ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Iowa MBB in years?

This game was painful to watch. The kids were playing almost desperately. They looked poorly- coached and out-manned by an average Big Ten team. Also, Fran needs to see a professional individual with psych training. Very embarrassing when a highly-paid coach can't keep his emotions together, year after year. I can't blame the kids. Very slightly above-average players who seem out of their element. We'll beat the patsies this season and struggle against the good teams.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
This game was painful to watch. The kids were playing almost desperately. They looked poorly- coached and out-manned by an average Big Ten team. Also, Fran needs to see a professional individual with psych training. Very embarrassing when a highly-paid coach can't keep his emotions together, year after year. I can't blame the kids. Very slightly above-average players who seem out of their element. We'll beat the patsies this season and struggle against the good teams.
This. (Except I think we also struggle against average teams, like the one we played today.)

We haven’t seen this level of weakness and poor play since at least the Lick years. But at least his teams had a few players who could play.

Fran appears to have a team full of high schoolers.

This team is far better than anything Lickliter brought into Iowa.

A solid regular season, the tournament, and an occasional sweet 16. I think that’s what most folks desire and should realistically expect.
Part three ain’t gonna happen under Fran.
none of those are happening this year

michigan and ISU aren't good teams, this team is just that bad

Reactions: 504hawk
Defense rating down to 162 in KenPom, trending to the 2018 level of bad defense

If he spent as much time actually worrying about coaching his team as he did making a fool of himself to the refs maybe we'd be better. He looks like a loser out there going bonkers about calls that aren't even that egregious. And he looks out of touch when he talks about the offense being the problem when they give up 90 to 2 average teams.

well it's about time to switch pages and put all our energy into supporting the woman's team this year

they are the only team with a shot a tourney run

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
The figures mentioned by Leistikow and I liberally quoted here are brutal, just brutal. These were not off-nights for shooting. Poor interior defense, poor ball-handling and movement, inability to create space for an open shot, lack of composure — those are all systemic and typical of Fran McCaffrey-coached teams.
It's hard to shoot when people are all over you defensively (not fouling either) we just can't generate space. That's what happens when you don't play an actual PG.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
Who cares at this point. Are you willing to accept 1 more win than lickliter had each year from now on. Lickliter has never been the benchmark. The problem is acceptance by comparison.
I'm not willing to accept 1 more win than Lickliter but let's be fair, that's not what Fran has done. I would say Dr. Tom is the benchmark here.

Fran's win percentage is very close to what Dr. Tom did here and Dr. Tom inherited a program stacked with talent. Fran inherited a dumpster fire.

Fran has failed in the post season when you compare to Dr. Tom and that's unacceptable for sure.

I'm not willing to accept 1 more win than Lickliter but let's be fair, that's not what Fran has done. I would say Dr. Tom is the benchmark here.

Fran's win percentage is very close to what Dr. Tom did here and Dr. Tom inherited a program stacked with talent. Fran inherited a dumpster fire.

Fran has failed in the post season when you compare to Dr. Tom and that's unacceptable for sure.
This is where we get to one of the significant differences in the fan base and how they assess Fran's tenure.
I'm very clearly in one camp; NCAA tourney performance is THE single most important metric. I don't care about finishing high in the league standings if it means crapping out in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. Others don't see it that way. I don't consider one more "right" than the other. I know that for myself, as a comparison, I'd take a final four run plus a couple of sweet 16s over a 10 year time period and never once finishing higher than 4th in the league during that same time frame vs winning the B1G and never getting past the first weekend.

This is where we get to one of the significant differences in the fan base and how they assess Fran's tenure.
I'm very clearly in one camp; NCAA tourney performance is THE single most important metric. I don't care about finishing high in the league standings if it means crapping out in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney. Others don't see it that way. I don't consider one more "right" than the other. I know that for myself, as a comparison, I'd take a final four run plus a couple of sweet 16s over a 10 year time period and never once finishing higher than 4th in the league during that same time frame vs winning the B1G and never getting past the first weekend.
I agree with the bold. If you do not win the BIG no big deal although it would be nice to compete for it once in awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT