ADVERTISEMENT

“Cloth Masks aren’t very effective.”

Good point. If there'd only been N95 masks in 1918, so many people would have survived! LOL... I have no doubt you believe that. Continue this thread for another 8 pages arguing about masks and the 1918 flu. :rolleyes:

I love seeing so many people threatened by the truth that masks have very little EFFECT on this virus and the Influenza of 1918. And, I've been wearing a mask since early March 2020. I wore a mask even when the people in charge said it was okay to remove them. I knew they spoke too soon. I knew this thing still had some death left in it.

I even admit to the "emotional safety" that masks provide. It does help to make me FEEL protected. But, I also know that it doesn't really protect me. And, I have a box of N-95's in my Jeep at all times. I'm vaccinated and I want everyone to wear masks and get their shots. But, it's obvious that Osterholm is absolutely correct in his assessment of masks being MOSTLY useless.
You were Ok until your last statement. Osterholm is an advocate of masks - especially those that work best, N95.
No one is "threatened" by your "truth" - most of us are amused. N95 would have had tremendous EFFECT on the 1918 flu pandemic but they didn't have the option.

You're funny.

You were Ok until your last statement. Osterholm is an advocate of masks - especially those that work best, N95.
No one is "threatened" by your "truth" - most of us are amused. N95 would have had tremendous EFFECT on the 1918 flu pandemic but they didn't have the option.

You're funny.
The atomic bomb would have had a tremendous effect on the Civil War... but, they didn't have airplanes to drop the fvcking thing.

N95 masks wouldn't have saved that many more lives in 1918. Osterholm says as much. What's funny, and stupid, is trying to compare the times and the technology. But, it allows you and Joe to jerk each other off for a few more pages.

The atomic bomb would have had a tremendous effect on the Civil War... but, they didn't have airplanes to drop the fvcking thing.

N95 masks wouldn't have saved that many more lives in 1918. Osterholm says as much. What's funny, and stupid, is trying to compare the times and the technology. But, it allows you and Joe to jerk each other off for a few more pages.
I didn't try to compare the different times, you did. Masks work. Osterholm confirms this. You've been beaten so it's understandable that you are emotional. Try to manage.

• Haha
Reactions: your_master5
Shank offered this before, but it's worth sharing again. Osterholm does a lot of rather confusing double-speak in this. He's not committing to one or the other, which is probably the way they have to present themselves.

However, he makes it very clear that masks don't really help UNLESS they are N-95s. And, even those are minimally-effective. He says that studies show that the masks in 1918 had no real protection. But, he wants to "throw the kitchen sink at it." I really don't know why he spends any time talking about the inadequacy of masks at all, if he really means what he says about the kitchen sink. Wait until it's over before you start undermining anything that is being used in the name of mitigation. Unless it's helping to SPREAD IT, just leave it alone.

And are you questioning the very source that you are banking your position on? LOFL.

I believe they are the 2nd most vaccinated country in the world. Did draconian lock downs and the whole shebang.
WTF are they going apeshit crazy with it now? Israel has a .7% fatality percentage! You have a 99.3% chance of survival from Covid-19 in Israel!

According to Osterholm, we're stuck in this pandemic because of the Covid-19 virus... period.

It seems that some people are kind of pissed because we can't really control it. And, Osterholm has made it clear that we cannot control it! The virus does what it wants and we play "adapt and deal with it" until it dies-out.
Exactly.

How do you explain kids not getting colds or the flu this past winter? I’ve told you, teacher after teacher know and say the masks work because kids weren’t getting sick. We all have a stockpile of kleenex this year. What is your response to that? I forget. That’s our evidence that they helped a ton keeping them healthier this year than any other year in my career.

• Haha
No, actually masks ARE required in those facilities.
Go visit one and find out.
That's NOT the horseshit I was referring too, but of course you're too busy NOT backing up your claim in your post. Instead you say this lol.

That's exactly what your England/Sweden post was doing. Yep.
Because viruses never cross politically assigned borders, right?

And because many towns in Finland are much farther from Stockholm than London is.

Regardless, you’re still wrong; Sweden’s approach was a vast improvement over that of the US and GB.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Because viruses never cross politically assigned borders, right?

And because many towns in Finland are much farther from Stockholm than London is.

Regardless, you’re still wrong; Sweden’s approach was a vast improvement over that of the US and GB.
Sweden definitely didn't have a Delta spike from what I can see. The UK has had huge peaks and valleys from the start.

Sweden definitely didn't have a Delta spike from what I can see. The UK has had huge peaks and valleys from the start.
Delta was around in December. It looks like Sweden’s winter infections were dying out but took off again in February. Delta maybe?

It’s doubtful the science-denying clowns in Stockholm were as adept at genome sequencing as the professionals at the Meade County Health Dept in Sturgis so maybe Delta detection just slipped through the cracks on them?
😙

• Haha
Reactions: Finance85
Here is Osterholm in another interview basically saying the same thing he said in the CNN interview just goes into a little more detail. In fact if you watch this and still think he thinks cloth masks are effective you are a political hack(which is why Riley and Joe keep spamming this thread with misiniformation). If Democrats really wanted mask mandates to be more than political theater why not create 'N95 mask mandates?'

Here is Osterholm in another interview basically saying the same thing he said in the CNN interview just goes into a little more detail. In fact if you watch this and still think he thinks cloth masks are effective you are a political hack(which is why Riley and Joe keep spamming this thread with misiniformation). If Democrats really wanted mask mandates to be more than political theater why not create 'N95 mask mandates?'

He says exactly what Joe and I have been saying he says - cloth masks aren't as good as N95 and they both are only part of a good mitigation strategy. From the ****ing transcript of the article you just posted:

THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS BY TELLING PEOPLE THAT IN FACT JUST PUTTING A FACE CLOTH COVERING ON IS GOING TO PROTECT YOU IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

SO WHEN YOU ASK WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT ON N95 OR FELL LIKE YOU CAN'T, THAT IS YOUR CHOICE BUT BOTTOM LINE THE FACE CLOTH COVERING IS ONLY GOING TO PROVIDE YOU LIMITED PROTECTION.

JFC you guys are rubes.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk

"Without regard, necessarily, to what the humans do, you'll see these big surges of cases, often lasting 5-8 weeks... and then, it just ends... and, then it starts back up again, later. And, we don't understand that."

That's a bitter pill for some people to swallow- the scientists NOT understanding. Osterholm is , at least, humble enough to say "We don't know."

From what he said, it seems that DISTANCING is much more of an effective measure than masks! The plexiglass barriers aren't helping.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
He says exactly what Joe and I have been saying he says - cloth masks aren't as good as N95 and they both are only part of a good mitigation strategy. From the ****ing transcript of the article you just posted:

THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS BY TELLING PEOPLE THAT IN FACT JUST PUTTING A FACE CLOTH COVERING ON IS GOING TO PROTECT YOU IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

SO WHEN YOU ASK WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT ON N95 OR FELL LIKE YOU CAN'T, THAT IS YOUR CHOICE BUT BOTTOM LINE THE FACE CLOTH COVERING IS ONLY GOING TO PROVIDE YOU LIMITED PROTECTION.

JFC you guys are rubes.

Thanks for pointing out what we've been saying. That cloth face masks are pretty worthless.

• Love
Reactions: strummingram
That's not what he's been saying. You can try to spin it but you continue to be wrong.

But, you just posted what he said. It's right there in your post.

"THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS BY TELLING PEOPLE THAT IN FACT JUST PUTTING A FACE CLOTH COVERING ON IS GOING TO PROTECT YOU IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE"

Reactions: strummingram

"THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS BY TELLING PEOPLE THAT IN FACT JUST PUTTING A FACE CLOTH COVERING ON IS GOING TO PROTECT YOU IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE"
It's amazing how two different conclusions are drawn from the EXACT SAME STATEMENT!

It's amazing how two different conclusions are drawn from the EXACT SAME STATEMENT!

It's weird. Osterholm has basically said this exactly thing in 5 different ways across multiple interviews...and yet some still won't believe him? They want to tell us what he really means? Laughable.

"Without regard, necessarily, to what the humans do, you'll see these big surges of cases, often lasting 5-8 weeks... and then, it just ends... and, then it starts back up again, later. And, we don't understand that."

That's a bitter pill for some people to swallow- the scientists NOT understanding. Osterholm is , at least, humble enough to say "We don't know."

From what he said, it seems that DISTANCING is much more of an effective measure than masks! The plexiglass barriers aren't helping.

I agree with you 100%. I am much more inclined to believe someone who is confident enough to say "we don't know". We have a scientific method to test things we don't know and sometimes the conclusion is "we still don't know". I have rarely, if ever, disagreed with Osterholm. I don't know why people are still arguing about face masks. Get the vaccine. Wear the best face mask you can, but no matter what, get the vaccine. That's what Osterholm is saying. That's what every respected scientist in the world is saying. Get the damn vaccine. Oh, and wear the best mask you can and avoid large groups of people.

I know I have participated in this thread and am still in favor of wearing a mask, but the folks who say "masks don't work" are not entirely wrong. There are 1000 shades of grey when it comes to masks and how effective they are. Mask mandates are not effective because most people are either not willing or are unable to wear an effective mask and wear it properly. However, if you are anti-mask, you better be pro-vaccine because if you trust the data that says masks don't work, you sure as hell should trust the data that proves that vaccines do.

We are severely lacking in education and logic in this country. You don't need a phd in virology to know that it's a bad idea to be in a huge group of people during a pandemic. Of course distancing is the best thing you can do short of getting a vaccine. You also don't need to be a genius to understand that if your mouth and nose are visible, your mask isn't being worn correctly. If you can blow out a candle through your mask, it's not helping you or anyone else. The problem is people are selfish pricks. They don't want to isolate and they don't want to wear a mask that might be uncomfortable to wear. They don't want to get a vaccine. We are a country of selfish, uneducated pricks.

Yes - we have NEVER said, nor has anyone, that masks alone will protect someone completely. That's why they are combined with distancing, avoiding indoor crowds, etc. JFC you continue to misrepresent the narrative. Masks work and help prevent the spread of the virus, but they are not sufficient alone. That's ALWAYS been our message and it is correct.

It's weird. Osterholm has basically said this exactly thing in 5 different ways across multiple interviews...and yet some still won't believe him? They want to tell us what he really means? Laughable.
He has and it is consistent with his advocation for masks, particularly N95. It's only you and a few other dolts who are trying to spin this into something else.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT