ADVERTISEMENT

“Driver 8” By REM

It's a great song, and still, only about my 4th or 5th favorite on that album.

I love every one of their albums from Murmur through Monster. Their next few were hit and miss, then Accelerate and Collapse Into Now reminder far more of their early stuff. Life's Rich Pageant is my favorite though, love every song on that album.

I have been a massive R.E.M. fan for almost 40 years (!?!), but I must take Ronnie's post above as an excuse to hijack the thread and share this great Old 97s song that makes me laugh my ass off every time I hear it.

Rhett Miller is an all-time top 10 lyricist IMO. His wordplay is amongst the most clever I’ve ever heard or read.

Reactions: HawkCat
Hindu Love Gods with Warren Zevon had some great songs, otherwise way too slick for my taste.

I met Mike Mills in Athens once, about 15 years ago. He's a cool cat. We talked about college football mostly. A close friend's mother (who is also a close friend) was an associate professor of landscape architecture at UGA and owned a condo near where the church was located that Stipe lived in and they rehearsed. I think he even owned the condo complex.

Athens is a great town.

A band I was in in Myrtle Beach in the early 90's would cover Driver 8 and:

I liked them pretty much up to Automatic For The People.

The fall once that came out was rather fast for me. But I can take most of Eponymous plus selected cuts off everything from Out of Time and before (that aren't on Epo) and make a damn good 80 minute jam CD.

Reactions: VodkaSam
i saw an almost REM reunion last fall. Kevn Kinney on vocals instead of Michael Stipe. Still pretty fantastic.
I played with Drivin'n'Cryin' on a radio acoustic show! Buren Fowler was MIA and the radio station asked me to bring some guitars down for them. Kevn asked if I played, and I said "hell yeah", so I followed them through about 6 songs, live. 2 were from Kevn Kinney's solo record "Down Outlaw" which was tough!

I’m on this. Funny how I sometimes go through really short spurts of listening to all albums for about two weeks - then do it again about 8 months later.

whoever mentioned drivin n cryin above - that’s another that I try to shuffle through here and there. I was lucky to get exposure to some of these bands early when I was a kid in GA. Album 88 was a cool station for a 14 year old kid to have access to college music, and it’s stuck with me ever since.

I played with Drivin'n'Cryin' on a radio acoustic show! Buren Fowler was MIA and the radio station asked me to bring some guitars down for them. Kevn asked if I played, and I said "hell yeah", so I followed them through about 6 songs, live. 2 were from Kevn Kinney's solo record "Down Outlaw" which was tough!

I love Kevn Kinney's solo stuff--some of it more than the Drivin N Cryin stuff.

Reactions: strummingram
This has got to be a satire thread, because everything ever produced by REM is straight dogshit. Fight me.

a8e.jpg

This has got to be a satire thread, because everything ever produced by REM is straight dogshit. Fight me.

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills...bitch!

I liked them pretty much up to Automatic For The People.

The fall once that came out was rather fast for me. But I can take most of Eponymous plus selected cuts off everything from Out of Time and before (that aren't on Epo) and make a damn good 80 minute jam CD.

I thought they jumped the shark after Monster...

Reactions: jasonrann
I thought they jumped the shark after Monster...

New Adventures in Hi Fi is really good. Last album with Bill Berry. Some of the metal infusion from Monster. I would say they were at their peak and that is rare as a lot of bands peak on album 2 or 3. Reveal in 2001 is excellent. That is almost 20 years after Murmur.

I am a huge PJ fan and I think they peaked at Yield which was album 5 and like 7 years after Ten?

New Adventures in Hi Fi is really good. Last album with Bill Berry. Some of the metal infusion from Monster. I would say they were at their peak and that is rare as a lot of bands peak on album 2 or 3. Reveal in 2001 is excellent. That is almost 20 years after Murmur.

I am a huge PJ fan and I think they peaked at Yield which was album 5 and like 7 years after Ten?

I need to relisten to the CDs after Monster honestly but from what I recall, with just a couple of exceptions, the lyrics seem forced and shallow compared to the earlier stuff. Could just be me though as I have been on board with them since Murmur...

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I've seen them twice in concert (Davenport and Iowa City in the 80's), love their earlier stuff. Automatic for the People and Monster were alright but I never loved those albums

Reactions: VodkaSam
Embarrassed to say that I have never seen them live. I have always been a huge fan. Driver 8 is one of my favorite songs to play on guitar. This is another of my favorites, with Mills doing lead vocals. He is a very underrated vocalist, IMHO.

So jealous. Hope they reunite if only to tour again. Only a few acts on my concert bucket list, and REM is definitely one of them.

I read something late last year about a possible tour starting in late 2020. That was WAY before this virus shit started though. Hoping for next year. If it happens, I definitely will not miss it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT