ADVERTISEMENT

“A friendly smile in every aisle” days about to end?

Where I really save money is gift cards. Kroger gives fuel rewards on gift cards for all sorts of stores. I buy gift cards for BP and Shell and use them instead of my credit card when I buy gas. I also buy gift cards for Target and Kohl’s and Lowes and Home Depot and Amazon. Under normal terms I save 7% in free gas at Kroger, but several times a year they double the points and I save 14%. I save over $500 a year just on gift cards even if I never buy a single grocery item.

But, isn't there like a $5 'convenience/activation fee'? That's why I always thought it didn't make sense to buy those through a 3rd party. I know I've been unhappy with extra fees before when buying a gift card.

But, isn't there like a $5 'convenience/activation fee'? That's why I always thought it didn't make sense to buy those through a 3rd party. I know I've been unhappy with extra fees before when buying a gift card.
I don't think so for actual vendor gift cards. I think that's for the Visa/MC. Not sure, been a while.

ConvenientParking is correct, activation fees only apply to MC/Visa. Even with the fee it is sometimes worth it. When they double the rewards to 4X points I save 14%. So even if I have to pay $6 to activate a $100 MC/Visa gift card, I still get $14 worth of free gas.

Could happen, but Hy-Vee has been expanding into bigger midwestern markets and have been upgrading stores.
The one on East Kimberly in Davenport has a new wine tasting space, with expensive bottles in a glass room, and a humidor. Starting to look pretty upscale.

Hy-Vee is more and more going to their own Hy-Vee brand. Some things are ok, but there some name brands that they no longer carry, not so many, but a few, like for example Land O Lakes stick margarine. I like Schnucks, but rarely shop there because it' out of the way.
Grocery store charge slotting allowances, if a company wants their product on shelf they gotta pay.

Shopped at a Kroger in Little Rock last summer and it was perfectly fine. Not as good as Hy-vee but good.

It's a helpful smile in every aisle. I don't know but the crappy music they now play in their stores is highly annoying. I guess it gets people out of the store faster!
Crappy music?!!? Hah! The other day I heard an interesting mix of Lifehouse, the Who, Duran Duran, Matchbox Twenty, Elton John, and Foo Fighters while I was shopping (CR, Edgewood Rd. NE store). There were a couple others mixed in there, but can't remember who they were. Actually, was kind of fun to listen to; not typical grocery store music. It must be store-dependent. The one on Oakland Rd. NE certainly doesn't have a variety quite like the other store, nor is it nearly as fun a mix.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Crappy music?!!? Hah! The other day I heard an interesting mix of Lifehouse, the Who, Duran Duran, Matchbox Twenty, Elton John, and Foo Fighters while I was shopping (CR, Edgewood Rd. NE store). There were a couple others mixed in there, but can't remember who they were. Actually, was kind of fun to listen to; not typical grocery store music. It must be store-dependent. The one on Oakland Rd. NE certainly doesn't have a variety quite like the other store, nor is it nearly as fun a mix.

I don't know but all of the stores in Iowa City/Coralville don't have mixes like that any more. It's all soulless pap filled with autotune and repetitive and annoying wailing devoid of any emotion, creativity or soul..

Reactions: mstp1992
my aunts hyvee stock has always done well. She was a manager there for over 20 years and did quite well.

Every store can play whatever music they want. Our newest store director likes country in the morning and 80s in the afternoon.

Our local HyVee has reduced hours and I was told store directors are taking a pay decrease. The Market Grille was awesome with kids eating free on tuesdays, a nice menu, and bottomless bloodys on Sunday but it was a colossal failure. It is a shell of it’s former self. Another store just down the road closed altogether. I’m not anti HyVee like many of you and would be sad to see them go or get bought out.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Our local HyVee has reduced hours and I was told store directors are taking a pay decrease. The Market Grille was awesome with kids eating free on tuesdays, a nice menu, and bottomless bloodys on Sunday but it was a colossal failure. It is a shell of it’s former self. Another store just down the road closed altogether. I’m not anti HyVee like many of you and would be sad to see them go or get bought out.
Edgewood Rd. Hy-Vee seems to be doing fine. Market Grille generally appears busy. Only complaint I have is the bulk seasonings seems to lack attention. A few times recently they’ve been out of spices I was looking for.

Edgewood Rd. Hy-Vee seems to be doing fine. Market Grille generally appears busy. Only complaint I have is the bulk seasonings seems to lack attention. A few times recently they’ve been out of spices I was looking for.

I think HyVee closed or drastically altered 20 some Market Grilles. I am part to blame for ours going in the crapper...I got my money’s worth on Sundays.

Reactions: mstp1992
Our Hy-Vee had always been open 24/7. Recently changed to closing from 12AM-5AM. So, some changes seem to be in the works.

FWIW, I was quite dubious when HyVee went with the Market Grille approach v. conventional deli/cafeteria style seating. But oh well, what do I know?

I am not surprised to see them moving away from Market Grille setups. If I want to eat "nice" I will go to a restaurant, not a grocery store. Bring back the regular cafeteria style seating...they always seemed to be busy when I was in there.

Reactions: UKGrad93
FWIW, I was quite dubious when HyVee went with the Market Grille approach v. conventional deli/cafeteria style seating. But oh well, what do I know?

I am not surprised to see them moving away from Market Grille setups. If I want to eat "nice" I will go to a restaurant, not a grocery store. Bring back the regular cafeteria style seating...they always seemed to be busy when I was in there.
Yeah I never understood the Market Grille. Or really anything they've done to appear more upscale.

Reactions: NI hawk
Yeah I never understood the Market Grille. Or really anything they've done to appear more upscale.
Agreed. I can’t even imagine how good the food would need to be to entice me to “ go out for dinner and drinks “ at a grocery store.

imo if they wanted to try it, launch a new chain in stand alone buildings.

Reactions: NI hawk
Business 101. You must grow faster and make more money than last year. If you don't for a couple years in a row, bring in new management. New management goes after the biggest expense - people.

My brother works for HyVee. He says they have been cutting staff, combining departments, store managers covering multiple stores. Almost sounds like panic.

He has been there 30 years. He's a "shift manager" from 2 pm to midnight and makes $45k. He was sure they were going to cut his pay (like everyone else) to maybe $35k. Fortunately, they left him alone, maybe because of the 30 years or his age, IDK.

What happens, of course, is that the best employees leave, the lousy employees get fired, and you end up with a bunch of mediocre, low-paid employees.

Reactions: cigaretteman
that's nothing to brag about. I pay about $110 for a weeks worth of groceries for a family of 7. You spend $850 at hy vee every month to save $7 in gas money.

1) I don’t shop at Hy-Vee

2) we spend about $150 for a family of 4

3) how are your groceries so cheap? Do you eat out, or just eat cheap food?

Kroger is not very good IMO.

Like HyVee a lot but they have almost been too cute with some of their innovations between the Wahlburgers, the Basin products section, etc. You always want to be creative but many of their new things don’t make much sense to me.
Things they are trying in the Twin Cities that don't seem to be working:

* Joe Fresh Clothing
* Mexican Fast Casual (people go to Chipotle)
* Market Grill Restaurants apparently are losing a lot of money, too

This story from today is another indication that Hy-Vee is struggling to figure out how many stores, the size of the stores, where to put the stores, how to fulfill growing online orders and how to compete with the Aldi's and Amazon's of the world.

As you can see from this story, up to 2,000 jobs are gone by the end of this month.

Hy-Vee closing all Fullfillment Centers, more than 300 jobs at risk in Eagan, Minnesota (St Paul suburb)

Hy-Vee is also moving the opening of its Spring Lake Park MN store to this fall.
By John Ewoldt
Minneapolis Star Tribune

MARCH 9, 2020 — 5:01PM CT

Hy-Vee will close its all of its four online fulfillment centers, including one in Minnesota, later this month.

The four centers for the West Des Moines-based supermarket chain are located in Eagan MN, Des Moines IA, Omaha NE and Kansas City MO.

More than 300 employees could lose their jobs at the Eagan MN plant, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification issued Monday.

Some of the other locations have more than 500 employees. Hy-Vee executives didn’t provide exact numbers based on the number of employees who may be offered other work in the company. For those who do not find other work within Hy-Vee, their last day will be May 6.

“Our customers want a full assortment of products, personalized shoppers and same-day pick up at the store, which we are unable to fully provide when we process orders at a fulfillment center,” said Hy-Vee spokeswoman Christina Gayman in a statement. Operations will be transferred to the retail stores later this month so that customers’ online orders will now be filled at local Hy-Vees.

Hy-Vee’s online ordering system called Aisles Online was launched in 2015. The Eagan, Omaha and Kansas City centers opened last year. The Eagan facility was about 90,000 square feet.

About a year ago, Hy-Vee dropped plans for a distribution center in Austin, Minn., to focus on online ordering. Consumers can also use delivery services from Instacart and Shipt for Hy-Vee orders.

Other retail chains such as Albertsons, ShopRite, Loblaws, and Amazon’s new grocery store chain are switching to micro fulfillment models, which fill online orders from existing store locations, according to trade publication Progressive Grocer.

In another sign that Hy-Vee is shifting gears, its 74,000-square-foot Spring Lake Park store that was to open this spring will now open in the fall. A new store in Blaine that was making a debut in 2021 is now in a “no update” status, according to Gayman.

New stores in Columbia Heights, a second location in Maple Grove on 101st Av., Chaska, Farmington and West St. Paul also have no updates. A Wahlburgers restaurant in a franchise partnership with the Wahlberg brothers Mark, Donnie and Paul opened in February in Maple Grove.

Hy-Vee operates more than 260 stores in eight Midwestern states, including 11 in the Twin Cities.

John Ewoldt is a business reporter for the Star Tribune. He writes about small and large retailers including supermarkets, restaurants, consumer issues and trends, and personal finance.

jewoldt@startribune.com
612-673-7633
StribEwoldt (Twitter)

LINK: http://www.startribune.com/hy-vee-c...ore-than-300-jobs-at-risk-in-eagan/568641892/

Last edited:
Agreed. I can’t even imagine how good the food would need to be to entice me to “ go out for dinner and drinks “ at a grocery store.

imo if they wanted to try it, launch a new chain in stand alone buildings.

It was an incredibly stupid idea, and they had something that was already working. I assume that they made money with the old setup like at the Waterfront location where they had the cafeteria that was always full of old folks in the morning getting breakfast.

Nobody wants to go on a night out to a grocery store. The Market Grille has to be an outside consultant BS idea, that idiotic Hy-Vee management went with--any decision maker that greenlighted the idea better be gone--it's too bad those types always get a golden parachute these days.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Friends with some higher ups. They seem to be doing ok. Haven't heard anything from them and I hang out with them socially. Maybe it's a secret though.

I really like Hy-Vee. I hope they don't stop doing the things that make them different.

They are always clean and with friendly people. They have good employees who look respectable and we'll dressed. If someone is waiting to checkout they quickly open another line.

These are the reasons I am willing to pay a little higher prices at Hy-Vee. Hopefully they stick to the things that draw in their customers. If they go to poor pay, they will get poor workers and will go downhill even quicker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT