ADVERTISEMENT

“‘VICIOUS’ AND ‘BRUTAL'” — LIFE INSIDE A FREEZING FEDERAL PRISON WITH NO HEAT

“When I said to the warden, how many people do you have people with CPAP machines, ”

...wait! We taxpayers have to pay for CPAP machines? Who cleans/sanitizes those things? Who pays for that?

The only thing scarier than that is getting raped by a man wearing a CPAP mask in the middle of the night!

Might as well dish out these bad boys to all rapey inmates on the taxpayer dime!
when-you-find-this-anti-snoring-device-in-your-parents-room-24936348.png

At least them buttholes will be a nice 98.6 degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
Part of the issue here is who is there to make repairs on a moments notice for a prisoner population? Like most areas the professionals who could repairs were probably helping tax paying citizens with similar problems. I’m sure there is 1-2 prisoners who has the ability to repair whatever needs repairing, why not just let the inmates take care of it? They could give them access restricted tools, to those are clearly qualified to service and maintain systems.

Reactions: goldmom
Who gives a shit?
I do.

Injustice is injustice. I care when it happens; not just to me. Prisoners should not be subjected to inhuman conditions. They should have basic living conditions and not be subjected to dangers from the environment or from others. Prisoners should not be subject to beatings, jailhouse justice, or especially rape at any time. Let me be clear - rape is wrong. All rape. It’s not somehow ok because we think the victim is a bad guy. Nobody deserves that. We have a constitution that is supposed to prevent stuff like this.

And before many of you blast me for being a bleeding heart, I lean right. But I respect people’s rights. Some prisoners may have committed heinous crimes, they are serving their time as sentenced by a court of law. Their punishment is prison. That’s it. It’s the loss of freedom, liberty, and the removal from their families and society that is the punishment - not a little extra misery thrown in for fun at the discretion of some guards or other inmates.

This country needs an immediate reassessment of the prison systems on both state and federal levels. Some people are incredibly violent and are incapable of following society’s rules, they need to be locked up. But for most others, I’m in favor of Germany’s system. Our system now is archaic, barbaric, and not rehabilitative in the least. It’s therefore cruel, inefficient, and costly.

“When I said to the warden, how many people do you have people with CPAP machines, ”

...wait! We taxpayers have to pay for CPAP machines? Who cleans/sanitizes those things? Who pays for that?

The only thing scarier than that is getting raped by a man wearing a CPAP mask in the middle of the night!

Might as well dish out these bad boys to all rapey inmates on the taxpayer dime!

Have you ever stopped to think what percentage of your posts are total horse sh**?

Part of the issue here is who is there to make repairs on a moments notice for a prisoner population? Like most areas the professionals who could repairs were probably helping tax paying citizens with similar problems. I’m sure there is 1-2 prisoners who has the ability to repair whatever needs repairing, why not just let the inmates take care of it? They could give them access restricted tools, to those are clearly qualified to service and maintain systems.
Whut? That’s a 20 story building, that has a huge physical plant. You are saying have a few prisoners rig up some repairs on highly complex, sprawling systems? What’s worse is Goldmom gave it a like.
What about the staff? How willing would you be to work under those conditions? How about that not all of these people have been convicted?

Last edited:
Why do we care if a child molester has heat or not. Maybe they can warm up in the electric chair.

You post about man ass more than I do.

I know this may have been just projection on your part, but not everyone in this prison or in any prison are child molestors.

And there are some who haven't been convicted.

But MAGA's don't care about innocence claims, unless they are from Stone or Gates and then they are victims of a witch hunt. But those two have money to get out on bail so that doesn't impact them.

Felons. Do not care. Prison is supposed to be an unpleasant experience
Having your freedom taken away isn’t unpleasant? Being removed from your family and friends isn’t unpleasant? What level of “unpleasantness” are we striving for? A little discomfort? The occasional beating? Rape? Where’s the line?

Once a prisoner is remanded into state custody the state has removed the prisoner’s ability to provide for and defend himself. Therefore, the state owes him a duty to provide for his living conditions AND to keep him safe. If we removed one’s ability to fend for themselves, we must then do so. Basic necessities, like heat, are not too much to ask.

Felons. Do not care. Prison is supposed to be an unpleasant experience

Often ask myself when someone posts something like this if they are stupid, an uneducated idiot, or trolling. So you’re ok if one of these is a member of your family? If you were incarcerated there for a crime you didn’t commit, and hadn’t yet been convicted of, would you be ok with living in squalor? Is there any condition for inmates that is too harsh or should we simply kill everyone charged with a crime?

Here’s an article about Germany’s prison system. I know, it’s waaay progressive but let’s not pretend that our system is working so great. Maybe it’s time to consider other avenues.

What We Learned From German Prisons

EARLIER this summer, we led a delegation of people concerned about the United States criminal justice system to visit some prisons in Germany and observe their conditions. What we saw was astonishing.

The men serving time wore their own clothes, not prison uniforms. When entering their cells, they slipped out of their sneakers and into slippers. They lived one person per cell. Each cell was bright with natural light, decorated with personalized items such as wall hangings, plants, family photos and colorful linens brought from home. Each cell also had its own bathroom separate from the sleeping area and a phone to call home with. The men had access to communal kitchens, with the utensils a regular kitchen would have, where they could cook fresh food purchased with wages earned in vocational programs.

We hoped that we were getting a glimpse of what the future of the American criminal justice system could look like.

This is an encouraging moment for American advocates of criminal justice reform. After decades of callousness and complacency, the United States has finally started to take significant steps to reverse what a recent report by the National Research Council called a “historically unprecedented and internationally unique” experiment in mass incarceration. Congress, in a bipartisan effort, seems prepared to scale back draconian federal sentencing laws. Many states are making progress in reducing their prison populations. And President Obama, in a gesture of his commitment to this issue, last month became the first American president to visit a federal correctional facility.

The delegation that we took to Germany represented the emerging national consensus on this issue. It included a Democratic governor; corrections officials from across the political spectrum; chief prosecutors; formerly incarcerated individuals; a liberal scholar of race and criminal justice; and representatives from Right on Crime and the Charles Koch Institute, conservative groups that advocate reform, as well as the evangelical Christian group Prison Fellowship.

But for all the signs of progress, truly transformative change in the United States will require us to fundamentally rethink values. How do we move from a system whose core value is retribution to one that prioritizes accountability and rehabilitation? In Germany we saw a potential model: a system that is premised on the protection of human dignity and the idea that the aim of incarceration is to prepare prisoners to lead socially responsible lives, free of crime, upon release.

While the United States currently incarcerates 2.2 million people, Germany — whose population is one-fourth the size of ours — locks up only about 63,500, which translates to an incarceration rate that is one-tenth of ours. More than 80 percent of those convicted of crimes in Germany receive sentences of “day fines” (based on the offense and the offender’s ability to pay). Only 5 percent end up in prison. Of those who do, about 70 percent have sentences of less than two years, with few serving more than 15 years.

Rest at link: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/07/opinion/what-we-learned-from-german-prisons.html

Prison should be a place that is slightly worse than being homeless.

I never understood why more homeless people dont attempt to rob banks. If they get caught, they now get food on a regular basis and have the ability to take advantage of some form of structure to better their lives in the prison system. If they get away with it they’d have some money to live it up for a while.

Translation, I’m anti American and hate the constitution.

Reaction, we knew this already.
Wah. Cry me a river. Lack of temperature control is not cruel and unusual. Didnt exist 150 years ago, well after constitution was written.

Prison should be a place that is slightly worse than being homeless.

I never understood why more homeless people dont attempt to rob banks. If they get caught, they now get food on a regular basis and have the ability to take advantage of some form of structure to better their lives in the prison system. If they get away with it they’d have some money to live it up for a while.
Maybe that explains the value of “freedom.” It’s obviously worth more being homeless than locked up.

Wah. Cry me a river. Lack of temperature control is not cruel and unusual. Didnt exist 150 years ago, well after constitution was written.
Fire is a recent invention, huh? You either believe in what America stands for or you don’t. You clearly don’t buy in all the way. That’s fine, I imagine most people have a quibble here or there with principles articulated by politicians over 200 years of our history. But let’s at least admit you are in opposition to the constitution here. Be honest about your position.

I'd love to cross reference this thread with the one about the arrest of Roger Stone. I am guessing the ones expressing their pleasure over freezing guards and prisoners are also OUTRAGED that a good man like Roger Stone was only given enough time to put on a double breasted suit with a straight collar shirt before he was taken away.

Fire is a recent invention, huh? You either believe in what America stands for or you don’t. You clearly don’t buy in all the way. That’s fine, I imagine most people have a quibble here or there with principles articulated by politicians over 200 years of our history. But let’s at least admit you are in opposition to the constitution here. Be honest about your position.
your screenname should be THE STRAWMAN

Often ask myself when someone posts something like this if they are stupid, an uneducated idiot, or trolling. So you’re ok if one of these is a member of your family? If you were incarcerated there for a crime you didn’t commit, and hadn’t yet been convicted of, would you be ok with living in squalor? Is there any condition for inmates that is too harsh or should we simply kill everyone charged with a crime?

It’s the first one.

Conservative people's inability to empathize is really disturbing.
Not all of us. I consider myself conservative and I’m a huge advocate of ensuring ALL people receive equal protection under the law. IMO, it’s not a partisan issue, at least it shouldn’t be, but a common decency issue. But, I agree that many on the “right” fall short here.

Also, from a pure results standpoint, at some point we have to admit that our current penal system has failed. Statistics show it isn’t working. So, let’s be honest about it and confront the problem. Let’s think outside of the box a bit and find a truly “correctional” system.

Uh, strawman is deflection. Thats all youve done in this thread. Carry on
Sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself. I notice cons are rarely honest about who they are or what they stand for. For a long time I assumed they were just lying to others, but I’ve come to expect you lie to yourself too.

Reactions: Rudolph
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT