ADVERTISEMENT

‘Beercation’: Thousands descend on Toppling Goliath in Decorah for beer release

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Buddy White’s girlfriend thinks he’s crazy. Tom Kucala’s wife thinks he’s “absolutely nuts.”

Why? They traveled to Decorah from Louisville, Kentucky, and northern Illinois, respectively, to each secure two bottles of Toppling Goliath Brewing Company’s 2019 Mornin’ Delight, an imperial stout brewed with coffee and maple syrup that’s considered one of the best beers in the world.

“Beercation is the right word,” said White, whose group stopped at some St. Louis breweries on the way.

Saturday’s Mornin’ Delight release event was the largest in Toppling Goliath’s 10-year history. About 4,000 people traipsed through its new brewery and taproom to spend $100 on two 22-ounce bottles of Mornin’ Delight, the commemorative glass and a small pour of the inky brew.

“It’s delicious, it really is,” Kucala said.

Toppling Goliath brewed between 8,000 and 10,000 bottles for the event, said Sarah Hedlund, the brewery’s marketing director. To buy the bottles, attendees had to win a ticket lottery, but anyone else could drive in for a taste.

The taproom was overflowing with out-of-towners like White and Kucala, some making their first visit and others making what’s become a frequent pilgrimage from Minnesota or Wisconsin. Several also patronized a morning release at Decorah’s Pulpit Rock Brewing Company, making Saturday a doubleheader.

Parking lot license plates represented at least 14 states, including each of Iowa’s neighbors and more exotic locales such as North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

ADVERTISING
“It’s a really good feeling to know that this many people will plan their weekend around this event, and so many of the faces are familiar, friendly faces that we’ve seen that have been supporting Topping Goliath since we started,” said Clark Lewey, the brewery’s co-owner.

The Mornin’ Delight purchasers were split into nine sessions, so they and their friends, family, babies and dogs spent much of the day lounging in the taproom or out on the patio. The visitors outside Toppling Goliath’s 19-state distribution area made sure to stock up, filling cardboard boxes with King Sue, Pseudo Sue and Mornin’ Latte four-packs.

Patrons also tried a pair of the brewery’s draft-only barrel-aged stouts, a Mexican hot chocolate brew and a variation with pecan and coconut flavors.

“People will definitely go a long ways to drink these beers,” Hedlund said.

A shortage of area lodging made that a little harder for those not close by.

Megan Schifrel, 29, from Ocomomowoc, Wisconsin, made the 190-mile trip to Decorah with her husband to add to their “cool beer” collection. They’d planned to stay in or near Decorah, but that quickly evaporated when they couldn’t find private, non-camping lodging six weeks ago, she said.

“Beer culture” is following wine’s lead, Schifrel said, so the only surefire way to get the premium brews is to go to the source, even if the hotel is in the Wisconsin Dells on Saturday morning.

Rodney and Tami Flowers, from the Kansas City area, were able to snag a room at a local hotel after securing their tickets, unlike a few of their friends who couldn’t find a place to stay after winning the lottery. But Rodney planned to share the wealth.

“I got a group of guys in my neighborhood that I generally share with,” he said of his Mornin’ Delight. “... It’s more fun for me.”

Most of the nearly 20 Mornin’ Delight buyers who spoke to the Register said they’ll look to drink, share or trade their new beer. No one said outright that they’d plan to sell it, even though Toppling Goliath beer can fetch a pretty penny on resale sites.

After he and his buddies collected their Mornin Delight, White, 44, said he was going to meet some more friends for a “share.” Then the beercation rolls on.

“We’re gonna go out of our way to go home tomorrow,” he said. “We’ll go through Wisconsin and go to New Glarus (Brewing) and maybe even stop in Chicago somewhere.”

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...ling-goliath-decorah-beer-release/2018224001/

Reactions: unIowa
They had it at GABF a couple years ago. It was magnificent.
Easily in the top 1% of brews. Probably top 0.1%.

It's a great beer. I've never had the KBBS but they're getting fuggin ridiculous about it. If you win the lottery, you can spend 10 bucks to buy a ticket that will allow you to purchase 1 12 oz bottle for $100. According to my brewer friend, the profit margin on that is asinine.

It's a great beer. I've never had the KBBS but they're getting fuggin ridiculous about it. If you win the lottery, you can spend 10 bucks to buy a ticket that will allow you to purchase 1 12 oz bottle for $100. According to my brewer friend, the profit margin on that is asinine.

It is an excellent beer, but eventually the people paying this much money for it will wake up and realize they've totally fallen victim to perceived exclusivity. The reality is there are tons of excellent stouts on the market now, and players like BarnTown continue to make really great offerings as well, but for only about $10 for a 12 oz pour. But as long as the secondary market continues to pay $500+ for a bottle of KBBS, people will keep trucking into Decorah to give TG their money.

Reactions: jellyfish10
It is an excellent beer, but eventually the people paying this much money for it will wake up and realize they've totally fallen victim to perceived exclusivity. The reality is there are tons of excellent stouts on the market now, and players like BarnTown continue to make really great offerings as well, but for only about $10 for a 12 oz pour. But as long as the secondary market continues to pay $500+ for a bottle of KBBS, people will keep trucking into Decorah to give TG their money.
^^^ In Iowa??? When we lived in Boston it took me a long time to get over the sticker shock of beer/drinks there. Hell I once paid $18 for a gin and tonic in Hoboken. But $10 for a 12 ounce beer in Iowa seems ludicrous. But then again we don't go out much so maybe that's a thing now.

^^^ In Iowa??? When we lived in Boston it took me a long time to get over the sticker shock of beer/drinks there. Hell I once paid $18 for a gin and tonic in Hoboken. But $10 for a 12 ounce beer in Iowa seems ludicrous. But then again we don't go out much so maybe that's a thing now.

BarnTown is absolutely tearing it up with their beers. I don't drink sours, but from what I have figured out, they're top notch with sours, NEIPAs, and stouts. I can vouch for the latter two styles for sure - some of the best beers are coming out of a strip mall near the WDM & Waukee border. The NEIPAs are between $6-7 for a glass (either 16 oz or 12 oz depending on ABV) and the stouts are usually a bit more.

BarnTown is absolutely tearing it up with their beers. I don't drink sours, but from what I have figured out, they're top notch with sours, NEIPAs, and stouts. I can vouch for the latter two styles for sure - some of the best beers are coming out of a strip mall near the WDM & Waukee border. The NEIPAs are between $6-7 for a glass (either 16 oz or 12 oz depending on ABV) and the stouts are usually a bit more.
Reading through http://barntownbrewing.com/beer/ reminds me of . Without wading through the crazy names, do you know if they brew anything of the pilsner variety?

Reactions: JWolf74

Yep. And their sours are pretty solid too. I've been meaning to get over there and get some of the Hawaiian Punch sour.

And the food is pretty solid, too.

515 was my favorite brewery in the area, but it's quickly become BT. I have not been out to Brightside in Altoona but I've heard very good things.

515 was my favorite brewery in the area, but it's quickly become BT. I have not been out to Brightside in Altoona but I've heard very good things.

Is Brightside the old Wingnut? If so, I've had one of their NEIPAs and thought it was pretty good.

Had not heard of them.

They've got some solid offerings on the Untappd ratings.
Not quite up to TG or Russian River levels, but some quite excellent stuff.

KBBS is the #1 beer in the world on both Beer Advocate and Ratebeer. MD is #5 on one, #8 on the other. It makes sense that there is a worldwide demand to get these limited availability beers. It also makes sense that TG is in the business of optimizing their profit, so selling these at high costs/profits would make sense. I've been critical of TG in the past for some business practices, but so long and demand is outpacing supply, it seems the pricing for these beers is not unfair.

I wonder how many of them have student loans that are really bogging them down financially.

KBBS is the #1 beer in the world on both Beer Advocate and Ratebeer. MD is #5 on one, #8 on the other. It makes sense that there is a worldwide demand to get these limited availability beers. It also makes sense that TG is in the business of optimizing their profit, so selling these at high costs/profits would make sense. I've been critical of TG in the past for some business practices, but so long and demand is outpacing supply, it seems the pricing for these beers is not unfair.
So I've never heard of KBBS and I had to google it. Perhaps I'm a living-under-a-rock-get-off-my-lawn man but when did it get so popular to brew beer with coffee, maple syrup, and all manner of other ingredients? Doesn't seem like it is really "beer" at that point.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

It's like saying Mike Trout, Christian Yelich and Cory Bellinger are just "outfielders" who shouldn't be making much over the league average for an OF.......

Not to be too much of a stout snob but what exactly are you referring to when you say that their stouts are good? With exception of Cicada Killer (which is average), I’ve found myself walking down the sidewalk from Barntown to Global Brew to drink far better stout offerings. Both Exile and Peace Tree’s stouts are, IMO, light years better than Barntown. As was Madhouse’s Carpe Diem, El Jefe and Friday’s Sundae Fundae. Drive a little further west and Central Standard’s tap list is also better than Barntown’s offerings.

They had it at GABF a couple years ago. It was magnificent.
Easily in the top 1% of brews. Probably top 0.1%.

If you like high gravity, huge flavor stouts (right in my wheelhouse), it is amazing. Global Brew in Waukee had it on tap a couple of weeks ago. Well worth the $16/5 oz. pour. I’m sitting on two bottles at home. Had them for about two years ... just haven’t found the “right” time to break them out. Have had offers in excess of $400 for the pair.

Reactions: Joes Place
Can confirm the sours are outstanding

Not to be too much of a stout snob but what exactly are you referring to when you say that their stouts are good? With exception of Cicada Killer (which is average), I’ve found myself walking down the sidewalk from Barntown to Global Brew to drink far better stout offerings. Both Exile and Peace Tree’s stouts are, IMO, light years better than Barntown. As was Madhouse’s Carpe Diem, El Jefe and Friday’s Sundae Fundae. Drive a little further west and Central Standard’s tap list is also better than Barntown’s offerings.

Those look like good breweries - well above average and quite worthy of out-of-the-way stops - but I'd still put them a tier below Toppling Goliath, Weldwerks or Russian River.

If you like high gravity, huge flavor stouts (right in my wheelhouse), it is amazing. Global Brew in Waukee had it on tap a couple of weeks ago. Well worth the $16/5 oz. pour. I’m sitting on two bottles at home. Had them for about two years ... just haven’t found the “right” time to break them out. Have had offers in excess of $400 for the pair.

Someone brought out an Assassin to share, and although that was "motor-oil good", it still didn't match up with the Mornin' Delight sip I had.

Other top rated Stouts I'm planning to try at GABF:

Weldwerks: Medianoche (several flavors, Malibu, PB Cup, Rye Vanilla)
Great Notion: Double Stack and Sticky Bun
More Brewing: Mehndi and Arketype
J Wakefield: Big Poppa, Boss Tycoon
Cigar City: Criminal Commission
Pure Project: Corylus
NOBO Brewing: Buffalo Trace Barrel Aged Coconut
Three Floyds: Dark Lord Rarri Crochet
Avery: Bon Bon Cerise

....among others.

I've done my homework on who's bringing the "good stuff".

Those look like good breweries - well above average and quite worthy of out-of-the-way stops - but I'd still put them a tier below Toppling Goliath, Weldwerks or Russian River.

I’m particularly partial to western Michigan breweries - New Holland, Perrin, Founder’s, Saugatuck, Greenbush and Short’s. Also have a fair amount of Mikkeler, Evil Twin and Prairie Artisan in my cabinet.

Never had Russian River but my craft beer “buddies” love it.

Barntown stouts, while good, are no where near TG stouts. Sorry they just aren’t.

Their sours and NE IPA’s are great. You’re right about that.

The only stouts in Iowa that I have had in Iowa that come close are from Pulpit Rock in Decorah and Marto Brewing in Sioux City.

One trick pony has one trick
Not a trick if it’s based on truth.

Don’t worry if Warren wins and gets her wealth tax passed on day one there will be enough collected 12 years from now to forgive the loans. Roflmao.

I would agree with you in regards to Barntown and their stouts. Their NEIPA's on the other hand are way better than any other brewery you mentioned in your post.

I would agree with you in regards to Barntown and their stouts. Their NEIPA's on the other hand are way better than any other brewery you mentioned in your post.

Can’t opine on that; not an IPA fan. Stouts and porters ... 24/7/365

Not a trick if it’s based on truth.

Don’t worry if Warren wins and gets her wealth tax passed on day one there will be enough collected 12 years from now to forgive the loans. Roflmao.
This is a thread about beer. Politics can GTFO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT