ADVERTISEMENT

‘Nole Fans Only: More intriguing bowl...

More intriguing bowl from a neutral perspective...

• Iowa vs USC in the Holiday Bowl

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Iowa State vs Notre Dame in the Camping Bowl

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
I would think nationally the ND game would be the most interesting. USC has been down for years.

ND is more interesting. Far more comparable to Iowa this year from a solid team perspective. USC is worse than their 4 losses IMO.

Both interesting but I went with ISU/ND since it’s the first matchup between the two.
I was surprised to see this is the 10th game between the hawks and Trojans. And appears that none were in the rose bowl but that they played alternating home and home series in the 60’s and 70’s with USC taking the last 6 games by a wide margin, including the 2003 orange bowl victory.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Both interesting but I went with ISU/ND since it’s the first matchup between the two.
I was surprised to see this is the 10th game between the hawks and Trojans. And appears that none were in the rose bowl but that they played alternating home and home series in the 60’s and 70’s with USC taking the last 6 games by a wide margin, including the 2003 orange bowl victory.

That 2003 Orange Bowl SHOULD have been in the Rose Bowl. “Rose Bowl East” it was dubbed. But the old BCS system allowed the Orange to take the 3 and 4 ranked teams and nabbed them. The Rose Bowl was so pissed that they changed the system after that year to try and ensure a B1G-PAC match up if possible. The Gazette published a preview of the bowl with orange roses on the cover.

As far as the late 60s, early 70s: those were dark days for Iowa football.

Reactions: naturalmwa
That 2003 Orange Bowl SHOULD have been in the Rose Bowl. “Rose Bowl East” it was dubbed. But the old BCS system allowed the Orange to take the 3 and 4 ranked teams and nabbed them. The Rose Bowl was so pissed that they changed the system after that year to try and ensure a B1G-PAC match up if possible. The Gazette published a preview of the bowl with orange roses on the cover.
Not to go off on a tangent, but I don’t recall anything changing in terms of the selection process as a result of that matchup. The sequence of events that led to it started in 1997, when Michigan and Nebraska both finished undefeated but couldn’t play each other because Nebraska was part of the Bowl Coalition and Michigan was contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl, the Big Ten, and the Pac-10 all were worried they would become irrelevant on the national scene by isolating themselves from the Bowl Coalition. So they joined together with the other conferences and bowls and formed the BCS.

The Rose Bowl got the National Championship game at the end of the 2001 season featuring Miami and Nebraska. I don’t think they were too upset about that.

The reason Iowa and USC ended up in the Orange Bowl is that the BCS bowls that weren’t hosting the National Championship game and lost one of their partner teams to the title game got to pick an at-large replacement.

The Orange Bowl lost #1 Miami to the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl lost #2 Ohio State. So the Orange Bowl got to pick first and chose Iowa. The Rose Bowl got second pick. They were contractually obligated to take Pac-10 co-champion Washington State. The top available options for the other team were USC and Oklahoma. Obviously they didn’t want a conference matchup between USC and Wazzu, so they picked Oklahoma.

The Rose Bowl decided to ditch the traditional Big 10/Pac-10 arrangement after 1997, so they really had no one but themselves to blame.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Not to go off on a tangent, but I don’t recall anything changing in terms of the selection process as a result of that matchup. The sequence of events that led to it started in 1997, when Michigan and Nebraska both finished undefeated but couldn’t play each other because Nebraska was part of the Bowl Coalition and Michigan was contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl, the Big Ten, and the Pac-10 all were worried they would become irrelevant on the national scene by isolating themselves from the Bowl Coalition. So they joined together with the other conferences and bowls and formed the BCS.

The Rose Bowl got the National Championship game at the end of the 2001 season featuring Miami and Nebraska. I don’t think they were too upset about that.

The reason Iowa and USC ended up in the Orange Bowl is that the BCS bowls that weren’t hosting the National Championship game and lost one of their partner teams to the title game got to pick an at-large replacement.

The Orange Bowl lost #1 Miami to the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl lost #2 Ohio State. So the Orange Bowl got to pick first and chose Iowa. The Rose Bowl got second pick. They were contractually obligated to take Pac-10 co-champion Washington State. The top available options for the other team were USC and Oklahoma. Obviously they didn’t want a conference matchup between USC and Wazzu, so they picked Oklahoma.

The Rose Bowl decided to ditch the traditional Big 10/Pac-10 arrangement after 1997, so they really had no one but themselves to blame.

The part that changed was that the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl made an agreement after that game that no longer would the Orange “steal” a B1G vs PAC match-up from the Rose. They were only allowed to take USC to play Iowa from the Rose that year because of a rule that stated that the bowl with a larger payout got to take a team they both wanted. That’s what changed.

Iowa got screwed in the bowl matchups. How the heck does Indiana get the Gator Bowl?

Because it’s the fifth slot from the B1G, and the Holiday is the fourth (used to be the B1G runner-up bowl in the ‘90s). We couldn’t contractually go back to the third place Outback, and word from some Iowa writers was that if Alabama was available, the Citrus (B1G runner-up slot) was going with Michigan and Iowa would have been in had it been Auburn.

The part that changed was that the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl made an agreement after that game that no longer would the Orange “steal” a B1G vs PAC match-up from the Rose. They were only allowed to take USC to play Iowa from the Rose that year because of a rule that stated that the bowl with a larger payout got to take a team they both wanted. That’s what changed.
I don’t think that actually was the case. The Orange got first pick over the Rose to take Iowa because Miami (ACC) was ranked #1 and Ohio State (Big Ten) was ranked #2.

The “larger payout” clause allowed the Orange Bowl to jump ahead of the Sugar Bowl and take USC. The Sugar Bowl wanted USC but had to settle for #14 Florida State to take on SEC Champion Georgia.

***Edit - Miami was in the Big East at that time, not the ACC. The Orange Bowl had ties with the Big East and the ACC, so when #1 Miami went to the Fiesta Bowl for the National Championship game, the Orange got first pick to replace them. Florida State was the ACC champion that year.

Last edited:
Iowa / USC

I don't care about either game but I've found myself keeping an eye on Iowa football this year because y'all are such gracious hosts.

Reactions: funksouljon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT