ADVERTISEMENT

“Cloth Masks aren’t very effective.”

I agree with you 100%. I am much more inclined to believe someone who is confident enough to say "we don't know". We have a scientific method to test things we don't know and sometimes the conclusion is "we still don't know". I have rarely, if ever, disagreed with Osterholm. I don't know why people are still arguing about face masks. Get the vaccine. Wear the best face mask you can, but no matter what, get the vaccine. That's what Osterholm is saying. That's what every respected scientist in the world is saying. Get the damn vaccine. Oh, and wear the best mask you can and avoid large groups of people.

I know I have participated in this thread and am still in favor of wearing a mask, but the folks who say "masks don't work" are not entirely wrong. There are 1000 shades of grey when it comes to masks and how effective they are. Mask mandates are not effective because most people are either not willing or are unable to wear an effective mask and wear it properly. However, if you are anti-mask, you better be pro-vaccine because if you trust the data that says masks don't work, you sure as hell should trust the data that proves that vaccines do.

We are severely lacking in education and logic in this country. You don't need a phd in virology to know that it's a bad idea to be in a huge group of people during a pandemic. Of course distancing is the best thing you can do short of getting a vaccine. You also don't need to be a genius to understand that if your mouth and nose are visible, your mask isn't being worn correctly. If you can blow out a candle through your mask, it's not helping you or anyone else. The problem is people are selfish pricks. They don't want to isolate and they don't want to wear a mask that might be uncomfortable to wear. They don't want to get a vaccine. We are a country of selfish, uneducated pricks.
Agreed for the most part but the fact is masks do work. Mask mandates might not because people are stupid and stubborn, but that doesn't mean masks don't aid in preventing the spread of the virus. Claiming so is just dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: your_master5
Cloth masks, the kind that almost everyone has been wearing, don't work for more than 10 minutes according to Osterholm.
Period.

Cloth masks, the kind that almost everyone has been wearing, don't work for more than 10 minutes according to Osterholm.
Period.
i.e. cloth masks work and Osterholm advocates them but far prefers N95 for better protection and prevention.

• Haha
Reactions: your_master5
I couldn't give a rats ass if they work or not I am not wearing one. If a place requires one I just go elsewhere. Although I doubt if where I live there will be many requiring them.

i.e. cloth masks work and Osterholm advocates them but far prefers N95 for better protection and prevention.
PineHawk is right. RileyHawk is right. You guys are arguing semantics. Osterholm does recommend masks, but pretty much states that cloth masks pretty much suck. Still better than nothing. I would be in favor of an N95 mask mandate. I mean if you are going to require masks, at least make people wear a mask that is actually worth wearing. And then make those masks cheap and available. And then educate everyone on how to wear the mask. And then watch as Covid continues to spread because people aren't getting vaccinated.

*EDIT: mask mandates SHOULD only be for the unvaccinated. If you have had the vaccine, you shouldn't have to wear a mask. The problem is that America is full of selfish pricks who will just lie about being vaccinated and then not wear a mask. Therefore, everyone needs to wear a mask because the honor system is completely out the window.

Last edited:
Tr
The atomic bomb would have had a tremendous effect on the Civil War... but, they didn't have airplanes to drop the fvcking thing.

N95 masks wouldn't have saved that many more lives in 1918. Osterholm says as much. What's funny, and stupid, is trying to compare the times and the technology. But, it allows you and Joe to jerk each other off for a few more pages.
Trump would disagree with you here.

• Haha
Reactions: strummingram
So, masks ONLY work in hospitals? Not ANYWHERE ELSE?
No. Masks are required of me at the hospital.

Their efficacy is no different based on location. And I think they are poorly efficacious.

Vaccines are the answer. Not masks. Not social distancing. Not shutdowns. ‘Shutdown’ Joe.

No. Masks are required of me at the hospital.

Their efficacy is no different based on location. And I think they are poorly efficacious.
U should totally go w/o one at work. 'Splain to the chief administrator they don't work anyway.

Post back on how that goes for you.

Here is Osterholm in another interview basically saying the same thing he said in the CNN interview just goes into a little more detail. In fact if you watch this and still think he thinks cloth masks are effective you are a political hack(which is why Riley and Joe keep spamming this thread with misiniformation). If Democrats really wanted mask mandates to be more than political theater why not create 'N95 mask mandates?'

He's stated this OUTRIGHT: ONE of his concerns is people becoming complacent WITH masks. It's WHY he keeps telling you they have LIMITED effectiveness and not in every situation.

Good God.

Reactions: RileyHawk
JFC. We will never get out of this mess.
You should vote for Trump. The poorly educated love Trump.

Read my posts prior. There are gonna be only two groups at the end of this. Those that had the vaccine and may or may not get COVID and those that didn’t and got COVID and survived.

There will not be a didn’t get the vaccine and didn’t get COVID. As such the masks, social distancing, shutdowns are all Kabuki theater.

U should totally go w/o one at work. 'Splain to the chief administrator they don't work anyway.

Post back on how that goes for you.
Administrators don’t know shit.

Maybe you should read some literature that doesn’t echo your world view. Surgical masks as a preventative for an airborne virus arent supported by the literature for any significant exposure time.

2021 and were walking around with a piece of shirt sleeve on our face thinking somehow, someway that’ll save us with the federal government reassuring us so.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
2021 and were walking around with a piece of shirt sleeve on our face thinking somehow, someway that’ll save us with the federal government reassuring us so.

Actually, it's epidemiologists and scientists telling you that.
Not that "it'll save us"; it'll help to slow the spread.

You should vote for Trump. The poorly educated love Trump.

Read my posts prior. There are gonna be only two groups at the end of this. Those that had the vaccine and may or may not get COVID and those that didn’t and got COVID and survived.

There will not be a didn’t get the vaccine and didn’t get COVID. As such the masks, social distancing, shutdowns are all Kabuki theater.

Freaking idiot. You believe you have the knowledge and expertise to contradict health and infectious disease experts.

You belong in the pool of bozos and wingnut ding dongs.

PineHawk is right. RileyHawk is right. You guys are arguing semantics. Osterholm does recommend masks, but pretty much states that cloth masks pretty much suck. Still better than nothing. I would be in favor of an N95 mask mandate. I mean if you are going to require masks, at least make people wear a mask that is actually worth wearing. And then make those masks cheap and available. And then educate everyone on how to wear the mask. And then watch as Covid continues to spread because people aren't getting vaccinated.

*EDIT: mask mandates SHOULD only be for the unvaccinated. If you have had the vaccine, you shouldn't have to wear a mask. The problem is that America is full of selfish pricks who will just lie about being vaccinated and then not wear a mask. Therefore, everyone needs to wear a mask because the honor system is completely out the window.
How did those mandatory N95 masks work in Germany for the spread? It didn't. There is NO science behind this and never was. Calling me a selfish prick because I'm not vaccinated and then telling me I need to wear a mask to discriminate me from others is ridiculous. I've already had covid, I don't NEED a damn vaccination. I have immunity.

• Haha
I watched/listened to this last night. It has John M. Barry, mentioned earlier, as the keynote speaker. At about 3-4 different times, he states, unequivocally, that the masks in 1918 didn't make any difference at all.

• Haha
I watched/listened to this last night. It has John H. Barry, mentioned earlier, as the keynote speaker. At about 3-4 different times, he states, unequivocally, that the masks in 1918 didn't make any difference at all.
2021 mask technology >> 1918 mask technology

Because they ARE, those folks must KNOW something that you DO NOT.
Yeah they were TOLD to do it, not that there was ANY science around it. There are many doctors and nurses at the U of I I know that took the face diapers off when they are not at work because they know they don't do SHIT. Theater.

• Haha
They didn't have fitted N-95 respirators, but, neither do the vast majority of people walking around wearing their cloth masks since this pandemic began. Joe is terrified that his mask-pimping has been in vain.
Pimping doesn't really describe it...

Reactions: Pinehawk
They didn't have fitted N-95 respirators, but, neither do the vast majority of people walking around wearing their cloth masks since this pandemic began. Joe is terrified that his mask-pimping has been in vain.
Exactly, his point can't possibly be about N95 masks so his post is just boneheaded as usual. He's been wrong about everything as it relates to covid.

Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT