ADVERTISEMENT

Where did KF's recruiting turn for the worse?

So What is the reason KF's recruiting is Average?

• Rhabdo?

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I might be going to the NFL?

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Too Conservative/Boring Offense?

Votes: 70 43.5%
  • Awe, were just Iowa, we're not that good?

Votes: 37 23.0%
  • It's all Ken O'Keefe's fault?

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • You know, we have to compete against ISU for recruits?

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Too many cornfields?

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Uninspiring Media persona of KF?

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • All of the Above?

Votes: 22 13.7%

• Total voters
Follow through with this: who do you believe has gotten the better recruiting classes, K St or Iowa?

Snyder is one of the best coaches in the nation, clear cut hall of famer.

Some of you really are idiots.
But I bet he knows the difference between "elude" and "allude," genius!

As far as Keyshawn Johnson Jr...he is a lock for Nebraska. His old man is a HUGE street agent.(pay me cash and I will get you hooked up and get you rated higher type of agent). His OC at USC was Mike Riley and he loved him. USC has shunned a lot of former players while they try to clean up their image from the Bush saga. Keyshawn-SR is steering a ton of kids to Nebraska. Don't be shocked when the talent at the skill positions keep rolling into Nebbie...gotta be connected.

Can you back these "street agent" claims up?

I would say when Eric Johnson lost his motivation several years back, and KF didn't replace him.... Some people just need to be fired. Hayden had the same problem late in his career.

Can you back these "street agent" claims up?
Very much....He along with a few other high profile NFL WR's are big street agents. Can't get the glitz and glam of the position out of their blood. Wait and see.

Also....Hot Take....Braxton Miller will play WR for OSU.

I know the word "source" is used and dudes on here get bashed. But.....I got a source

If Bill can sell Manhattan, KS why can't Kirk sell Iowa City? Face the fact: IF YOU CAN'T SELL IOWA CITY, YOU CAN'T SELL ANYTHING!!!!!!!

A lot of truth to this comment. If you win they will come...Tom Osborne had to sell the state of Nebraska...think about it??

Very much....He along with a few other high profile NFL WR's are big street agents. Can't get the glitz and glam of the position out of their blood. Wait and see.

Also....Hot Take....Braxton Miller will play WR for OSU.

I know the word "source" is used and dudes on here get bashed. But.....I got a source

Here's the deal with the tOSU quarterback situation...... IMO it's not a "problem" at all. Both Barrett and Miller know what every position on the field is supposed to do. Both are extremely athletic, I could see them both playing WR and their offense not missing a beat.

As to ex WR wanting to be in the limelight... I'll take it and I tell you why, our WR position has been so anemic we need to do something different than what we've been doing (personally, we need to hire assistants with some real ties, I'm talking assistants who currently have jobs not the unemployed). You seem to understand college football the way it should be (the Iowa way) I accept that, however I'm cognizant of how we have to conduct business off the field and with hiring a staff.

What we've been doing, ain't cutting it. You see this, and recruits and other opposing coaching staff are watching and taking swipes at us (most of our misfortune has been self inflicted). You're a smart guy, this regime is coming to an end and I think you are seeing it with the incoming recruits the past few years. Not many other power five offers, you could argue that we are evaluating talent..... That worked in 2000, now with the Internet and video everywhere these diamonds are becoming more scarce. It's not a star thing, I'm looking at who else is offering.

Reactions: PHXIowaClub
Here's the deal with the tOSU quarterback situation...... IMO it's not a "problem" at all. Both Barrett and Miller know what every position on the field is supposed to do. Both are extremely athletic, I could see them both playing WR and their offense not missing a beat.

As to ex WR wanting to be in the limelight... I'll take it and I tell you why, our WR position has been so anemic we need to do something different than what we've been doing (personally, we need to hire assistants with some real ties, I'm talking assistants who currently have jobs not the unemployed). You seem to understand college football the way it should be (the Iowa way) I accept that, however I'm cognizant of how we have to conduct business off the field and with hiring a staff.

What we've been doing, ain't cutting it. You see this, and recruits and other opposing coaching staff are watching and taking swipes at us (most of our misfortune has been self inflicted). You're a smart guy, this regime is coming to an end and I think you are seeing it with the incoming recruits the past few years. Not many other power five offers, you could argue that we are evaluating talent..... That worked in 2000, now with the Internet and video everywhere these diamonds are becoming more scarce. It's not a star thing, I'm looking at who else is offering.
You are right Swag...the talent coming in is not top flight. Iowa is a run first team...has been for years and will be as long as the RB situation doesn't blow up. (i.e...Drew Tate years). WR's want to catch balls period....not a couple but a bunch. It is not the philosophy at Iowa. I have no problem with that at all.

To be successful you have to be connected to the underbelly of recruiting. Many are aware of the whole Chicago recruiting mafia in basketball. Either you are in or out. You play their games and you get their players...if not...look elsewhere. That is the standard operating procedure in most AAU basketball circuits. The same thing is happening in high school football to an extent. In the south and west the 7on7 circuit in the summer has exploded. Keyshawn is just one of dozens of ex-players that have "a team". When Nebraska hired Riley, they knew that he was connected to the USC talent pool. To my knowledge we have no connections to that tier one talent pool. This has been and always will be a problem.

I really do not think KF and staff have any issue with evaluating talent. Other schools, just like Iowa use negative press or situations against each other. KF at the tail end of his career doesn't help reeling in recruits....it doesn't at any school. Look at Tennessee, Boise, Miami, Texas...ect. The coach starts to get banged around by the fanbase and press and it is nationwide news. Recruits look else where to play. The next Iowa coach will not last long, not in today's college football. Every fan base has unrealistic expectations, Iowa is not different. Alabama fans think if they do not win it all...fail. KF has done an outstanding job while he has been at Iowa. He will be gone soon and I pity the man and his family that has to come in. Hopefully he is connected to the underbelly, problem with that is the problems that comes with it. Iowa football will be really interesting in the next 5 years.

As far as Keyshawn Johnson Jr...he is a lock for Nebraska. His old man is a HUGE street agent.(pay me cash and I will get you hooked up and get you rated higher type of agent). His OC at USC was Mike Riley and he loved him. USC has shunned a lot of former players while they try to clean up their image from the Bush saga. Keyshawn-SR is steering a ton of kids to Nebraska. Don't be shocked when the talent at the skill positions keep rolling into Nebbie...gotta be connected.

A former NFL star, multi-millionaire with a chill job at ESPN is now hustling the CFB recruiting game for $$$. He's taking money from poor recruits and their families to be rated higher by the services and Mike Riley and Nebraska are also paying him piles of cash for his services.

Are you retarded?

You are right Swag...the talent coming in is not top flight. Iowa is a run first team...has been for years and will be as long as the RB situation doesn't blow up. (i.e...Drew Tate years). WR's want to catch balls period....not a couple but a bunch. It is not the philosophy at Iowa. I have no problem with that at all.

To be successful you have to be connected to the underbelly of recruiting. Many are aware of the whole Chicago recruiting mafia in basketball. Either you are in or out. You play their games and you get their players...if not...look elsewhere. That is the standard operating procedure in most AAU basketball circuits. The same thing is happening in high school football to an extent. In the south and west the 7on7 circuit in the summer has exploded. Keyshawn is just one of dozens of ex-players that have "a team". When Nebraska hired Riley, they knew that he was connected to the USC talent pool. To my knowledge we have no connections to that tier one talent pool. This has been and always will be a problem.

I really do not think KF and staff have any issue with evaluating talent. Other schools, just like Iowa use negative press or situations against each other. KF at the tail end of his career doesn't help reeling in recruits....it doesn't at any school. Look at Tennessee, Boise, Miami, Texas...ect. The coach starts to get banged around by the fanbase and press and it is nationwide news. Recruits look else where to play. The next Iowa coach will not last long, not in today's college football. Every fan base has unrealistic expectations, Iowa is not different. Alabama fans think if they do not win it all...fail. KF has done an outstanding job while he has been at Iowa. He will be gone soon and I pity the man and his family that has to come in. Hopefully he is connected to the underbelly, problem with that is the problems that comes with it. Iowa football will be really interesting in the next 5 years.

You think it's the fan base who is responsible for how the program is perceived? I'm not sure I can go there with you.

Also, we don't get top flight WRs, but this run first program doesn't get top flight RBs either. Remember we had a converted FB at the position the past 3 years.

I don't pity whoever comes in next after KF. They will get paid to produce, if they don't they will be told thank you and we're moving in a different direction. Also, don't think Bartas job is so secure, plenty on his plate at the moment.

You think it's the fan base who is responsible for how the program is perceived? I'm not sure I can go there with you.

Also, we don't get top flight WRs, but this run first program doesn't get top flight RBs either. Remember we had a converted FB at the position the past 3 years.

I don't pity whoever comes in next after KF. They will get paid to produce, if they don't they will be told thank you and we're moving in a different direction. Also, don't think Bartas job is so secure, plenty on his plate at the moment.
Barta's job is secure.

A former NFL star, multi-millionaire with a chill job at ESPN is now hustling the CFB recruiting game for $$$. He's taking money from poor recruits and their families to be rated higher by the services and Mike Riley and Nebraska are also paying him piles of cash for his services.

Are you retarded?
I am now after responding. But, believe what you want. College sports is all daisies.

When BB left the Iowa Program
Iowa's recruiting is fine. They fill their allotment of schollie's every year don't they?
Just enjoy the games and find something constructive to do in between because none of you have a clue on the recruiting process and even less on running or coaching a college football program.

Losing Joe Philbin was huge. I would equate Ferentz losing Philbin and Norm to Hayden losing Snyder and Alverez.
Always tough losing top assistants and coordinators.

Reactions: ipshr
Losing Joe Philbin was huge. I would equate Ferentz losing Philbin and Norm to Hayden losing Snyder and Alverez.
Always tough losing top assistants and coordinators.
Pretty close to how I see it. When Hayden lost his assistants, he lost his recruiting pipeline. Kirk has had the chance for 2 re-dos of staff, instead of picking someone that's known and a draw, he hires his son, promotes Phil...then had to hire Reid out of retirement to fix the D and GD was tarnished out of Texas so he was no draw at all. It seemed they believed (or maybe forced to) they take just about anyone and develop players out of them. It worked at the margins, yet we just got spanked in a bowl game by kids who've only been in the system probably a year or 2.
With Kirk now viewed unkindly by most of the national media, coupled by losing too many games to bad teams, it'd be tough to get any recruit outside of Iowa to listen if they have offers from other P5 schools.

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
Um no, this federal investigation is enough not to make his job secure. Plus there's a new president coming in, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I respectfully disagree. With basketball and baseball on the rise and the money continuing to flow in despite a downturn in football ticket sales, I just don't see enough with this investigation to justify firing him at present. We shall see.

Didnt read all the responses, but it seems like he went away from some areas where he had some success. Florida and PA come to mind.

I respectfully disagree. With basketball and baseball on the rise and the money continuing to flow in despite a downturn in football ticket sales, I just don't see enough with this investigation to justify firing him at present. We shall see.

Basketball is on the rise, baseball doesn't generate revenue. How much do any of us really know about the investigation? What we do know is that there has been a serious (in this relative PC world we live in) accusation cast on Gary.

You gotta be kidding me with this Keyshawn Johnson money man schtick. I live in Tampa and have met Keyshawn a couple times, seen how he interacts with the community, the people around him, conducts himself. He is SO not the sort to be involved in those antics. Your allegations are utterly ridiculous.

What he IS involved in, heavily, is giving a damn about his son, his son's friends, and kids in general. I helped Keyshawn (and about 500 other people) deliver Christmas presents to poor kids for a few years. If you had ever spent a moment with the man, you'd be ashamed of the things you've written.

Hah, it's hard to imagine the other conspiracy theories that must lurk inside whatever you call your brain.

Keyshawn has no need to ever 'steer athletes for money' the way you suggested. If he IS steering anyone, it's in the way of advice on who keeps their word and who tells the truth (at least as far as Keyshawn sees it). The man has more scruples in his small toe than the average man does in his body.

It seems that Iowa really started to struggle after the whole steroids/rhabdo incident.

Last edited:
Iowa's recruiting is fine. They fill their allotment of schollie's every year don't they?
Just enjoy the games and find something constructive to do in between because none of you have a clue on the recruiting process and even less on running or coaching a college football program.

Hey, we all something in common with KF....he doesn't know either!

I don't think any of those answers fit. For me, it's that he has never had a passion for it and hence did not lay out a strategy and dedicate resources for it until recently. I think he thought he could rely more on pure player development. It has caught up with him due to many of the reasons listed in the choices though. He's hustling this year as his back is to the wall.

That's Keyshawn's son.
No kidding? See, what you have here is a "link." Click on the link. It will take you to KeyshawnJr.'s twitter account. In this particular link, he is referring to his "homie" decomitting from Cal to join him at Nebraska. Continue looking at the twitter account. There are many "tweets." These tweets are a pretty nice paper trail when Nebraska gets the Reggie Bush pay scandal treatment in a few years.

Joe Chap, there is no foot in my mouth, I thought you were smart enough to click a simple link and connect the dots. Don't do a spit-take of those grasshopper guts in your mouth when Nebraska can't turn their totally legit Cal connections into a winning record a la Brady Hoke style. See, I said you are a bugeater. Because your university thought that was a good nickname. Because you need to be hand-held and led through reading and understanding a post.

Last edited:
I don't think any of those answers fit. For me, it's that he has never had a passion for it and hence did not lay out a strategy and dedicate resources for it until recently. I think he thought he could rely more on pure player development. It has caught up with him due to many of the reasons listed in the choices though. He's hustling this year as his back is to the wall.

No passion?! Where ever did you come up with that? Drew Tate told the story on the radio how KF flew to Texas after de-committing to A&M, walked in on his mother while she was teaching a school class and sell her on her son coming to Iowa. Looks like that worked.

No passion?! Where ever did you come up with that? Drew Tate told the story on the radio how KF flew to Texas after de-committing to A&M, walked in on his mother while she was teaching a school class and sell her on her son coming to Iowa. Looks like that worked.

That 15 year old story does not change my view.

These tweets are a pretty nice paper trail when Nebraska gets the Reggie Bush pay scandal treatment in a few years.

th

I think Iowa's downfall in general started when Norm was no longer with the program. Realizing now just how good of an assistant coach he was at Iowa. Iowa consistently depends on the guys with chips on their shoulders. It used to be when we recruited a 2-star I thought nothing of it because I was confident we would coach them up into solid Big 10 performers.

We can say stars don't mean much but I disagree. Sure, not every 4 or 5-star athlete turns into a stud, but there is something to be said in filling your roster with more four stars then simply 2 and 3-star guys with mostly MAC offers.

I think Iowa's philosophy on recruiting (until efforts the last year) have been very conservative. We have not adapted to the times (i.e. changing up uniforms, aggressive football; wide-open football). Kids today like the glitz and glory (most of them) and Iowa's laid back approach is not going to bring in the 4 or 5-stars.

For one second I don't buy into the fact we live in a state with a small population, etc., etc. A good coach and good recruiter can bring kids in from any place.

Reactions: ipshr
Not really a fair comparison since Nebraska was a top-flight football program from the early 60's with Devaney as HC. Osborne simply continued the tradition when he took over in 1973.
At last, someone who really knows something on this thread. And Devaney came to Neb. from-------------Wyoming.

You gotta be kidding me with this Keyshawn Johnson money man schtick. I live in Tampa and have met Keyshawn a couple times, seen how he interacts with the community, the people around him, conducts himself. He is SO not the sort to be involved in those antics. Your allegations are utterly ridiculous.

What he IS involved in, heavily, is giving a damn about his son, his son's friends, and kids in general. I helped Keyshawn (and about 500 other people) deliver Christmas presents to poor kids for a few years. If you had ever spent a moment with the man, you'd be ashamed of the things you've written.

Hah, it's hard to imagine the other conspiracy theories that must lurk inside whatever you call your brain.

Keyshawn has no need to ever 'steer athletes for money' the way you suggested. If he IS steering anyone, it's in the way of advice on who keeps their word and who tells the truth (at least as far as Keyshawn sees it). The man has more scruples in his small toe than the average man does in his body.
I never said one word about him being a bad person. He is a "Street Agent"...if you don't believe me then I can't help you. There are a bunch of guys that are, it is the under belly of football recruiting. I have experienced it first hand. Schools pay for these guys to help them out with "scouting" ...wink, wink. Believ what you want

ADVERTISEMENT