ADVERTISEMENT

Where did Kirk Ferentz' recruiting turn for the best?

icu81222

HR All-American
Dec 4, 2008
Probably appropriate to offset the trolls at this point and get the recruiting talk here in a new rather than the other one.

Have to give the Hawks credit. Up to #29 in the country right now. Yeah, that will change one way or the other but it's certainly a positive.

Last edited:
Year Avg player stars Rivals conference rank
2002 2.59 8/11
2003 2.81 7/11
2004 2.48 7/11
2005 3.22 2/11
2006 2.71 6/11
2007 2.95 5/11
2008 2.54 8/11
2009 2.47 10/11
2010 3.00 5/11
2011 3.00 4/12
2012 2.96 6/12
2013 2.81 8/12
2014 2.79 11/14
2015 2.71 13/14
2016 2.71 7/14 *** still in process

Iowa's on-field production, or lack thereof, the last few years is more closely tied to the huge amount of attrition, especially from players on the two-deeps, compared to the other B1G schools than a major downturn in recruiting. In terms of recruiting "stars", KF's post-OB classes are actually better than those from his first half of his career even though his record is significantly worse.

Probably appropriate to offset the trolls at this point and get the recruiting talk here in a post I've OP than the other one.

Have to give the Hawks credit. Up to #29 in the country right now. Yeah, that will change one way or the other but it's certainly a positive.

Does number of recruits have anything to do with the rankings? I noticed Iowa had the most commitments between number 18 Kentucky and number 43 Western Michigan. Before you get hot and bothered, I was just wondering, or is it by some kind of scaling?

Reactions: icparkerhawk
Does number of recruits have anything to do with the rankings? I noticed Iowa had the most commitments between number 18 Kentucky and number 43 Western Michigan. Before you get hot and bothered, I was just wondering, or is it by some kind of scaling?

Yes - the Rivals ranking is based upon the number of recruits multiplied by the relative recruiting weight (ie a 5 star recruit is worth more "points" to a teams ranking than a 4-star player which in turn is worth more than a 3-star... and so on). You can also sort the schools by the avg recruit ranking which doesn't take the total # of recruits into account.

Yes - the Rivals ranking is based upon the number of recruits multiplied by the relative recruiting weight (ie a 5 star recruit is worth more "points" to a teams ranking than a 4-star player which in turn is worth more than a 3-star... and so on). You can also sort the schools by the avg recruit ranking which doesn't take the total # of recruits into account.
247's composite rating is probably the best rating to use if you care about that stuff, which I don't. It at least gives a composite average of most the major rating media, because who's to say that rivals is more accurate than scouts or espn, etc...

Year Avg player stars Rivals conference rank
2002 2.59 8/11
2003 2.81 7/11
2004 2.48 7/11
2005 3.22 2/11
2006 2.71 6/11
2007 2.95 5/11
2008 2.54 8/11
2009 2.47 10/11
2010 3.00 5/11
2011 3.00 4/12
2012 2.96 6/12
2013 2.81 8/12
2014 2.79 11/14
2015 2.71 13/14
2016 2.71 7/14 *** still in process

Iowa's on-field production, or lack thereof, the last few years is more closely tied to the huge amount of attrition, especially from players on the two-deeps, compared to the other B1G schools than a major downturn in recruiting. In terms of recruiting "stars", KF's post-OB classes are actually better than those from his first half of his career even though his record is significantly worse.

Better check again..........2016 2.67 13/14*** still in progress.

I think it should be higher as I think Rivals has a few of the recruits rated lower than they should be. Especially Lattimore, Niemann, Young, and Hockenson.

I think it should be higher as I think Rivals has a few of the recruits rated lower than they should be. Especially Lattimore, Niemann, Young, and Hockenson.
at 247 iowa is 8th in the B1G, 30th nat'lly, with 15 recruits and everyone one who has a rating composites out at a 3*. Young and Schulte have not been rated yet, which draws down the team rating some. So it's looking really positive with a lot of time to fill this class out. I don't know how many more they will get, but I think the big needs are another solid receiver, another solid DB, and a true OT and it will be a pretty successful class. If they get that, they still may have another 4 or 5 commits to play with. I count 20 srs. on scholly plus typical attrition.

Go to Rivals team rankings, Big 10, not that hard.
I did and they have 15 not 14 and are 6th not 10th. But I normally don't look at Rivals rankings and neither do Iowa coaches. Rivals skews big time to certain markets and who is offering. A composite of all the rating services (rivals, scout, espn, 247, etc.) is a much better barometer of their ranking, which is what 247composite does. Make sense yet? Why do you believe rivals has the most accurate ratings and the best scouts? Because they are owned by Yahoo? Yahoo certainly is a leader in sports, lol, unlike ESPN or CBS sports etc...

Reactions: icu81222
How many slots are left to fill?

On top of that to those who follow recruiting alot who are some of the higher rated recruits to keep an eye on that Iowa has a legitimate shot at?

I know one name I've heard thrown out before is DT Swann. Curious of any others who has Iowa in top 10 or 5

I did and they have 15 not 14 and are 6th not 10th. But I normally don't look at Rivals rankings and neither do Iowa coaches. Rivals skews big time to certain markets and who is offering. A composite of all the rating services (rivals, scout, espn, 247, etc.) is a much better barometer of their ranking, which is what 247composite does. Make sense yet? Why do you believe rivals has the most accurate ratings and the best scouts? Because they are owned by Yahoo? Yahoo certainly is a leader in sports, lol, unlike ESPN or CBS sports etc...

The original ranking in this thread was about ave star ranking, you are 13th out of 14 in quality, knocking them dead again!

Give us a top 10 recruiting class and maybe Ferentz can get to .500 in the Big Ten and beat the clowns every other year.

Probably appropriate to offset the trolls at this point and get the recruiting talk here in a new rather than the other one.

Once the new graphics were put up in the facilities

The original ranking in this thread was about ave star ranking, you are 13th out of 14 in quality, knocking them dead again!
Amazing. You responded without reading a word I said. Sad how some are incapable of learning. But hey, all that matters is what rivals thinks, right? So I writing this whole class off. FIRE FERENTZ AND HIS HORRIBLE 2.61 STARS RIVALS RATING AVG. BECAUSE THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS, LOL.
Don't you people ever get tired of being stupid and negative? One or the others bad enough, but both.....I don't know you do it.

Reactions: ichawk24
Amazing. You responded without reading a word I said. Sad how some are incapable of learning. But hey, all that matters is what rivals thinks, right? So I writing this whole class off. FIRE FERENTZ AND HIS HORRIBLE 2.61 STARS RIVALS RATING AVG. BECAUSE THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS, LOL.
Don't you people ever get tired of being stupid and negative? One or the others bad enough, but both.....I don't know you do it.

You do realize he's a husker troll

As of 6-22, Iowa has a total of 16 commits that have a combined 21 offers from Big 5 conference teams not named Iowa. Of those 21 offers from Big 5 conference teams not named Iowa, Wisconsin is the only team who is relevant on a national level and the only team to win 9 games or more last year (Most consider 9-10 wins a very good season). I sure hope this strategy of offering these late bloomer guys early works out or this program will sink from 6-7 wins on average to 4 wins on average, especially when Iowa's schedule isn't so easy like the past couple years and this upcoming year.

How in the he-- did Nebraska get two four* commits at QB for 2016?

Huskers could easily lose one to Oregon. The Ducks are after Terry Wilson, hard. Keeping them both would be a luxury, but I guess I'm pessimistic on Wilson and think he takes off to Eugene.

To answer the OP's question...it took a turn for the "better" when kirk decided to start offering fall back type recruits in June instead of the week before signing day. By stealing the small town Iowa boys early, before UNI can nab them, Kirk got a ton of commits from excited, MAC type recruits who never in their wildest dreams thought they would get to play football at a Big 10 school for free.

To answer the OP's question...it took a turn for the "better" when kirk decided to start offering fall back type recruits in June instead of the week before signing day. By stealing the small town Iowa boys early, before UNI can nab them, Kirk got a ton of commits from excited, MAC type recruits who never in their wildest dreams thought they would get to play football at a Big 10 school for free.
Does your name mean you are in the law field in Iowa? Heaven Forbid! With your attitude and brilliance if you represented someone on an unpaid parking ticket, you'd get them the chair. Get a grip there Matlock....

Reactions: funnyfletcher
PV?

Does your name mean you are in the law field in Iowa? Heaven Forbid! With your attitude and brilliance if you represented someone on an unpaid parking ticket, you'd get them the chair. Get a grip there Matlock....

If anyone has a job field in their user name, you can be certain they have never had a job in that area, but would love to have one, if they ever found a way out of their mom's basement. The most popular one around here is Coach.

If anyone has a job field in their user name, you can be certain they have never had a job in that area, but would love to have one, if they ever found a way out of their mom's basement. The most popular one around here is Coach.
I have a shortened version of my job title(signal maintainer) in my user name. Held the position for 14 years for a class I railroad.

As of 6-22, Iowa has a total of 16 commits that have a combined 21 offers from Big 5 conference teams not named Iowa. Of those 21 offers from Big 5 conference teams not named Iowa, Wisconsin is the only team who is relevant on a national level and the only team to win 9 games or more last year (Most consider 9-10 wins a very good season). I sure hope this strategy of offering these late bloomer guys early works out or this program will sink from 6-7 wins on average to 4 wins on average, especially when Iowa's schedule isn't so easy like the past couple years and this upcoming year.

I'm glad we're getting kids to sign and welcome them, but this is scary!

It is not a strategy of offering late-bloomers early. That is just a stupid statement.

So, we have had an average at best football team for several years, recruiting has not been great. Everyone is suppose to be happy with a mediocre football program...and that is being nice considering the joke of a schedule we play? I guess we could all get together and sing camp fire songs.... The program is stale and posting happy thoughts on a message wont change anything more than posting frustrated messages. You have to find balance with it...something I struggle with! We do not have the talent to play Tressel ball...we don't get great skill position players because of that reason. I am glad basketball has been resurrected, and wrestling is still great! Football is a dying commodity, I will next step foot in Kinnick again til KF is gone!

ADVERTISEMENT