendship with Connor and the family's friendship with the McCaffrey's is enough to sway him towards Iowa.

Haven't really heard much about him for a year now.

Will Fran take another swing forward or try to get two Bigs and a point to go along with Pemsl?

His biggest issue has been staying healthy. When you are injured, you don't get talked about much.

Missed the year (or most of it) with a thumb injury and then got hurt in one of his first AAU games this spring.

Based on the distribution of offers, Fran seems to be shooting for one each of PF/C, wing, PG but I think that could be misleading. With choosing Jones over a C in the 2015 class, Fran has set a precedent of going for the best player available and figure out the rotation later. Even that is misleading as Fran has talked in the past about not recruiting positions but skill sets. By that standard, you could divide the offers up into attacks and defends well near to and away from the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT