ADVERTISEMENT

Yates to UNI

Awesome...Would rather Rudy be at UNI then at a B1G school. Now lets go sign Suriano!

I knew Yates was probably going to UNI but couldn't really spill all the beans. Known him and his dad since the youth wrestling days. Fun kid.
I think Suriano lands at Iowa.

Do you know Suriano's family too? Bc getting Suriano and Lee would be perfect

Bummer, I really liked Rudy. Very competitive and seems like a really great kid. I hope who we have in house ends up better or I am going to be kind of pissed.

I knew Yates was probably going to UNI but couldn't really spill all the beans. Known him and his dad since the youth wrestling days. Fun kid.
I think Suriano lands at Iowa.

Seems like a great kid. Would have been happy with him at Iowa. That motor tho.

It says on the intermat write up that he projects to be a 133 lber. I wonder if this is in fact true will Alber go to 141. I guess I assumed Yates would be 125.

Congrats to Rudy. Would have loved for him to be a Hawkeye. Tons of fun to watch. Good luck to him!!

Reactions: whejoe
No to sh%t on his parade, but I read an interview where Yates said what ultimately convinced him to sign with UNI was that that's where you go to win multiple National Titles. Has any panther won multiple titles ever? Certainly not in recent memory. I can't remember the last time a panther won one title. Better Yates at UNI than in the B10 though. Praying for Suriano and Lee

No to sh%t on his parade, but I read an interview where Yates said what ultimately convinced him to sign with UNI was that that's where you go to win multiple National Titles. Has any panther won multiple titles ever? Certainly not in recent memory. I can't remember the last time a panther won one title. Better Yates at UNI than in the B10 though. Praying for Suriano and Lee

I think it's phrased a little differently which is key. He said he wants to go to a college that will prepare him to make multiple title runs and he believes Doug Schwab and his staff can get him there. While Schwab hasn't coached a NCAA champion at UNI yet, he was a coach during Brent Metcalf's college career, so technically he has helped a guy win a NCAA title.

Tony Davis was the last in 2000. Dylan Long was a runner-up in 2003 and Sean Stender the same in 2005.

I think it's phrased a little differently which is key. He said he wants to go to a college that will prepare him to make multiple title runs and he believes Doug Schwab and his staff can get him there. While Schwab hasn't coached a NCAA champion at UNI yet, he was a coach during Brent Metcalf's college career, so technically he has helped a guy win a NCAA title.

Also Mark Perry - Schwab was in Perry's corner for both of his titles.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I know so cal said "in recent memory", but I think the McCuskey/ISTC legacy is relevant. The Panthers of that era had three 3X champs (Bill Koll, Bill Nelson and Keith Young) and 2 two-timers who were Olympic medalists (Bill Smith - gold and Gerry Leeman - silver). That heritage is one element of the "package" that Doug presents to recruits and he is backed by a strong alumni commitment. Doug is going to continue to land top kids for a variety of reasons and I wish him well.

SHAMELESS PLUG - Wrestling for Life will sponsor our second Middle School Wrestling Night at the Panther home opener against Missouri. UNI will allow us up to 200 tickets and I want to use every one.

Saw this on the Penn state board from the Des Moines Register

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...by-for-illinois-standout-rudy-yates/30451027/

"He picked Northern Iowa over Maryland, Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern and Minnesota and lesser interest from Ohio State, Penn State and Oklahoma State."

Does this mean we were not pursuing him at all? If so, that makes me feel a little better on our chances with Suriano/Lee/Hall or multiples.

Saw this on the Penn state board from the Des Moines Register

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...by-for-illinois-standout-rudy-yates/30451027/

"He picked Northern Iowa over Maryland, Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern and Minnesota and lesser interest from Ohio State, Penn State and Oklahoma State."

Does this mean we were not pursuing him at all? If so, that makes me feel a little better on our chances with Suriano/Lee/Hall or multiples.
It means Iowa was not in his top 8, has nothing to do with chances at those other 3 and Iowa gets at least 1 of those.

Last edited:
Nice work Sloe. Right off the top of your head, or internet assisted?
I assure you I'm not that good! I knew the situations for them, and approximate years, but I had to look up to be sure. Really liked Stender, he was tough, 3X AA.

Even tho he might know the answer to your ? Slim don't operate like that as he made clear long ago I believe,but like your thinking.:)
I was hoping he'd read something I hadn't on some Illinois rag or whatever. Certainly didn't expect him to give up any confidential info. Trax is a 5 for so recruit at 182 and I thought it strange that there really hasn't been to much out there about his plans.

Reactions: NLhawk62
From reading all the tea leaves (or more like an IQ logic problem - if A doesn't equal B and C etc., etc. etc.) , it sounds as if PPS is pretty confident with Suriano to Iowa.

From reading all the tea leaves (or more like an IQ logic problem - if A doesn't equal B and C etc., etc. etc.) , it sounds as if PPS is pretty confident with Suriano to Iowa.
Hope so. Should know by end of month. At least that's when he said he wanted to decide by.

Reactions: Knight563
I think PPS is probably thinking Lee to Iowa. When others predicted Suriano to PSU, Pletcher to Pitt, Hall to Minny, and Yates to Iowa, PPS said 3 of 4. We know Yates didn't go to Iowa and was never going to Iowa, so he probably thinks those other three are going to the predicted locations, ipso facto Lee for Iowa!!!

#lawyered

I think PPS is probably thinking Lee to Iowa. When others predicted Suriano to PSU, Pletcher to Pitt, Hall to Minny, and Yates to Iowa, PPS said 3 of 4. We know Yates didn't go to Iowa and was never going to Iowa, so he probably thinks those other three are going to the predicted locations, ipso facto Lee for Iowa!!!

#lawyered

Disagree. There is another poster on here who is pretty in tune with what is going on, most everything he posted rung true. And despite Ihawk9's postings about Lee and his girlfriend (jeez, gmab), Lee has quite a ways to go. But in all likelihood, Iowa and PSU will be there in the end.

Suriano makes too much sense. Love to have him at PSU, but just doesn't seem to be in the works. He'd have verballed already I think. Suriano goes to Iowa, PSU then grabs Red, Pletcher to Pitt. JMO, of course, and probably won't even come close to happening.

Reactions: HAWKMANN
It means Iowa was not in his top 8, has nothing to do with chances at those other 3 and Iowa gets at least 1 of those.

Out of curiosity, on a 1 to 10 scale, what do you think Iowa's chances are to get 2?

*edit*

Also (not meaning to hijack this thread) do you know how Adarios Jones is doing?

He makes nothing but positive tweets, but the hidden context seems to be that he is still battling.

#lawyered
Haven't gotten around to that other board to reply yet but Yates will be in "Iowa" ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT