ADVERTISEMENT

“Driver 8” By REM

Embarrassed to say that I have never seen them live. I have always been a huge fan. Driver 8 is one of my favorite songs to play on guitar. This is another of my favorites, with Mills doing lead vocals. He is a very underrated vocalist, IMHO.

Sadly I haven't seen them live either. With that said, I don't remember opportunities to see them in the 90's.

Seems like Automatic for the People doesn’t get a ton of love. I actually love listening to that one beginning to end. And don’t get me wrong, Murmer and the earlier is fantastic as well. I feel like AftP’s production and instrumentals are more complex and advanced, without the slip in lyrics of their later albums that someone mentioned above. That’s just me though.

Seems like Automatic for the People doesn’t get a ton of love. I actually love listening to that one beginning to end. And don’t get me wrong, Murmer and the earlier is fantastic as well. I feel like AftP’s production and instrumentals are more complex and advanced, without the slip in lyrics of their later albums that someone mentioned above. That’s just me though.

Automatic for the People might be their best album. I loved it and I just started listing to it as I type this (has been a long time). I remember rolling stone giving it 5 stars.

I am three behind...Try Not to Breathe

edit - now on Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight - f'ing great song.

My wife is 6 years younger than me and pretty much only listens to Beyoncé, Rhianna, and that kind of stuff. Every now and then I’ll be listening to a song and she’ll ask what the name of it is and it’ll turn up on her playlist. Sidewinder was one of those songs. I agree with you.

My wife is 6 years younger than me and pretty much only listens to Beyoncé, Rhianna, and that kind of stuff. Every now and then I’ll be listening to a song and she’ll ask what the name of it is and it’ll turn up on her playlist. Sidewinder was one of those songs. I agree with you.

My wife (no pic) is ten years younger than me, I'm 50. She has EXCELLENT taste in music. That was actually one of the first things we ever connected on. Muddy Waters, Eagles, Allman Brothers, etc. She loves it all.

My wife (no pic) is ten years younger than me, I'm 50. She has EXCELLENT taste in music. That was actually one of the first things we ever connected on. Muddy Waters, Eagles, Allman Brothers, etc. She loves it all.

Wife is 9 years younger and was born in South America (likes top 40 and Latin) so she does not love my music but tolerates it. But I have grown to appreciate Latin music.

May 9th, 1985 Hancher Auditorium. The wife (girlfriend at the time, sorry no pics) had great seats about twenty rows back center stage. My band of brothers had front row seats and although my memory has faded. I don't think anyone there ever sat down the entire show. The sound of course was impeccable, because Hancher.

And I just want to reiterate again for the record, I have absolutely no idea how the guys in the front row obtained ether for that show. It's a mystery to me.

Fantastic song. REM though...hard to go wrong.

Massively underrated REM song below:

Also, don't care what anyone says about HBF - I love them and I love their Driver 8 cover. HBF hugely influenced by REM. Recently covered Losing my Religion and I like it too.

She says Dar's the one I love the most
And Stipe's not far behind.

Reactions: Hawki97
May 9th, 1985 Hancher Auditorium. The wife (girlfriend at the time, sorry no pics) had great seats about twenty rows back center stage. My band of brothers had front row seats and although my memory has faded. I don't think anyone there ever sat down the entire show. The sound of course was impeccable, because Hancher.

And I just want to reiterate again for the record, I have absolutely no idea how the guys in the front row obtained ether for that show. It's a mystery to me.
Did the Hoodoo Gurus open for them?

resizer

My wife has great taste, as well, although hers tends more to the indie/college rock and Americana sides of things. When we first started dating almost exactly 30 years ago, we bonded over music--sitting in her apartment sharing favorite records with each other. Our favorite date is attending a show at a club. At one point, she admitted almost resenting me for being as much of a music snob as her, as that was such a big part of her identity. She curates great Spotify playlists that my buddies listen to all the time.

Reactions: jasonrann
Embarrassed to say that I have never seen them live. I have always been a huge fan. Driver 8 is one of my favorite songs to play on guitar. This is another of my favorites, with Mills doing lead vocals. He is a very underrated vocalist, IMHO.

Sadly I haven't seen them live either. With that said, I don't remember opportunities to see them in the 90's.

Get a buzz going and fire up Tour Film on youtube. Next best thing...

The 1st major concert I ever saw was REM at Hilton Coliseum in 1989 on the Green tour. We got to go backstage after the show. Friend of mine’s uncle was in charge of the merchandise and had the connection.

Love this mix of EV and REM on It Happened Today. PJ also played it in tribute on their tour on the day REM broke up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT