ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes Vanderbilt

I don't know what you can read into any of the decisions being made. Duke and KU have 4-5 guys in the portal and have landed a couple. Minnesota appears to have their whole team in the portal and has added 2-3 guys. I am sure in some cases decisions are being driven by PT, not clicking with the coach, being homesick, etc., but I also think it creates a Twitter-worthy moment for kids to get attention and pretend they are an NBA free agent.

The domino effect of a team getting someone from the portal is causing the second wave of guys to enter the portal, so no end in sight I suspect.

Yeah and now they’re going to Vanderbilt!

Seems like the family chose "Uncle economics" over the best interests of the player. With things going the direction they are, some AD's would be considering cutting the coach loose. However, Vandy's Prez and AD probably aren't the kind to dump a coach just for having a lousy season or two and perhaps another one on the horizon.

The good news for Robbins is that the NBA will find a good player wherever he may be. On the other hand, if the supporting cast is poor, it may cost Robbins in his first contract. Hope he gets one.

littlez - Clearly he wouldn't have gotten the national exposure by staying at Drake. Believe he made the right move going to a P5 school to gain exposure for his future.

Seems like the family chose "Uncle economics" over the best interests of the player. With things going the direction they are, some AD's would be considering cutting the coach loose. However, Vandy's Prez and AD probably aren't the kind to dump a coach just for having a lousy season or two and perhaps another one on the horizon.

The good news for Robbins is that the NBA will find a good player wherever he may be. On the other hand, if the supporting cast is poor, it may cost Robbins in his first contract. Hope he gets one.
If you take the uncle out of the equation, the move makes absolutely no sense. Playing for the worst team in the SEC, and for a guy whose name has some clout but is mostly inexperienced and unproven as a head coach.

Iowa, and probably a number of other P5 programs, could offer him a starting role and major minutes, and those situations would be more stable and with a much better chance of making the tournament.

His uncle must really be something I guess.

littlez - Clearly he wouldn't have gotten the national exposure by staying at Drake. Believe he made the right move going to a P5 school to gain exposure for his future.

Not sure I agree.

With him Drake may have made a nice run in the tournament.

More people probably know who Jesefu is from two games than most of Minnesotas former roster.

And national exposure doesn't mean anything anyway.

I thought Vandy was landing some big recruits?
Stackhouse has some transfers coming in to help balance all those leaving (5 or 6 current players), but his 2021 HS recruiting class is nothing special. He did get a big recruit from the Dallas area for 2022, and his teammate came as a package deal. If Vandy finishes last in the SEC for the third straight year in Stackhouse's first 3 years (3-13 and 3-13 so far), he may not be around for 2022. Robbins had no basketball or "close to the family" reason to go to Vandy, just his uncle. Robbins better be a star there, because he isn't going to be surrounded by much that I know about.

Besides Robbins, the two transfers Vanderbilt has coming in averaged 2ppg for a bad TCU team and 8ppg for a mediocre Dayton squad. They'll have to hope they hit at least a couple more home runs in the transfer market to even have a chance at the NIT.

Reactions: skydog0784
Not sure I agree.

With him Drake may have made a nice run in the tournament.

More people probably know who Jesefu is from two games than most of Minnesotas former roster.

And national exposure doesn't mean anything anyway.
One week of NCAA tournament exposure does not equal Fox, ESPN, and the Big Ten Network. Pretty sure he would never have had that feature done on him at Drake.

Reactions: o2bahawk
May have reached peak college basketball interest a few years ago. This is becoming a joke.

What's the commercial, only 2% go pro and the rest do something other than sports? Yeah, you're not that good. Might as well be practicing being a dependable person for life after college.

But their coach could do this! :)

LastingAmusingIrishdraughthorse-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT