ADVERTISEMENT

Fran at 272 Wins is Winningest Coach in Iowa Basketball History. Patrick: “I didn’t want to leave (Siena), absolutely not. I was so mad at him.”

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
When the McCaffery family got to the airport to fly to Iowa City, Connor locked the doors of the car and laid on the floor; he didn't want to go.

Jack McCaffery was 3 years old when the family moved to Iowa. In July, 2022, Jack was talking to Melsahn Basabe, who was in town visiting. Basabe was Fran's first recruit at Iowa. Jack is now nearly 6'9" and is taller than Basabe.

Nice story from Rick Brown, former Register beat writer & now writing for SI.

Last edited:
Ri
When the McCaffery family got to the airport to fly to Iowa City, Connor locked the doors of the car and laid on the floor; he didn't want to go.

Jack McCaffery was 3 years old when the family moved to Iowa. In July, Jack was talking to Melsahn Basabe, who was in town visiting. Basabe was Fran's first recruit at Iowa. Jack is now nearly 6'9" and is taller than Basabe.

Nice story from Rick Brown, former Register beat writer & now writing for SI.

Rick Brown was one of the best ever in Iowa; good to see him still putting out excellent articles. I know Fran has his critics, but I think he’s doing a fine job. Really inherited a mess, and has built program back to be well respected nationally. The future looks bright, if he can land a real good big man with the young guys on roster and 4 guys already coming in; Iowa will be a real power

Ri

Rick Brown was one of the best ever in Iowa; good to see him still putting out excellent articles. I know Fran has his critics, but I think he’s doing a fine job. Really inherited a mess, and has built program back to be well respected nationally. The future looks bright, if he can land a real good big man with the young guys on roster and 4 guys already coming in; Iowa will be a real power
What's wrong with 6-11 Owen Freeman, is he not good enough for you? There's a good chance that he will lead Moline High School to their first state championship this coming year.....

Iowa is one win away from its 5th consecutive 20-win season and 9th overall under Fran. The last time Iowa posted five straight 20-win seasons was 1995-99 under Tom Davis.

If Iowa beats Nebraska tomorrow, Fran McCaffery will surpass Tom Davis for the most B1G regular season wins (127) in program history.

GDLnLnqWAAA7CIv

Irronically, these two coaches share something else: growing disdain from a fan base that has seen enough after 13 years.

But, congrats to Fran. He stabilized this program and avoided a 10 year lick hangover drought.
Now let's beat the Huskers on Friday. They play PU on tues then travel to IC. Win, Hawkeyes!

Irronically, these two coaches share something else: growing disdain from a fan base that has seen enough after 13 years.

But, congrats to Fran. He stabilized this program and avoided a 10 year lick hangover drought.
Now let's beat the Huskers on Friday. They play PU on tues then travel to IC. Win, Hawkeyes!
Tom Davis was a class act.

Tom Davis took us from being a very good team to being a pretty good team. Fran has taken us from being a very bad team to being a pretty good team. I have a lot of respect for both coaches but it would be nice to be a very good team again.

The full text of the tweet:

Fran McCaffery on having the most Big Ten wins in Iowa program history:

"I don’t really think too much about wins. I always kinda find it interesting, they talk about ‘I have this many wins.’ I didn’t play anybody. Iowa won those games… I’d prefer not to really make a big deal of what my won-loss record is because I came here to coach the University of Iowa."

Steve Pikiell on Fran McCaffery:

“He’s one of the best coaches in America. I know sometimes when you have a guy that’s been here for a while, you don’t appreciate truly every year he has a really good team. He’s a terrific coach. That record is hard to achieve. Make sure you appreciate him because those guys are hard to come by.”

Fran McCaffery on Tom Davis:

"Coach Davis is somebody that I've known for a long time. Always admired not only his coaching style and his success but more importantly, the kind of person he is. He's always been incredibly humble. And he was so kind to me when I got here and when I got this job. We've remained friends. Just to be discussed in the same conversation with him is something that makes me incredibly proud."

ADVERTISEMENT