ADVERTISEMENT

‘This truck can’t do normal truck things’: YouTube star says towing with Ford’s new electric pickup is a ‘total disaster’...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
It’s no secret that electric cars are becoming more and more popular these days. But will the EV trend carry over to pickup trucks?

According to Tyler Hoover — who runs the Hoovie’s Garage YouTube channel with 1.4 million subscribers — an electric pickup truck might not be a great option if you need to tow something.

In a recent video, Hoover tried to tow an old 1930s Ford pickup with his brand new Ford F-150 Lightning. The test didn’t go well, as the new electric truck used up way more range than expected.

“If a truck towing 3,500 pounds can’t even go 100 miles … that is ridiculously stupid. This truck can’t do normal truck things,” Hoover says.

The video, titled “Towing with my Ford Lightning EV Pickup was a TOTAL DISASTER!” has now amassed more than 2.3 million views.

“You would be stopping every hour to recharge, which would take about 45 minutes a pop, and that is absolutely not practical.”

• Haha
Reactions: HIWILLE
He picked the least aerodynamic load possible.

TFL Truck got 89 miles going up 11k feet at a 7% grade with a max load. They regained 10 miles of range on the downhill.

That’s not still not great, but it shows how much aerodynamics matter. Throw the 1930’s truck in a closed trailer and you’re probably looking at 140 miles range.

Last edited:
I was waiting for someone here to post this. Why don't you also post the idiotic response by that Info Wars moron. My gawd, that was Idiots On Parade.

Hoovie absolutely loves the pickup in pretty much all ways except for cruising range and range while towing. He also stated he drove it like a regular vehicle, mashing the pedal etc...and did not follow guidelines from other tests which extend the towing range dramatically. Lastly, him and the co-owner of the pickup did NOT buy the extended range version.

It’s no secret that electric cars are becoming more and more popular these days. But will the EV trend carry over to pickup trucks?

According to Tyler Hoover — who runs the Hoovie’s Garage YouTube channel with 1.4 million subscribers — an electric pickup truck might not be a great option if you need to tow something.

In a recent video, Hoover tried to tow an old 1930s Ford pickup with his brand new Ford F-150 Lightning. The test didn’t go well, as the new electric truck used up way more range than expected.

“If a truck towing 3,500 pounds can’t even go 100 miles … that is ridiculously stupid. This truck can’t do normal truck things,” Hoover says.

The video, titled “Towing with my Ford Lightning EV Pickup was a TOTAL DISASTER!” has now amassed more than 2.3 million views.

“You would be stopping every hour to recharge, which would take about 45 minutes a pop, and that is absolutely not practical.”

Yep, EVs will be a total disaster. Those horse buggy makers were totally right when they said the combustion engine would be a flop. Those combustion engines haven't improved one iota since they were invented and I would expect EVs to follow the same failed trajectory. The oil people are telling us so. Steinbeck has a good section in East of Eden on the first autos. They were very difficult to start and quite problematic.

no, not really and electric trucks probably aren’t ready to tackle that task. However it can haul plenty of shit in the city or for everyday use.
I would guess between 90-95% of all pickup truck trips regardless of towing or not towing are < 100 miles.

People who frequently haul bigger loads longer distances are not the target market for this vehicle, which by the way, is already the biggest pre-order vehicle in Ford history.

Another swing and miss from Trad. He truly is HORT’s Mario Mendoza 😂

Last edited:
Hey Torbs, I'm tied up right now. Do us all a favor and go to the Hoovies Garage YT page and pull up Hoovie's video response to the uproar his original video caused. It's only a few days old so it'll be easy to find.

You'll know it's the right one because Alex Jones' blather on it is absolutely hilarious.

Edit... nevermind, here it is.

Last edited:
Well there you go. Hoovie says it’s a disaster so now Ford probably won’t be able to sell any of these crummy trucks!
Cancel all of the orders. No way that this year’s production is already sold out.
And, no way that pulling a load would impact the range on the gas model.

Reactions: torbee
Hey Torbs, I'm tied up right now. Do us all a favor and go to the Hoovies Garage YT page and pull up Hoovie's video response to the uproar his original video caused. It's only a few days old so it'll be easy to find.

You'll know it's the right one because Alex Jones' blather on it is absolutely hilarious.
I got my fill of idiocy reading stuff in the Hawkeye Lounge today, so I’ll just take your word for it.

OP messed up and posted a month or so ago his possible interest in an EV.
He is all confrused about what is the best way to get attention.

Yeah, that'll do it. I just forgot how to grab a link on my phone. Got it figured out. Thx anyway.
Watched it. That dude is on the spectrum, right? Not being snarky, he seems similar to some high functioning autistic folks I know.

Anyway, the point about this being a bad truck for landscapers and contractors is such a “no shit” observation it’s ludicrous. This truck is aimed right at suburban cowboys and folks that “off road” when they tailgate at football games. Or, you know, 90% of pickup truck drivers. 🙄

I would guess between 90-95% of all pickup truck trips regardless of towing or not towing are < 100 miles.

People who frequently haul bigger loads longer distances are not the target market for this vehicle, which by the way, is already the biggest pre-order vehicle in Ford history.

Another swing and miss from Trad. He truly is HORT’s Mario Mendoza 😂
I would guess 90 percent of F 150 level trucks in America never tow a damn thing.

So, the annual Memorial Day "drag the boat to the lake and back" excursion better be less than 100 miles round trip, right?
If you own a boat, you are going to own a bigger truck and use it lot more than one time a year. F-150 size trucks cab for the kids are just toys for our inner child and occasional trips to Home Depot / to job site. Not towing far regularly. You got a boat or trailer or camper you want to tow all over on a regular basis, you are driving a bigger truck unless you are poor.

The electric truck is not targeted at people who actually use their truck. It is targeted at the folks who drive a truck in lieu of other luxury vehicles.

Over the last 3.5 years I have driven about 8000 miles/year with a trailer hooked up. I drive about 16,000 miles/year in my truck.

Electric trucks aren’t on my horizon right now.

Where can I buy a good, dependable buggy whip?

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
The electric truck is not targeted at people who actually use their truck. It is targeted at the folks who drive a truck in lieu of other luxury vehicles.

Over the last 3.5 years I have driven about 8000 miles/year with a trailer hooked up. I drive about 16,000 miles/year in my truck.

Electric trucks aren’t on my horizon right now.
Same with me. I pull a boat, haul firewood, drive to ski hills in 10 degree weather. I will be keeping my V8 as long as I am doing those things or until the battery range situation improves. I expect it will as progress is pretty common in the automotive world.

So, the annual Memorial Day "drag the boat to the lake and back" excursion better be less than 100 miles round trip, right?
You don’t haul a boat. You are just trying to get a rise out of people.
Same ole trad.
What happens when you show up in a disaster zone let's say after a hurricane that doesn't have electricity with only EV's and battery powered tools?
You have a lot of people who help you drain the battery.

ADVERTISEMENT