ADVERTISEMENT

Zero chance this team is making the tournament

Feb 25, 2008
Out of it well before we even get to B10 play.

Yikes.......

They sit at 7-8 after dropping two of three to f***ing Jacksonville State.

Trash, but then again, that's the BAU Iowa baseball I remember.

Things aren't looking great right now (understatement?) but stranger things have happened; teams have dug out of early season holes.

In my never ending effort to find a silver lining in otherwise dark grey clouds, I come back to Iowa leading - by a number of runs - many of the games in which they have lost late in the game. If Brecht, Morgan, and Obermueller can pitch to their known capabilities and Heller can somehow find 2 very reliable arms in the 'pen and 1 or 2 others who can consistently throw strikes, I think that they can turn Ls into Ws.

Still need consistent production at the plate (my biggest concern entering the season) but I'm still holding out hope that Heller, McGrath and Sutherland find a way to right the ship.

It's got to be a gloomy clubhouse. Maybe a road win in Athens will spark a fire.

The bullpen is the big issue. You just can’t trust anyone in there across the board right now.
Other than Brecht, Obi and MM have been pretty pedestrian. MM got moved back to Sunday is what I am hearing although that is 2nd hand info.

NOTHING is going right. Great starting pitching? BP sucks. Smashing the ball, SP sucks. BP is great, offense couldn't hit out of a wet paper bag. Seems to be a recurring theme.

Maybe they can get it right for the BIG, win the tourney, get a bid. IDK.

Nice job by Cade and the pen today. No margin for error the last few innings and they passed the test. Try and win the series tomorrow.

Cade Obermueller got the start Saturday, March 23rd at Purdue (Iowa would win 4-3).

Cade started the bottom of the 6th inning with the game tied 3-3. He gave up a single to the first batter and Heller immediately went to the bullpen and brought in Savary. Iowa would get out of the inning giving up 0 runs & stranding the Purdue runner at 3rd base.

Cade's line:
5 innings pitched
23 batters faced
91 pitches (48 strikes, 43 balls)

4 Hits allowed
4 walks
1 Hit batter
0 Wild pitches
0 Balks

4 strike outs

3 earned runs

1.60 WHIP for this game (4 walks + 4 hits / 5 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 6 starts and 28 innings pitched:

1.25 WHIP for the season
(20 walks + 15 hits / 28 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

2.89 ERA for the season

Nice series win, let's keep stringing them together! Nebraska at #10 RPI already? Wow...get some bullpen improvement and take your chances Hawks..might have to outslug the B10 teams 10-7 ish!

Nice series win, let's keep stringing them together! Nebraska at #10 RPI already? Wow...get some bullpen improvement and take your chances Hawks..might have to outslug the B10 teams 10-7 ish!

After dropping the opener, the Hawks bounced back to win 2 straight.

Hopefully they get the pitching figured out.

Marcus Morgan got the start in yesterday's 9-6 win at Purdue.

Marcus started the bottom of the 5th inning with Iowa leading 5-2. Marcus hit the first Purdue batter on the very first pitch; the 2nd batter flied out; the 3rd batter singled; the 4th batter walked, LOADING THE BASES; the 5th batter struck out looking; the 6th batter walked, allowing a run to score. Heller then went to the bullpen & brought in Whitlock, who struck out the next Purdue batter to end the inning. Iowa led 5-3 after 5 complete innings.

Marcus' line:
4 2/3 innings pitched
23 batters faced
85 pitches (49 strikes, 36 balls)

2 Hits allowed
4 walks
2 Hit batters
2 Wild pitches

0 Balks

3 strike outs

3 earned runs

1.28 WHIP for this game (4 walks + 2 hits / 4.67 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 6 starts and 23 2/3 innings pitched:

1.94 WHIP for the season
(22 walks + 24 hits / 23.67 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

8.37 ERA for the season

Reactions: BigOHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT