ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup

For the record, I was kidding around there, as this match sounded reminiscent of his loss to Amuchastegui at Nationals as a freshman. Ruth does have some serious skills that just don't seem to have quite translated to freestyle yet. There's no doubt he has tremendous potential. Hope he gets it going and does some serious damage internationally.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this will be streamed again today (https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-cup-senior-7) or do we need to hunt it down somewhere else (tv or other stream).

The first dual against Mongolia will be streamed and medal matches will be shown on TV tonight. Not sure what channel though.

Originally posted by HAWKMANN:
The first dual against Mongolia will be streamed and medal matches will be shown on TV tonight. Not sure what channel though.
Thanks Hawkmann. Hope to be able to find these and watch. Made for some good entertainment last night watching Tony and Brent win and the team pull it out with Tervel.

Originally posted by HAWKMANN:

Originally posted by Jackhawk87:

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:

Originally posted by akaoni:
Announcer speculated that Ruth may have popped shoulder out during scramble preceding fall. Curiously, the Russian wrestler tapped his own shoulder earlier in the match, probably unrelated but I noticed it.
I heard it was a torn meniscus. . . .

That is what I thought when I was watching it. Seemed to be the same problem he had a nationals his freshman year. Hopefully he comes back just as strong.

Seriously though, that guy needs to develop some defense, some mental toughness, and wrestle the entire 6 minutes though. He has such tremendous physical abilities. If he learned how to wrestle smart and tough, he could be a multiple time Olympic gold medalist IMO.

Isn't he wrestling with Cael, Varner, and DT? You would think that he would be developing the freestyle abilities faster than he is. He doesn't look any different than last year to me. Last year, it seemed like McD and Ruth were in the same boat of needing to learn freestyle better and develop better defense. McD is improving, Ruth - not so much.

Disclaimer - I haven't seen Ruth wrestle all that much.
In the match prior he was down 13-6 against the returning world silver medalist and rattled off 16 unanswered points to win. That shows some pretty good mental toughness in my opinion.
I am not sure what the right wording is. He just doesn't seem to be very focused at times. When he goes, he definitely can score and score big. He has the ability to beat anyone, but if he isn't focused and wrestling to his ability, he can be pretty average against the seasoned guys out there.

When is this supposed to start? 1pm CST?

BTW, 3rd place match is on USN at 630pm (CH 402 DISH). 1st place match is on NBC Sports at 8 pm (CH 159 DISH).

Ramos the only one getting close on a shot. Not sure why it took so long to call the Mongolian for passivity. TRam clearly the agressor.

Metcalf wins 8-2. Nice match by Brent. That Mongolian was tough and aggressive with a gas tank.

Is this broadcast serious? Skipped the whole Ramos match and 3/4 of the Scott match. My goodness. Just went and read Twitter for the updates, sounds like Ramos lost 5-5 on criteria and the officiating missed some big points by Ramos. U.S. Down 2-0 early.

Watched the Ramos match online. Sounded like he should've had a 2 takedown and 2 exposure but didn't get the exposure.

I don't know how many times this weekend it seemed an international guy was dead to rights and got out of a takedown that was seemingly 99% completed. The limp legs, ability to avoid the TD when a guy has standing rear position are a couple things that stand out to me about the guys at this level. Not saying our homegrown guys are easy to score on at all, but there is definitely a different style between foreign and domestic..........not sure I'm a high enough level spectator to pick up on all of it.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:39 PM by moug

ADVERTISEMENT