ADVERTISEMENT

WTT Session 2

What happened I see dd made the best of 3!!!!
Dennis had a couple great opportunities including one with Maple's leg raised but couldn't finish. Down 4-2 after a couple of pushouts he took Maple down twice in the last 30 seconds for the win. Dennis is just unbelievably crafty, and is great from upper body ties. Should be interesting with Humphrey whom excels at several of the same positions. Hopefully Dan can avoid getting tossed.

Dennis was losing on criteria, got in position with a go behind, and maple's knee hit with 1 second.

Dennis had a couple great opportunities including one with Maple's leg raised but couldn't finish. Down 4-2 after a couple of pushouts he took Maple down twice in the last 30 seconds for the win. Dennis is just unbelievably crafty, and is great from upper body ties. Should be interesting with Humphrey whom excels at several of the same positions. Hopefully Dan can avoid getting tossed.
Good too see DD not losing those upper body situations and being the one completing the come back late...

What criteria was DD losing on? I was confused by this as they each scored a 2 point move, DD scored last and Maple has two cautions. Any experts want to chime in?

BTW - Ballard of Huxley's Rachel Watters is in the consolation semis. She is the first Iowa young woman to make the Junior World team and her only loss in the Senior tournament so far is to Olympic bronze medalist, Randi Miller. Not bad for someone who attended her high school senior prom just a few weeks ago.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
What criteria was DD losing on? I was confused by this as they each scored a 2 point move, DD scored last and Maple has two cautions. Any experts want to chime in?

I was confused too, but the rule is # of amplitude of scoring. So most 4 point scores, followed by most 2 point scores. At the time maple had 2 TDs to one for Dennis.

Criteria:

-amplitude
-# of caution
-last to score

Personally, I'd like to see the last one changed to first one to score. In a perfect world, they'd go to OT.

While I am not sure the criteria used is perfect I am coming around to criteria more and more. If Dennis and Maple would have been tied 4-4 and there was OT the last 30 seconds of that match would have been boring as both wrestlers wouldn't take any risk and wait till the OT period (like we always see in folkstyle). Instead, we got fireworks because their backs were against the wall (especially since both thought they were losing).

Thanks for the clarification pumpdog. The criteria is a double edged sword. Sometimes it creates great action and other times it's just flat out confusing. Maybe it would be better if there was a 60 second overtime period and then criteria came into play. All I know is that this weekend has had some very entertaining matches. Call me crazy but with the current rules, freestyle is more enjoyable to watch than folkstyle. And the new folkstyle rule changes for this coming season will compound the issue in my opinion.

Dennis was due for a big last-second win. Very happy for him!

Dake again shows he's a freak. Kid is absolutely unreal. Really frustrating to see so much talent stacked up at 74 kg for the USA. Sure could use 10 weight classes, as it should be.

Reactions: 86_90
Dennis loses by tech. Got leg laced 3 or 4 times at the end, but he was struggling from his feet before that anyway. He's going to struggle to take one from Reece.

Metcalf wins 9-4. Oliver's points came from a failed throw attempt by metcalf when he was up 7-0. Oliver is more interested in pushing than actually wrestling.

I'm struggling to think of a HWC loss where our guy didn't get beat on a string of leg laces. Definitely some good wins and a couple guys on the world team, so plenty to be happy about in the way the HWC guys competed.

Started watching on NBCSports and they didn't show the first round. Thought it was supposed to start at 5PM central...they were already to Metcalf's match when I turned on Flo. Now they are showing women's wrestling.

Last edited:
I thought the news rules would help the past Hawks at the world level and it sure has. It is nice to see the rules working to Metcalf's advantage and his style instead of it penalizing him. It is nice to see him make another world team. I hope he can bring home a medal from the worlds.

Great showing by the HWC...Yea, Dennis dropped two to Reece but he was close in the second and is just getting back into competition.

Caught Metcalf's first match and it seemed like JO was trying to start sh*t and maybe get Metcalf off his game. Pretty funny to watch actually.

Thanks for the clarification pumpdog. The criteria is a double edged sword. Sometimes it creates great action and other times it's just flat out confusing. Maybe it would be better if there was a 60 second overtime period and then criteria came into play. All I know is that this weekend has had some very entertaining matches. Call me crazy but with the current rules, freestyle is more enjoyable to watch than folkstyle. And the new folkstyle rule changes for this coming season will compound the issue in my opinion.
You asked for it.................... you're crazy! :D To each his own of course. Even "boring" Folkstyle is much better than anything Freestyle. Love that the Hawks are doing well at what they want to do however. Wish them and all representing the USA well!

Last edited:
You asked for it.................... you're crazy! :D To each his own of course. Even "boring" Folkstyle is much better than anything Freestyle. Love that the Hawks are doing well at what they want to do however. Wish them and all representing the USA well!
I'm not quite where clhawks00 is, but I have to admit I'm on the path. Freestyle is tons better than it used to be, and folkstyle has regressed markedly during the last decade. Never thought I'd feel that way. Never.

Dennis was due for a big last-second win. Very happy for him!

Dake again shows he's a freak. Kid is absolutely unreal. Really frustrating to see so much talent stacked up at 74 kg for the USA. Sure could use 10 weight classes, as it should be.
Dennis got royally ripped in that last match. First period he is dinged for the 30 second, and does not score. In the second, the customary return ding on Humphrey's takes place and he doesn't score either. Then out of nowhere came another ding on Dennis. I was furious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT