ADVERTISEMENT

White's chances in the NBA?

The original poster asked what are his chances? If, by chances, you mean getting a roster spot, then I think pretty good. If you are asking will he play in the NBA, or contribute significant minutes? Then I say, no chance. He will/can have a great career overseas.

Comparing him to Reggie? Seriously? I agree with Yiana, and that's a best case for AW IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

You misread what I said or I wasn't clear I ment he has a nitch game. Both him and Reggie have a nitch game that keeps them in the league, I wasn't saying they have the same nitch or the same game. Reggie's game is rebounding and an tough enforcer type.

Disagree with his ballhandling being up to NBA level. As soon as he catches the ball, people will be all over him with an arm on his hip. His game is not shaking players with dribble moves. He is fine in the open floor without anyone guarding him.
Also disagree that defense is a strength.
I do think his open floor play is a huge asset as well as his ability to finish around the rim. Agree that bball IQ is very high (love those cheap "bait you" steals!) and his passion to make a team will be strong. You'd be surprised how many guys don't really work on their game in the league (besides most superstars) and Whitey will bust his tail.
Hoping he will stick as a 10-15 mins a game 8th man, but thinking he will have more individual success overseas.

Reactions: Myvue
Disagree with his ballhandling being up to NBA level. As soon as he catches the ball, people will be all over him with an arm on his hip. His game is not shaking players with dribble moves. He is fine in the open floor without anyone guarding him.
Also disagree that defense is a strength.
I do think his open floor play is a huge asset as well as his ability to finish around the rim. Agree that bball IQ is very high (love those cheap "bait you" steals!) and his passion to make a team will be strong. You'd be surprised how many guys don't really work on their game in the league (besides most superstars) and Whitey will bust his tail.
Hoping he will stick as a 10-15 mins a game 8th man, but thinking he will have more individual success overseas.

I don't follow the NBA but this sounds like a pretty good assessment. Whatever path White's pro career takes him, it will come from making the most of what he's got.

He's a 6'9" small forward. They rarely handle the ball for more than 2-3 dribbles, Seems like everyone is putting a lot more emphasis on this than warranted...

He's a 6'9" small forward. They rarely handle the ball for more than 2-3 dribbles, Seems like everyone is putting a lot more emphasis on this than warranted...

When a 3 puts the ball on the floor in the NBA it generally has to be done with purpose...to create a shot for themselves or to initiate the offense from a pre-determined spot. White has not shown he has that ability. He has skills which will aid in him trying to get into the NBA, but this isn't one of them. To claim otherwise is ridiculous. And to use his TOs in an attempt to back up your claim is asinine. He didn't have a lot of TOs because he rarely attempted to be a creator with the ball unless it was for his own shot. Which, with his skill set, is what he should have been doing.

It is almost as bad as your claims that Peter Jok runs like a deer and Dom Uhl has shown signs of being a "legit" 3pt shooter after a season when he shot 18.5% on 3s.

Reactions: Ycusi
White needs to be able to handle the ball like Uthoff to have a true shot at having any kind of NBA career.

Reactions: yiana
When a 3 puts the ball on the floor in the NBA it generally has to be done with purpose...to create a shot for themselves or to initiate the offense from a pre-determined spot. White has not shown he has that ability. He has skills which will aid in him trying to get into the NBA, but this isn't one of them. To claim otherwise is ridiculous. And to use his TOs in an attempt to back up your claim is asinine. He didn't have a lot of TOs because he rarely attempted to be a creator with the ball unless it was for his own shot. Which, with his skill set, is what he should have been doing.

It is almost as bad as your claims that Peter Jok runs like a deer and Dom Uhl has shown signs of being a "legit" 3pt shooter after a season when he shot 18.5% on 3s.
Back to lurking again...

Love the kid but he lacks the ball handling and strength to play in the league. I don't see him being drafted but I hope I'm wrong.

I never ever understood why Fran never had him improve his dribbling ability.
On SEVERAL OCCASIONS White got a defensive rebound, took it the length of the court and slammed it home. I think ballhandling is one of his best attributes.

And that's why you probably shouldn't try to add anything to this conversation. :)
Probably but you seemed to think he couldn't handle it. You can't dribble length of the court and slam it home if you don't have any ballhandling skills as you say.

Aaron White is essentially a poor's man's version of Nick Collison. If he accepts the role of a rebounder and defensive player....then he'll have a shot in the league.

Then again, as with any 2nd round draft pick, very few get any type of guaranteed money and most don't make the team. He'll have to get lucky and have the right team pick him.

I don't like Nick Collision comparison. He'll never be brought in for defense or rebounding. He doesn't have the base. While he should try and improve those areas, he should concentrate much more on developing his jump shot. Floor spacing and ball movement is how the NBA works nowadays.

Probably but you seemed to think he couldn't handle it. You can't dribble length of the court and slam it home if you don't have any ballhandling skills as you say.

Doing that in college isn't the same as playing w the big boys. If he can't handle it like JU, he will be lucky to ever see meaningful time in the league.

And yet they would be a tremendous upgrade for your boy White.

Hey Legend. Nice to hear from you again. Still clueless as usual? LOL. I'm not sure if your ego or stupidity gets more in the way of you actually posting something that makes sense. It's basically a toss up at this point.

Mock drafts have him in mid second round. Most second rounders don't make it? Are there stats to back that up?

Mock drafts have him in mid second round. Most second rounders don't make it? Are there stats to back that up?

I haven't seen that stat....but I did see one where at the start of the 2014 season there were 102 2nd Round Picks on NBA Rosters, or about 22% of the league. White will be like many of them...the most important thing is not the draft position but rather which franchise selects them.

I haven't seen that stat....but I did see one where at the start of the 2014 season there were 102 2nd Round Picks on NBA Rosters, or about 22% of the league. White will be like many of them...the most important thing is not the draft position but rather which franchise selects them.

Your insights are simply incredible. Anybody ever tell you that before? LOL

Odds are certainly against Whitey making it but you never know. If he finds the right opportunity then he has a shot. He can still develop quite a bit I believe so he has that going for him.

Interesting...he's not even 6'8" (w/o shoes, as measured at combine).

Just a reminder that ESPN2 will be covering the NBA combine today and tomorrow from 2:00 - 6:00 PM.

White's team (they play at 2:30 Thursday and 4:30 on Friday):
Brandon Ashley
Ryan Boatright
Anthony Brown
Rakeem Christmas
George de Paula
Olivier Hanlan
Corey Hawkins
J.P. Tokoto
Aaron White

Here were White's workout #s:

Lane Agility: 11.62 secs (29th out of 35)
Shuttle Run: 3.15 (t20th out of 33)
3 Quarter Sprint: 3.38 (t28th out of 35)
Standing Vertical: 30 inches (16th out of 36)
Max Vertical Leap: 35 inches (18th out of 35)

Here were White's workout #s:

Lane Agility: 11.62 secs (29th out of 35)
Shuttle Run: 3.15 (t20th out of 33)
3 Quarter Sprint: 3.38 (t28th out of 35)
Standing Vertical: 30 inches (16th out of 36)
Max Vertical Leap: 35 inches (18th out of 35)

Hopefully Gatens can hook him up with a good place to live.

Last edited:
Hopefully Gatens can hook him up with a good place to live.

You need to remember those #s are for all the players who performed...not just the forwards are centers, which is who AW will truly be compared to.

And I don't think teams were hoping to be blown away by his athleticism after all the games/practices they have seen him play in. He is not an elite athlete by NBA standards, but he is certainly athletic enough to make it in the league. Lots of guys can run fast and jump out of the gym, but if you don't know where to go and when to jump it doesn't really do any good. White has shown he know how to find the seams in a defense and make back cuts at the right times, which are skills some players never seem to grasp.

These games are going to allow him to showcase some of what he can do, but many of the PGs aren't exactly going to be looking to make the best pass so just because he creates the opportunity on a play it doesn't mean he will be rewarded, and his offensive #s will suffer from that.

I hope to be getting a report from someone who is there and will post it here when/if I do.

A place to live overseas.

I saw his dunk in the second half of his game today. Other than that he didn't seem to do anything the few minutes I watched him play.
You need to remember those #s are for all the players who performed...not just the forwards are centers, which is who AW will truly be compared to.

And I don't think teams were hoping to be blown away by his athleticism after all the games/practices they have seen him play in. He is not an elite athlete by NBA standards, but he is certainly athletic enough to make it in the league. Lots of guys can run fast and jump out of the gym, but if you don't know where to go and when to jump it doesn't really do any good. White has shown he know how to find the seams in a defense and make back cuts at the right times, which are skills some players never seem to grasp.

These games are going to allow him to showcase some of what he can do, but many of the PGs aren't exactly going to be looking to make the best pass so just because he creates the opportunity on a play it doesn't mean he will be rewarded, and his offensive #s will suffer from that.

I hope to be getting a report from someone who is there and will post it here when/if I do.
White is crazy athletic! I don't care what his measurables were. Dude can get up!

There is little doubt the majority of us are waiting on the edge of our seats for your "inside" story and scoop of what exactly transpired today. Add to that your incredible insights and knowledgeable comments and it's nothing short of like having a courtside seat.

I get all of that and also get his sneakiness etc. around the basket. That's a nice skill to have but, unfortunately, doesn't overcome his other offensive and defensive shortcomings he had when he finished his career at Iowa.

Hopefully he's been working hard on all of those and ends up on a roster.

White needs to play D. As an NBA guy coming off the bench, he won't be expected to score much, but he will be expected to rebound and play hard Defense and push the pace in transition. He must use his energy to play D. He will have problems like Settles did. Jess was too small to guard the 4 and too slow to guard good 3 men. White will stick with someone in the league, but maybe not the team that drafts him.
He will get stronger. he can improve his ball handling with time, he may or may not improve his outside shot. NBA range is significantly deeper and we don't know if White truly improved his outside shot his last month or if he just hit a hot streak. White is smart and coaches love smart.
I wish him well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT