ADVERTISEMENT

Zone (long)

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
Wouldn't want to have to, but do we have to?

1) Jones hasn't played man to man since high school.
2) Fleming isn't exactly a quality defender yet.
3) Jok, while having improved, isn't going to scare anyone.
4) Woody in a man to man is more likely to foul.

Don't want to have to, not when guys like Gesell and Clemmons and Uthoff and Woody have been learning to play man to man for the last three years and only went to zone as a choice. Which means teams can't prepare for Iowa only playing a zone defense.

I think it's coming down to a zone when Woody sits anyway. So, my thought would be sub the newbies in groups, see if Uhl and Uthoff can cover the forward spots playing man to man, of if Jok is ready to handle a wing on the defensive end?

If we can field five guys together Gesell, Clemmons, Jok/Uthoff/Uhl and Woody who can play the man to man, it will be important to use them for that purpose. Gotta look for guys ready to be a part of it as well. Baer? Ellingson? Wagner? The less we are hampered the better.

Remember Ohio State last year trying to play man to man and getting killed for it, had to switch to zone. Matta WAS known as a defensive coach. But when you haven't the parts, you haven't the parts.

Yeah, it's great to have a choice. Nothing wrong with zones at the right times. Lots wrong with zones when that's all you can do.

My guess is for while we're going to have to fall back to the zone unless we've got the starters in. Little by little our newbies will catch on and we'll be better for it later. People watching may not even realize why. (There should be an option to watch games with the ball removed from view so audiences aren't drawn to just follow it around.)

In the meantime, our press and traps may be our best defensive weapon. But to run them all game requires depth...so which is limited? Do we give up man to man to press more? Do we press less to keep our starters in longer?

Tonight will be interesting. I don't recall playing zone at all in our first exhibition. Tonight we may have to...we do want to win, even if it doesn't count.

Iowa has played and will play a zone tonight. I am interested to see if they play better defense overall. Too much standing 2-3 feet away from the person they are guarding and not forcing the action on offense other than Gesell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT