ADVERTISEMENT

You cannot say the big conference bias does not exist.

SFA and UNI both got completely jobbed at the end of regulation. Yeah, UNI choked, but some awful horrendous calls. Especially that late and 1 call where the UNI player didnt even touch him.

Refs went full tard trying to get the aggies back in the game and it worked

Amazing. After all the 1st round upsets, only 1 small conference school in the Sweet 16 with Gonzaga? (Unless Oregon loses, of course). 15 of the 16 from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC & Big East & possibly the Big 12.

Reactions: And1Hawk
SFA and UNI both got completely jobbed at the end of regulation. Yeah, UNI choked, but some awful horrendous calls. Especially that late and 1 call where the UNI player didnt even touch him.

Refs went full tard trying to get the aggies back in the game and it worked

Yup the refs were protecting the big boys. I would even say in the VCU game there were some phantom rebounding fouls that were head scratchers?? Those haven't been called all year and then all of sudden in the 2nd half they are fouls.

The one thing I have noticed this weekend watching basketball is the "stoppage" to go look at the clock, 2/3, whose it off of. I am sorry but you guys are getting paid a hefty amount and you cannot make those calls? I don't care, if you can't see it, you call like it is. You do not stop a game with 1:45 to look to see if its a 2/3. You continue playing and have the "Alternate" official look at it. The next stoppage, then adjust it. Its just a joke the amount of stoppages in the games. They took 1 TO away from each team, but with all the stoppages, I bet its added 10-20min per game. Takes way to long.

Amazing. After all the 1st round upsets, only 1 small conference school in the Sweet 16 with Gonzaga? (Unless Oregon loses, of course). 15 of the 16 from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC & Big East & possibly the Big 12.

Yep, if St Joes loses tonight and the Zags get knocked out next round it's on to end of hockey season for this guy. Sick of seeing the same dam teams every year. Not one good story left in this years tourney. You could make a case for Wisky.....but puke.

UNI didn't lose because of the officiating. They lost because they panicked.

There is no fargin' way you can pin all that on officiating. That was the single worst cough up job in NCAA tourney history.

But at the same time, to say there's "big conference bias".....a person needs to explain how the little conferences are able to beat the big conferences in the 1st round. Or are those used as a rub to see if they can repeat it in the 2nd round? And if so, why not keep it rolling for the little school if it's drawing people's attention?

There is no fargin' way you can pin all that on officiating. That was the single worst cough up job in NCAA tourney history.

No one denied UNI pissed it away. However the refs did allow A&M to hang around, that was obvious in the way the game was called. Touch fouls all second half on UNI led to top players fouling out, AM nothing.

Big Conference bias doesn't exist....oh crap look at that I just said it. Guess you were wrong

I am not pinning this 100% on the officials, Majority of the blame falls on the players for not being "tough" enough. I said the same thing after Iowa @ ISU earlier in the year. Both Iowa and UNI fell for the trap and just wilted. They were not mentally or physically tough.

My whole issue with game is the stoppages. Watching games all weekend there have been so many stoppages for minor things. The officials are making 2-3grand on these games and they continually have to go to the monitor. They need to look at changing it. Have a "replay" booth guy to look at the play on review and inform them. In the NCAA they have an "alternate" official at each "site" to help out with reviews. Why not have them look at it and either overturn the call or uphold it. They would not have to stop the game every 10 seconds to look at it. Just have him give a quick look and be done with it. Just like Football they have a guy in the booth, have a guy with all the reviews available to him to look at it. All the elbows and what not seems like it adds 20-30 minutes onto the game.

Sorry but those reviews are taking way to long. You saw in a couple of games this weekend, teams would be out of Time-Outs and those stoppages actually helped the one team. Its not fair and personally really kills the games flow. I would say teams can use their timeouts "left" to challenge. Otherwise its play on and if the officials made a mistake, so be it.

Reactions: anon_snp6dc585nnj4
St. Joe's has a 4 point lead on Oregon with less than 5 to go. Have to see if they can close it out.

That would never happen and a mid major making a run adds excitement to the tournament for the casual fan. There is no bias, college refs are just bad in general.

I tend to agree with this statement. Today there were some bad calls in every game. VCU game they started calling blocking out fouls that they hadn't called at all during the game. UNI game they stopped the game at least 5 times under 2 minutes to check stupid stuff. Oregon game they just missed an obvious block (kids feet in the circle). All weekend there have been just bad calls going both ways and tons of stoppage.

You do realize these officials get paid something like 1500-3,000 a game. I can't believe these guys can be that bad that their jobs and still collect paychecks. I just don't understand it and the sad thing its the same officials night in and night out. How does the NCAA keep the same guys?

St. Joe's couldn't close it out; Oregon wins. So, 15 of the "Sweet 16" come from what were BCS conferences. I know the NCAA doesn't control that, but they can't be too disappointed with those numbers. Those schools have alumni & fans that'll travel and spend money.

St. Joe's couldn't close it out; Oregon wins. So, 15 of the "Sweet 16" come from what were BCS conferences. I know the NCAA doesn't control that, but they can't be too disappointed with those numbers. Those schools have alumni & fans that'll travel and spend money.

Just explain to me why Nova is going to Kentucky, Kansas to Kentucky, Virgina to Chicago? UNC to Philly? How does that make any sense? WTF was the NCAA thinking?

The reviewing of stuff inside of 2 minutes is such a stupid concept. A blown call in the first 2 minutes of the game matters just as much as a blown call in the last 2 minutes of a game.

The reviewing of stuff inside of 2 minutes is such a stupid concept. A blown call in the first 2 minutes of the game matters just as much as a blown call in the last 2 minutes of a game.

This is absolutely correct. Furthermore, they need to create a box or something that the players stand in while a review is going on so they can't go to their bench and essentially get a free time out.

That or they create a review type system where a coach has to call a time out to get a review. I understand wanting to get calls/time right, but there has to be a happy medium.

UNI deserves plenty of blame for the loss, but not all. The refs do as well. I prefer they just get rid of the reviewing BS personally. Look at how the play with around 19 seconds left where the clock didn't start. They probably spent 3 or 4 minutes on that one clock reset. Give me a stop watch and, using elementary math, I could have figured it out in less than a minute! If the officials can't subtract....find someone who can!! The "foul" at the end of reg seemed BS to me and was a huge point....but didn't get a review?? ECT ECT

This is absolutely correct. Furthermore, they need to create a box or something that the players stand in while a review is going on so they can't go to their bench and essentially get a free time out.

That or they create a review type system where a coach has to call a time out to get a review. I understand wanting to get calls/time right, but there has to be a happy medium.

I imagine they put it in there because everyone focuses more on the blown calls in the last couple minutes. For example, the Woodbury shove on the game winner. If that happens in the first 2 minutes of the game, no one cares. Since it happened on the last play people freak out, which makes no sense.

But yes, I agree... it's obnoxious how they take 3-4 minutes to review an out of bounds play, only to draw the same conclusion that was originally called. This gives the team trying to make a comeback a free timeout and rest. Incredibly dumb.

I imagine they put it in there because everyone focuses more on the blown calls in the last couple minutes. For example, the Woodbury shove on the game winner. If that happens in the first 2 minutes of the game, no one cares. Since it happened on the last play people freak out, which makes no sense.

But yes, I agree... it's obnoxious how they take 3-4 minutes to review an out of bounds play, only to draw the same conclusion that was originally called. This gives the team trying to make a comeback a free timeout and rest. Incredibly dumb.

I remember watching a Big Ten game this year where the coach was out of Time-outs. It was under 2 min and there was a clear play of the ball going off of the defender. They still went to review it because they said there was an error with the clock?? That coach got a free time-out because of the clock error. After the review they never did change the clock.

I would like to see them use TO's to challenge. Give each team 5TO's a game. If there is a close play and the coach wants to use a TO to challenge, they can. If they don't have any TO's, then they don't get to challenge and the play stands regardless if the ruling is right or wrong. I just think they are using replay WAY TO MUCH. These officials have to be held accountable for their calls. Bailing them out using replay is wrong.

I remember watching a Big Ten game this year where the coach was out of Time-outs. It was under 2 min and there was a clear play of the ball going off of the defender. They still went to review it because they said there was an error with the clock?? That coach got a free time-out because of the clock error. After the review they never did change the clock.

I would like to see them use TO's to challenge. Give each team 5TO's a game. If there is a close play and the coach wants to use a TO to challenge, they can. If they don't have any TO's, then they don't get to challenge and the play stands regardless if the ruling is right or wrong. I just think they are using replay WAY TO MUCH. These officials have to be held accountable for their calls. Bailing them out using replay is wrong.

I think it's a conspiracy so CBS can go to commercial break half a dozen times in the last 2 minutes of the game.

I have thought for a long time that players shouldn't be allowed to consult with the coaches during a review.

The refs certainly don't need to have any more things to review but it seems to me there are probably as many mistakes made by the bench officials in not starting the clock on time as there are in not stopping it on time.

UNI choked a 12 point lead with 40 seconds left... that's almost seems impossible even with a few bad calls as that is a minimum of 4 possessions. I'm sorry but there's no excuse for that and do not give me 'our primary inbounder was hurt' either. No one else on the team knows how to inbound the ball at this level of basketball? Then that's also on the head coach for not rotating some guys in during that practice set.

By the way there is a bias because the big schools pay the bills. They bring the fan bases and eyeballs to these contests. CBS is not paying billions to host an MVC v SWAC championship game on their own viliation. Even with a bias there are many opportunities for advancement including last night and as others have pointed out including others like Witchita St a few years ago out of the MVC. If you do not like it start your own tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT