ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster to Iowa? nope

Yeah, this makes so much sense.

Rumors abound that Foster has lost interest in Iowa and Iowa fans soon become experts on high school players' talent level and potential.

Smh.

Yeah, this makes so much sense.

Rumors abound that Foster has lost interest in Iowa and Iowa fans soon become experts on high school players' talent level and potential.

Smh.
If you’re referring to me, I admitted that I haven’t even seen him play lol

He was 6'8', not that it matters...he was a dominant post player, which you said they haven't had since before his time.
I think he was listed at 6-7, which was generous. I was wrong about Brackins. The McDermott years are not bright in my memory.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
I think he was listed at 6-7, which was generous. I was wrong about Brackins. The McDermott years are not bright in my memory.

I actually met Brackins in person back when he was trying to cut his teeth with the 76ers. Super great guy and definitely a legit 6'10. I'm 6'5 and he towered over me.

Anyway, I asked him what it was like playing for Doug Collins. He shared a funny story about a practice in which a player screwed up and Collins mistakenly thought it was Craig and started cussing him out. Craig was off to the side and sheepishly raised his hand and said, "Uh, Coach, I'm right here." Collins looked over and glared at him for a second, realizing the error, then barked, "Well, god d*****, Craig. That's something you would have done!"

Lol.

A Norwalk assistant coach, whose team BEAT Osky said that Xavier is soft. I think his stats are pretty Pedestrian for a 7 footer playing 3A competition. Quite frankly, I think you will see nearly everyone back away from him.
Perfect. He would fit right in at Iowa. All fran has to say is, "we like to play soft as **** here".

Reactions: HeathForrester
Foster to UNC. Next Iowa coach signs an Ogelsby clone and passes on team mate Washpun, and cycle repeats.

You do realize at the time Ogelsby was 4* top 150 on rivals and Washpun only big offer was Tenn. and that was because he was originally committed to him at some other MVC then Cuonzo Martin got the Tenn. job. If we had gotten Washpun sure be plenty complaining and vice versa if Oglesby went to Virginia or Minnesota who had offered him.

This thread is like the Max Dugan of football this summer/fall. In the end I bet neither in state school gets him and he ends up at a blue blood.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'm sure ISU is recruiting him, but how long has it been since ISU has had a coach whose system featured a really dominant post man? I'm thinking it probably would have been Johnny Orr when Victor Alexander, and later, Loren Meyer. Eustachy's Elite Eighth team had two 6-10 guys, but neither Martin Rancik nor Paul Shirley started that year, and they were only 6-10, anyway.

Fizer, Niang, White. Some of them may not have been traditional posts but when they have a good low post guy they feature him. Not sure what height has to do with anything either.

Everyone's system fits Foster, including Iowa's. That said, I have no insight as to where he is going to school.
While it’s true that every school can find a place for a good player, Iowa is uniquely positioned to make the pitch of not only being close to home, but also having had stretch 4s being consistently recruited and successfully utilized there. The best of these, Uthoff, had a rather similar skill set: great shooter, rebounder, shotblocker (outside in offensive player) who had great success at Iowa. Fran can also point to the fact that Uthoff has proven to be a fringe NBA player. Since Foster has all of these things plus what Uthoff lacked in his NBA bid- physicality, an obvious path can be sold that Iowa has experience in developing his kind of talent to an NBA level, and that from this perspective there’s no reason to go to any other team than the one he rooted for growing up (Iowa) for college.

While it’s true that every school can find a place for a good player, Iowa is uniquely positioned to make the pitch of not only being close to home, but also having had stretch 4s being consistently recruited and successfully utilized there. The best of these, Uthoff, had a rather similar skill set: great shooter, rebounder, shotblocker (outside in offensive player) who had great success at Iowa. Fran can also point to the fact that Uthoff has proven to be a fringe NBA player. Since Foster has all of these things plus what Uthoff lacked in his NBA bid- physicality, an obvious path can be sold that Iowa has experience in developing his kind of talent to an NBA level, and that from this perspective there’s no reason to go to any other team than the one he rooted for growing up (Iowa) for college.

Not to be contrarian, but Iowa State can make this exact same argument with guys like Niang and Abdel Nader currently being in the NBA. Good players can literally be used in any system.

Reminds me a bit of Nunge - long, lean, comfortable at the arc out to 24 feet. Can take you inside but is more of a stretch 4. A bit more athletic than Nunge but doesn't always play to that athleticism. Doing a much better job rebounding and blocking shots this year - his anticipation and activity level are the main concerns, but even at his current level he'd be a solid Power 5 player.

You said post players.
I said a dominant post player like....and named four guys, all of them 6-10. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant a really big guy. traditional center. But since I wrote that, I have deduced from the other posts that Foster isn't that kind of player, anyway.

So forget I said anything....except the part about not following recruiting closely ;)

Reactions: David1979
The problem is that there are several other schools that can make that pitch from a much stronger position, and one of those schools is about the same distance from Osky as Iowa City.

The problem is that there are several other schools that can make that pitch from a much stronger position, and one of those schools is about the same distance from Osky as Iowa City.

'Much stronger' interesting, can you support Prohm on that part? Well other than 'because I said so'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT