ADVERTISEMENT

‘This truck can’t do normal truck things’: YouTube star says towing with Ford’s new electric pickup is a ‘total disaster’...

Hoovie also had the F-150 with the regular battery and not the larger, extended range battery.
You have to watch the entire video.
Let’s be fair here.

Reactions: bagdropper
Cancel all of the orders. No way that this year’s production is already sold out.
And, no way that pulling a load would impact the range on the gas model.
I see a LOT of pick-ups in NC. Bet you do,too. No offense to Hoovie but I’ve never seen one hauling a 1930’s pick-up so I’m not sure if that’s “normal truck things”. And I probably wouldn’t buy one to haul an Airstream if that was my “normal” driving. But the vast majority of those I DO see could be replaced by an EV with no issues at all. And intelligent people - not Trad - seem to understand that pretty well.

Hoovie also had the F-150 with the regular battery and not the larger, extended range battery.
You have to watch the entire video.
Let’s be fair here.

This is true, as I mentioned.

The video where he acquired the truck, him and a friend made a deal where they put their name on the list to where if one became available, they'd purchase one. The standard battery one they bought became available, so Hoovie decided to honor the that deal. At first they thought they'd flip the truck given they got it for MSRP and many people are getting a lot more for them by selling, but decided to keep it for awhile to try it out.

And people also have to consider, Hoovie's channel is to review vehicles - many of these fix 'em up channels are given new vehicles by manufacturers to review. Sarah-n-Tuned is another that does the exact same thing. And yeah, easy on the eyes, but she knows her stuff (ex military jet mechanic if my memory is good) and is a hilarious watch.

Sarah's Lightning XLT, extended range battery version review

Sarah's Hyundi Kona electric review

Sarah's Hummer EV review...

I would guess between 90-95% of all pickup truck trips regardless of towing or not towing are < 100 miles.

People who frequently haul bigger loads longer distances are not the target market for this vehicle, which by the way, is already the biggest pre-order vehicle in Ford history.

Another swing and miss from Trad. He truly is HORT’s Mario Mendoza 😂
Basically the EV truck can do most things folks need it to do....

If you need it to tow a 5th Wheel (for example) you should go a different route is my take away.

He picked the least aerodynamic load possible.

TFL Truck got 89 miles going up 11k feet at a 7% grade with a max load. They regained 10 miles of range on the downhill.

That’s not still not great, but it shows how much aerodynamics matter. Throw the 1930’s truck in a closed trailer and you’re probably looking at 140 miles range.
This is a joke, right?

Basically the EV truck can do most things folks need it to do....

If you need it to tow a 5th Wheel (for example) you should go a different route is my take away.
Jeebus. So you shouldn't go and see the things on a road trip because the EV can't handle it? Again...this is a joke, right?

Jeebus. So you shouldn't go and see the things on a road trip because the EV can't handle it? Again...this is a joke, right?
wut?

Simply saying if you're hauling a 5th wheel around the country a EV Truck isn't the way to go. Unless you plan stopping every hundred miles or so...I think that'd be a little problematic.

In case you don't know what a 5th wheel is...

Reactions: srams21
The least surprising thing in this thread is Trad just ignoring posts like these.
I was waiting for someone here to post this. Why don't you also post the idiotic response by that Info Wars moron. My gawd, that was Idiots On Parade.

Hoovie absolutely loves the pickup in pretty much all ways except for cruising range and range while towing. He also stated he drove it like a regular vehicle, mashing the pedal etc...and did not follow guidelines from other tests which extend the towing range dramatically. Lastly, him and the co-owner of the pickup did NOT buy the extended range version.

Hoovie's tag line about his channel is "the dumbest automotive channel on YouTube".

He is a traditionalist at heart. He laments the fact that the types of vehicles that he grew up with - and in repairing basket case examples became rich off the views the videos generated - will be going away in roughly one more generation.

In short, the channel is him buying fixer upper vehicles (vehicles he loves, and famous vehicles) and paying others to do the repairs like us ordinary folks would have to do.

Again, he loves the truck. It's a rocket ship of a truck. He just wishes it was more real world pickup ready is all with regards to range and towing. And keep in mind, in his line of work (buying and selling vehicles), he's often towing vehicles he buys or needs repairing.

His latest video on the Lightning explains what he thinks is wrong with how the truck is being marketed. He considers it more a show truck...good for shredding tires, stoplight showing off, etc. Much like past trucks like the GMC Syclone/Typhoon, the Dodge Ram Viper truck...fast trucks you'd never do traditional pickup things with.

Menards is 65 miles away from me. I couldn't drive an empty trailer there and bring back a load for a home improvement project. I absolutely love EVs and the idea of owning one. I couldn't part with my ecodiesel to get one. I pulled a 5000# load on 16" trailer and got 21 MPG at 67 MPH. The standard range Lightning wouldn't have made the trip.

A lightning would do 90% of everything I need it to do. My truck will do 100%.
That must have been some seriously dense stuff you were hauling to get 5000# on a 16" trailer..

Same with me. I pull a boat, haul firewood, drive to ski hills in 10 degree weather. I will be keeping my V8 as long as I am doing those things or until the battery range situation improves. I expect it will as progress is pretty common in the automotive world.
And this is how everyone should look at it. EV's are the answer for some people, but not others, at this point in time.

That must have been some seriously dense stuff you were hauling to get 5000# on a 16" trailer..
Are you thinking a utility trailer or a tandem axle 16 ft trailer. If it's a tandem then 5000# isn't much weight at all. 70-1" x 12" x 12' pressure treated boards will weigh that much and easily fit on a 16 ft trailer. My 16 ft tandem axle trailer can easily carry my 7500# skid loader.

Reactions: Gimmered
Saw one of these for the first time this weekend. It's a big, beautiful vehicle.

Was kind of shocking to see in the real world just how big a vehicle can now be powered by electric. We've come a long way.

Seeing the size of the vehicle, I did look to see if it had a trailer hitch, thinking that it's already so big, there's no way it could also haul anything a significant range, but it had the hitch.

Regardless of how many people it's practical for yet, it's pretty amazing to have gotten to the point that what it does now is even possible.

That video came out 9/23, I'm sure F stock didn't respond well to it.

That's about the worst advertisement you can have.

That plus the chip problem for their current gas vehicle inventory.

Recipe for disaster.

I would buy one if it had 400 mile range while not towing anything.

most people never have anything in their truck bed nor are they towing anything. If I was doing this a big chunk of the time I would get gas or diesel.

seems like they could store a lot more battery in a truck by not making the bed as deep.

of course I am not dropping anywhere near $100k on a vehicle.

Last edited:
I was always pretty disappointed in my Silverado HD….my neighbor wanted to dig a new basement after his house burnt down….so I ran down to equipment rental and rented an excavator to help….I tried to hook my Silverado up to the lowboy that carried the Cat….it wouldn’t even budge…..traded in the piece of junk the next day!

Most people who drive trucks don't need them anyway, so the EV truck is perfect for most suburbanites as is.

For people who rely on pickups to tow, and do real work beyond hauling furniture and mulch, Electric trucks probably aren't there yet.

Most people who drive trucks don't need them anyway, so the EV truck is perfect for most suburbanites as is.

For people who rely on pickups to tow, and do real work beyond hauling furniture and mulch, Electric trucks probably aren't there yet.
Bingo….it’s like complaining that my circular saw and plywood blade won’t cut through concrete block…if it can’t do real saw things like that who needs it?

EV trucks will most likely satisfy 80-90% of truck owners…

Bingo….it’s like complaining that my circular saw and plywood blade won’t cut through concrete block…if it can’t do real saw things like that who needs it?

EV trucks will most likely satisfy 80-90% of truck owners…

I've got a plug in circular saw for home projects, and a 18v Ryobi cordless one.

Cordless one has a smaller blade, and less power than the Craftsman corded one. But I find I use that cordless one >90% of the time. Because it's WAY more convenient.

If an electric truck solves your problems for >90% or 95% of your work, then the lower operational costs mean you can probably rent the bigger truck when you need it and still save $$. Again, depends on personal preferences and needs.

I've got a plug in circular saw for home projects, and a 18v Ryobi cordless one.

Cordless one has a smaller blade, and less power than the Craftsman corded one. But I find I use that cordless one >90% of the time. Because it's WAY more convenient.

If an electric truck solves your problems for >90% or 95% of your work, then the lower operational costs mean you can probably rent the bigger truck when you need it and still save $$. Again, depends on personal preferences and needs.
Yep. That’s a great point and nearly identical analogy. I’m the same way.

I for one have a relatively new gas truck….so I’m going to let them get a couple iterations in here and work out the bugs…but can’t wait for the day I have a Lightning or similar sitting in the garage. 95% of my “truck” uses are running to Lowes, picking up lumber or mulch, etc. or hauling furniture/boxes around…maybe taking the snowblower to the dealer for service…haul tree limbs and firewood around…I can count the times that I have had to tow something on one hand, and even then they were short trips.

I know that’s not everyone, but it’s most everyone I know that has a truck.

This would certainly fit my needs. Just playing around on the website, it certainly doesn't have as much ability to customize as when I ordered my 2019 a few years ago (although the ICE models don't have as much customization options anymore either). Doesn't look like it comes in the 40/20/40 front seat, which sucks, although it looks like you can't get the 40/20/40 in the ICE lariat anymore (what I have). I hate the center console.

The Lightning as well as the smaller Maverick sold out basically overnight. If they don’t perform to meet the needs or wants, the used car lots will have some available soon enough.

Are you thinking a utility trailer or a tandem axle 16 ft trailer. If it's a tandem then 5000# isn't much weight at all. 70-1" x 12" x 12' pressure treated boards will weigh that much and easily fit on a 16 ft trailer. My 16 ft tandem axle trailer can easily carry my 7500# skid loader.
I was being a bit of a smartass, because what the post said was 16 INCHES, not feet.

I have this argument all the time with my dad and some of my coworkers. The end result is this, for 95% of the people out there who drive trucks, they never pull a damn thing. Especially the F150 drivers.

This truck fits a niche but it is a large niche. If you need to tow a boat or a trailer a lot then don’t look at this option.

It’s like if you have a family of 6 and you need transportation you shouldn’t buy a corvette because it won’t work for you.

We have three of them at the office. It works well for two of them. The 3rd will need to switch trucks because it doesn’t work for him

Reactions: billanole
You have to watch the entire video. Let’s be fair here.

Nice to know there's an available 100+ mile option,.. is there an upcharge for using the headlights also?

If you own a boat, you are going to own a bigger truck and use it lot more than one time a year. F-150 size trucks cab for the kids are just toys for our inner child and occasional trips to Home Depot / to job site. Not towing far regularly. You got a boat or trailer or camper you want to tow all over on a regular basis, you are driving a bigger truck unless you are poor.
Bs. F150 will easily pull a medium sized camper.

We still have them. They're called "power plants".

And we'll continue to have them UNTIL we have a widespread enough grid and renewables sources to power it.

Really much like the early days of the gas powered auto, where you didn't have gas stations everywhere - that infrastructure has been built up over many many decades, and you're wanting to compare EV infrastructure to it that we've barely begun building.
You can carry an extra can of gas in your truck. Can you carry an extra charge for your ev?

If you own a boat, you are going to own a bigger truck and use it lot more than one time a year. F-150 size trucks cab for the kids are just toys for our inner child and occasional trips to Home Depot / to job site. Not towing far regularly. You got a boat or trailer or camper you want to tow all over on a regular basis, you are driving a bigger truck unless you are poor.

Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on this. Most trucks sold are half ton and therefore most towing completed is with a half ton (150 / 1500).

Last edited:
My neighbor got one a few weeks ago and it’s pretty cool. They drove it from Des Moines to Sioux Falls on one charge and then charged it for free when they got there. He has zero complaints so far, but he also isn’t towing his boat up mountains.

You obviously don't realize how many campers are half ton towable or you know very little about full sized trucks. An F150 can tow up to 11K pounds, which is plenty for a camper or pretty much any boat.

ADVERTISEMENT