ADVERTISEMENT

Why Iowa lost

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

IOWA LOST because South Carolina scored more points.

duh GIF
No South Carolina had women that resemble grown men. That is why they won.

Reactions: BlameIt
maybe they thought o'grady could be up to the task? maybe not....
You may recall that Sharon Goodman was the starting C for Iowa at the start of the season.

She started several games and played substantial minutes until it became painfully obvious that she couldn’t guard a closed door.

No, it wasn't depth. No, it wasn't because of tired legs coming out of a tough regional. It was because Iowa did not address their weakness from last year when Iowa got demolished on the boards then too. This time around against SC, SC had about 50 rebounds to Iowa's 25 just like last year. Last year, SC wasn't much of a threat from the 3 point line and they fixed that weakness. Iowa did nothing to fix their weakness. Iowa only had a sluggard's chance to win that game. It was going to take very good shooting and that did not happen. Stuelke is a power forward and not a center. She is a very good power forward. Will Iowa get a real center for next season? Remains to be seen. Maybe Bluder gave it her best to get a real center last off season and just couldn't get the job done.
I will take a final four loss with a team built from scratch over a team bought and paid for and just one and done

Iowa lost because we couldn't hit outside shots consistently in the 2nd half. When we hit outside shots and trade 3 for 2 then the rebounding could be neutralized like against LSU and teams with bigger players. Im guessing if you looked back in the few loses we had we were out rebounded but also probably struggled from the field at the same time. Does Iowa need a big athletic center yes but that didn't cost us the championship.
Yes, it did cost us a championship to not have a big that could compete in that moment. Clark with a 6'5" big with some decent feet and hands would be a pick and roll nightmare for everyone, including South Carolina.

It would be nearly unstoppable - heck- her with Czinano at 6'3" was nearly in itself. I'm not upset with Bluder for not landing a big, as the market just wasn't that great this past offseason. But it was a huge missed opportunity not to get the big shiny trophy with a once in a lifetime player in Clark.

If we are ever going to break through and be something more than a bridesmaid - we have to be more vocal that this school needs to push the chips all in when the moment calls for it.

Reactions: shudaddy
They're all bought and paid for. Clark was the highest paid NIL athlete in the history of college athletics this year.
After she came to Iowa though. We didn’t connect her with Gatorade, State Farm, Nike, etc, to get her to sign on the dotted line with us. She earned her endorsements by her play. Which was supposed to be the way that NIL worked rather than this new world of promising money to players if they’ll sign or transfer to a school.

There's a weird fatalism about this whole discussion, searching for some reason we were always inevitably going to lose this game.

We were down 5 with the ball in the 4th quarter and the truth is that if we make an extra shot or two or they miss a couple of those threes, we have a great chance at pulling the game out.

There's a weird fatalism about this whole discussion, searching for some reason we were always inevitably going to lose this game.

We were down 5 with the ball in the 4th quarter and the truth is that if we make an extra shot or two or they miss a couple of those threes, we have a great chance at pulling the game out.
Oh, I dunno. I think the outcome would still be the same.

It's like the fans who think Iowa would have beaten Louisville in 1980 if Lester hadn't gotten hurt. I still think Louisville would have won anyway.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have found a 6'7" guy to simulate Cardoso in practice the day before the game and done nothing but rebounding drills trying to box him out or tip the ball away. Stuelke is a great player but she needed to try and get away with some extra physicality and grabbing. I personally think the she and Ogrady should have played in such a a way as to both foul out by the end of the 4th.

The only alternative would've had to happen in the offseason, find a non-basketball 6'7" woman somewhere overseas and pay her $100k NIL money to sit on the bench until this specific game.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have found a 6'7" guy to simulate Cardoso in practice the day before the game and done nothing but rebounding drills trying to box him out or tip the ball away. Stuelke is a great player but she needed to try and get away with some extra physicality and grabbing. I personally think the she and Ogrady should have played in such a a way as to both foul out by the end of the 4th.

The only alternative would've had to happen in the offseason, find a non-basketball 6'7" woman somewhere overseas and pay her $100k NIL money to sit on the bench until this
Hack a Shaq game plan . We just didnt have enough players to.foul Cordoso when she got the rebound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT