ADVERTISEMENT

‘This truck can’t do normal truck things’: YouTube star says towing with Ford’s new electric pickup is a ‘total disaster’...

I got my fill of idiocy reading stuff in the Hawkeye Lounge today, so I’ll just take your word for it.
What the latest amongst the elite? Gasser still threatening to punch people who boo? Downtown still calling people idiots who question KF? What's thr pulse on Brian getting the unsportsmanlike?

Buy what you need or want. A huge percentage of truck owners rarely tow or haul big loads. If you do, buy the rig to meet your needs.
Apparently you're not from Florida. It's the truck and trailer capital of the world here. People who live in the country and small towns consistently tow trailers with varying loads.

Reactions: seminoleed
I feel like the "thrunk" is a game changer in terms of practicability. People who just like driving as opposed to needing a truck were always sacrificing a bit in terms of sealed/locked/storage e.g. a trunk. Now they've got one.

Was he over the top in his reaction, yes. Hell, it is after all an entertainment derived channel. But I also believe the people deriding the Lightning as a "cannot do a goddam thing" type of pickup are crazy - and those deriding the concept of selling a pickup right now because it cannot do what I'd call "heavy duty use" are nuts.
Most of them have never driven an electric car either. Crazy + Inexperience= Hyperbolic, Idiotic statements. If most people test drove one, they would likely be in love with it.

To help people. Clear debris, cut down limbs and board up windows.

Yes gas supplies are affected but I can bring extra gas with me.
Can you bring a...I don't know what you call them...those things that you can fill up with gas and they produce...and, again, I have to apologize for my ignorance...they produce that sparky stuff? I mean, if you can bring extra gas...wouldn't that work? Need some big ones for EVs but smaller ones would work for power tool batteries. I wouldn't recommend trying to clear a big disaster zone with electric chain saws but a homeowner with one and a small generator is going to be fine cleaning up small stuff.

Most of them have never driven an electric car either. Crazy + Inexperience= Hyperbolic, Idiotic statements. If most people test drove one, they would likely be in love with it.

Yep

I've driven a Tesla, and I was astounded with it. The one disconcerting thing about the half hour drive was not hearing engine noise.

The owner then stated over time you get used to it to where when you're in an ICE vehicle you abhor the "traditional" engine noise.

Reactions: Urohawk
So, the annual Memorial Day "drag the boat to the lake and back" excursion better be less than 100 miles round trip, right?

Who owns a boat while living more than fifty miles from a body of water?

But, no, someone who tows something more than 100 miles is not yet part of the target market for EVs.

Reactions: torbee
I am fascinated by the emotional investment some people have in the notion that EVs must fail.
It's a very intriguing phenomenon. I bought a Tesla knowing full well most of my power was supplied by a coal plant. Then low and behold the energy company allowed us to buy shares in a solar farm. I pay a little extra to offset the cost of them building solar panels. In under six months my car will run on the sun, but that is such a terrible idea.

Is the new $7500 tax credit for all EV/PHEV that have manufacturing done in the US or are there still quantity caps by model?

when I Google it I get a bunch of mixed signals ifs/buts and vague statements that are thin disguised links to garbage.

I am fascinated by the emotional investment some people have in the notion that EVs must fail.
It is no more complicated than the fact people fear change.

Having covered local politics for a couple decades, I can tell you that 90% of criticism for projects and programs stems from fear of change and little else. Oh they'll trot out oldies but goodies like "won't someone think of the children!" or "this will become a slippery slope to (insert some ridiculous, unlikely calamity)" but at the end of the day, it is almost always nothing more than fear of change.

I don’t want them to fail. Commuting to work and such would be ideal for EV’s. They aren’t completely going to take over the vehicle market because the technology isn’t there yet. Someone needs to let California know..

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
90% of the pickups on the road are hauling someone’s ass around. And it’s usually just them and no passengers. Nothing in the bed and nothing hitched.

When I was in my 20s I yearned for a pickup truck just so I had it available just in case I needed it. I talked myself out of it though because in reality it’s purpose and utility to me was actually quite low. Many folks never realize that and continue to drive around in them when a sedan or an SUV would be a much wiser choice. To each his own, if I really need a truck I’ll rent one or call a friend to borrow one.

90% of the pickups on the road are hauling someone’s ass around. And it’s usually just them and no passengers. Nothing in the bed and nothing hitched.

When I was in my 20s I yearned for a pickup truck just so I had it available just in case I needed it. I talked myself out of it though because in reality it’s purpose and utility to me was actually quite low. Many folks never realize that and continue to drive around in them when a sedan or an SUV would be a much wiser choice. To each his own, if I really need a truck I’ll rent one or call a friend to borrow one.

You can also pay for things to be delivered, which is far, far cheaper than owning a pickup for those two or three times a year you need it. This whole “Some people tow things 200 miles multiple times a year so electric pickups aren’t practical” manta is silly.

Who owns a boat while living more than fifty miles from a body of water?

But, no, someone who tows something more than 100 miles is not yet part of the target market for EVs.
And if there's a charging station at the lake...well, what are you gonna do with your truck while you're out on your boat?

Boom, just doubled the distance you can haul a boat to the lake.

Reactions: artradley
As I've said before, I've got an old Caravan that I haul mulch in. Take all the seats out and throw in a tarp (or not) and fill it up. Get some funny looks but it's been paid for for over a decade now and still runs fine with nearly 250,000 miles on it.

Yep, EVs will be a total disaster. Those horse buggy makers were totally right when they said the combustion engine would be a flop. Those combustion engines haven't improved one iota since they were invented and I would expect EVs to follow the same failed trajectory. The oil people are telling us so. Steinbeck has a good section in East of Eden on the first autos. They were very difficult to start and quite problematic.
But the thing is, at the beginning of the 20th century no one tried to create laws and policies making using a horse cost prohibitive or set a deadline for the last time anyone could ride a horse. They let the natural progression of innovation and peoples ability to afford a car determine when most people would drive an internal combustion engine. That's all most of us common sense Americans are asking for. Don't set a drop dead date that all cars must be electric by, don't try and price the oil industry into bankruptcy. If EV's are actually better and cost effective, people will buy them without being forced. Not many stage coaches around today and that wasn't because they were outlawed.

Reactions: Gimmered
But the thing is, at the beginning of the 20th century no one tried to create laws and policies making using a horse cost prohibitive or set a deadline for the last time anyone could ride a horse. They let the natural progression of innovation and peoples ability to afford a car determine when most people would drive an internal combustion engine. That's all most of us common sense Americans are asking for. Don't set a drop dead date that all cars must be electric by, don't try and price the oil industry into bankruptcy. If EV's are actually better and cost effective, people will buy them without being forced. Not many stage coaches around today and that wasn't because they were outlawed.
Well said. I don’t agree with the decision made by California. Id also like to see Republicans push as hard for tax breaks for green energy as they do tax breaks for oil companies.

Has that happened anywhere but California?

Has that happened anywhere but California?
In a word, yes. There are a few other states that have their EV polities triggered by what California does, why I have no idea. Virginia is one of them and the governor is trying to sever that statute in his state. However, CA is a big enough state and market on their own to force manufacturers to make production decisions based on CA politics and not customer demand or technological advancements.

As I've said before, I've got an old Caravan that I haul mulch in. Take all the seats out and throw in a tarp (or not) and fill it up. Get some funny looks but it's been paid for for over a decade now and still runs fine with nearly 250,000 miles on it.
I did the same thing with my Olds Silhouette once it became essentially unusable otherwise, barely road worthy, legal or safe. I eventually got rid of that as well since the costs to keep it for a rare use now and then just wasn't worth the registration and insurance I had to pay every year.

I did the same thing with my Olds Silhouette once it became essentially unusable otherwise, barely road worthy, legal or safe. I eventually got rid of that as well since the costs to keep it for a rare use now and then just wasn't worth the registration and insurance I had to pay every year.
Now that my no-pic wife has retired, I'm contemplating losing it. Maybe. I'll shed a tear because it's been a workhorse of a vehicle.

V's are the answer for some people, but not others, at this point in time.
It's amazing though, how many folks have trouble understanding this concept. For some reason, it seems to mainly be conservatives.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT