ADVERTISEMENT

“Iowa Football Is WAY BETTER Than Anyone Thought…”

Nice video.
Nice nutshell 8 minutes.
Except for the "I'm tired of seeing people disrespect Iowa" line.
What does that mean?
Iowa gets a ton of respect.
College football fans across the board more or less agree Iowa is a mostly good, sometimes very good, sometimes not very good, program.

Isn't that right?

The only time people may "disrespect" Iowa is when Iowa is ranked super high.
How has that worked out in the past?
Rose Bowl vs Stanford.
Orange Bowl vs USC.

Yeah. That's why many might not buy into #5 yet.

Anyway, good stuff.

Nice video.
Nice nutshell 8 minutes.
What does that mean?
College football fans across the board more or less agree Iowa is a mostly good, sometimes very good, sometimes not very good, program.

Isn't that right?

Rose Bowl vs Stanford.
Orange Bowl vs USC.

Anyway, good stuff.
I agree - who says Iowa doesn't get respect? I'm tired of that. Iowa is not overlooked or disrespected.

He also says Indiana and ISU were overrated. What? I'm pretty sure that somebody was going to lose those games - does that mean the loser is overrated?

Iowa doesn't recruit for talent? Hogwash. The line should be that Iowa doesn't recruit guys ONLY for their talent.

I agree - who says Iowa doesn't get respect? I'm tired of that. Iowa is not overlooked or disrespected.

He also says Indiana and ISU were overrated. What? I'm pretty sure that somebody was going to lose those games - does that mean the loser is overrated?

Iowa doesn't recruit for talent? Hogwash. The line should be that Iowa doesn't recruit guys ONLY for their talent.
"coaches think Iowa is fraudulent"

Some of you guys are funny and will bitch about literally anything. 😆

It was an interesting video from an outsider’s perspective who was being very complimentary to the Iowa program while trying to remain objective. I didn’t agree with everything but he was pretty accurate in the facts he presented and in the general overtone of his presentation.

Lol. JFC, guys…try to have a good day.

Some of you guys are funny and will bitch about literally anything. 😆

It was an interesting video from an outsider’s perspective who was being very complimentary to the Iowa program while trying to remain objective. I didn’t agree with everything but he was pretty accurate in the facts he presented and in the general overtone of his presentation.

Lol. JFC, guys…try to have a good day.
I will try but there are these people who keep trying to tell me how to think, they bring me down lol

Iowa's offense definitely has some things to work out, but I think the numbers don't tell the whole story and the criticism has been overly harsh.

Iowa's offense is conservative to begin with.
Iowa has had the lead in both games for 96:48 out of the 120:00 played.
Iowa played against two outstanding defenses, perhaps the two best that they will face (PSU & Wisky will also be good).
Iowa was without its normal starting RG who has all-conference potential, and broke in 2 new OT's. Going into the season, Iowa's LT, RG and RT had a combined 19 games experience and zero starts.
Iowa hasn't exactly been loaded with WR talent over the years, and lost their 2 top WR's to the NFL.

I don't think a slow start was to be unexpected. This offense will figure things out. I'd much rather start the season 2-0 against 2 good teams with good defenses than start 2-0 against Kent St and Colorado St, scoring 40+ points each game but really not knowing the weaknesses on offense.

Just enjoy it.

Iowa's offense definitely has some things to work out, but I think the numbers don't tell the whole story and the criticism has been overly harsh.

Iowa was without its normal starting RG who has all-conference potential, and broke in 2 new OT's. Going into the season, Iowa's LT, RG and RT had a combined 19 games experience and zero starts.
Iowa hasn't exactly been loaded with WR talent over the years, and lost their 2 top WR's to the NFL.
Just enjoy it.
Are you oblivious to the fact dozens upon dozens of teams are likely without “starters” and/or had unexpected losses due leaving for the NFL or graduation? I’m sure you DO know this.

Our offense IS that bad currently but I think they’ll improve slightly over the course of the season.

Iowa has had the lead in both games for 96:48 out of the 120:00 played.
Iowa played against two outstanding defenses, perhaps the two best that they will face (PSU & Wisky will also be good).

I don't think a slow start was to be unexpected. This offense will figure things out. I'd much rather start the season 2-0 against 2 good teams with good defenses than start 2-0 against Kent St and Colorado St, scoring 40+ points each game but really not knowing the weaknesses on offense.

Just enjoy it.
The good news is that they now have some film for the offense to look at against quality competition and a couple games to work on deficiencies.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I’m going with glass half full
Kirks teams ALWAYS improve as the season goes on
The offense did not have to be good so far
The offense did not want to show anything yet
Last year Petras improved game by game
Goodson is a much better back then he has shown so far
ISU and Indiana will probably have very good seasons
Both lines should greatly improve game by game

"coaches think Iowa is fraudulent"

“Down for down, Iowa State was better!”

No, they absolutely were not. I’m getting really irritated with these talking heads who don’t understand just how much Iowa goes into a shell up two scores. When Iowa’s offense NEEDS TO PRODUCE, it can. We scored right away against Indiana, then immediately on defense.

Both ISU and Iowa struggled out of the gate last weekend. Four punts, then a missed FG by Iowa, before ISU got on the board. Iowa’s next drive they moved the ball a BIT, then got their first interception. The next two Iowa drives, they went 120 yards in 18 plays and scored two TD’s.

Yes, the offense has to get better. But we did play a very good defensive team. The lion’s share of the second half was spent just trying to burn clock. There will come a game where the offense will HAVE to play with urgency, and I think it will look a bit different than what we’ve seen so far.

Reactions: F5n5
ISU and Indiana will probably have very good seasons
Yeah we’ll have to revisit this as the season progresses. Cincinnati is favored against Indiana in Bloomington this weekend.

QB’s vs the Hoosiers:
Idaho 63% completion
Petras 48%

Northern Iowa QB completed 61% against ISU.
Petras 52%

Now, I understand there have been a couple WR drops in each game but every QB deals with it throughout the season.

I know we kinda have a trifecta of issues (QB/OL/WR) and Petras should not shoulder all the blame, but, if we fielded a quarterback that could run (or even scramble)…..everything changes.

Hawks should be 3-0 come Saturday night, which will be awesome. As someone else mentioned, keep the foot on the gas if we manage to GET the foot on the gas 👍

Last edited:
Nice video.
Nice nutshell 8 minutes.
What does that mean?

Isn't that right?

Rose Bowl vs Stanford.
Orange Bowl vs USC.

Anyway, good stuff.
In fairness how about Orange bowl vs Georgia Tech, and Cap1 vs LSU, because we were big dogs in those games especially the Orange......

Are you oblivious to the fact dozens upon dozens of teams are likely without “starters” and/or had unexpected losses due leaving for the NFL or graduation? I’m sure you DO know this.

Our offense IS that bad currently but I think they’ll improve slightly over the course of the season.
I'm not oblivious to anything.

What I AM is someone who appreciates that it's hard to win football games and our players are doing their best, and I find no point in looking for things to b#tch and moan about when my team is 2-0, riding an 8-game win streak and is ranked #5, when a good portion of the fan base expected us to start 0-2.

So, you can accuse me of being very happy with the Hawkeye football team right now - guilty as charged.

Very good. I just remember how everyone was picking the Ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech to roll all over us. Made it that much more fun when we shut their cocky asses down......
Edited my reply to properly reflect Hawks as underdogs (+) not favorites (-).
It seems that Iowa being 5-7 point underdogs in bowl games is pretty standard.

thats-way-better-much-better.gif

So... On a National basis Iowa really doesn't get much love from the press. Even the articles that proport to be pro Iowa always contain phrases such as above average, to sometimes good or very good,
To make a comparison. An Iowa State team that won 75% of their games last year and lost to a FCS team came into this season ranked in the top 10. This team then barely beat another FCS team to open the current season and still was in the top 10. Keep in mind this team has less than a 400 winning percentage in the last 50 or so years, but they became the darling of the national sports writers .
Meanwhile a Team that won 75% of their games last year , cane into the season with a 6 game winning streak, has more interceptions than any team over the last 3 years, and has held teams to under 25 points for 22 straight games barely makes into the top 20. They then blow out a top 20 team in their opener and they are still rated behind Iowa State,
Iowa State has a good year in a crappy league during Covid and the press anoints them as the best team in the state and one of the top teams in the country.
Yup Iowa trulty has the respect of the nation. I call B.S.

Reactions: HFan1981
Yeah we’ll have to revisit this as the season progresses. Cincinnati is favored against Indiana in Bloomington this weekend.

QB’s vs the Hoosiers:
Idaho 63% completion
Petras 48%

Northern Iowa QB completed 61% against ISU.
Petras 52%

Now, I understand there have been a couple WR drops in each game but every QB deals with it throughout the season.

I know we kinda have a trifecta of issues (QB/OL/WR) and Petras should not shoulder all the blame, but, if we fielded a quarterback that could run (or even scramble)…..everything changes.

Hawks should be 3-0 come Saturday night, which will be awesome. As someone else mentioned, keep the foot on the gas if we manage to GET the foot on the gas 👍
Indiana's other opponent was Idaho.. you compare their QB with our QB...
which is fair, imo

however... that 63% completion percentage for Idaho's QB appears out of context.
so.. I was curious about this... I think normally this would be an interesting comparison...
but... consider this:

Idaho's QB first 4 attempts

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(14:41 - 1st) Mike Beaudry (Idaho's QB) pass complete to Hayden Hatten for 1 yd to the Idaho 26

2nd & 9 at IDHO 26
(14:13 - 1st) Mike Beaudry pass complete to Elisha Cummings for 1 yd to the Idaho 27

Idaho runs on 3rd down and punts

next possession Idaho runs on 1st down

2nd & 11 at IDHO 24
(3:40 - 1st) Mike Beaudry sacked by Micah McFadden for a loss of 11 yards to the Idaho 13
Mike Beaudry fumbled, recovered by Ind Weston Kramer , return for 0 yards

Idaho's 3rd possession

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(2:56 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Mekhi Stevenson

3rd & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:10 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Hayden Hatten

4th & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:02 - 1st) Javon Swinton 4 Yd Return of Blocked Punt (Charles Campbell Kick)

Touchdown Indiana... 21-0... game over.

Idaho's QB was 2-4 for 2 yards at this point.

Reactions: khael-hawk
Indiana's other opponent was Idaho.. you compare their QB with our QB...
which is fair, imo

however... that 63% completion percentage for Idaho's QB appears out of context.
so.. I was curious about this... I think normally this would be an interesting comparison...
but... consider this:

Idaho's QB first 4 attempts

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(14:41 - 1st) Mike Beaudry (Idaho's QB) pass complete to Hayden Hatten for 1 yd to the Idaho 26

2nd & 9 at IDHO 26
(14:13 - 1st) Mike Beaudry pass complete to Elisha Cummings for 1 yd to the Idaho 27

Idaho runs on 3rd down and punts

next possession Idaho runs on 1st down

2nd & 11 at IDHO 24
(3:40 - 1st) Mike Beaudry sacked by Micah McFadden for a loss of 11 yards to the Idaho 13
Mike Beaudry fumbled, recovered by Ind Weston Kramer , return for 0 yards

Idaho's 3rd possession

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(2:56 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Mekhi Stevenson

3rd & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:10 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Hayden Hatten

4th & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:02 - 1st) Javon Swinton 4 Yd Return of Blocked Punt (Charles Campbell Kick)

Touchdown Indiana... 21-0... game over.

Idaho's QB was 2-4 for 2 yards at this point.
What is it you’re trying to prove - that his 23/36 isn’t actually 23/36?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Luck component sounds great until you consider who leads the nation in interceptions the past few years.
Anyone with eyes saw that Iowa was the way better team than isu. Matt Campbell took his senior all conference qb out of the game because he knew the contest was over.

Reactions: F5n5
Great video.

Iowa is averaging the 5th fewest yards per game on offense?? I knew it was not going well but wow…..yuck. Nowhere to go but up.
The last two games we consistently started drives with a short field. That makes getting playmakers open in space difficult. Secondly, again for the last two games we went into do not lose mode early in the third quarter. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, three and out. This brings your average down very quickly. Opponents stacked the box. We have a tremendous kicking game and a stout defense, we played to our strengths. Look to the second quarter of the ISU game. That is what this Offense can be, and that is against one of the better defensive secondaries in the country. We will be fine.

“Down for down, Iowa State was better!”

No, they absolutely were not. I’m getting really irritated with these talking heads who don’t understand just how much Iowa goes into a shell up two scores. When Iowa’s offense NEEDS TO PRODUCE, it can. We scored right away against Indiana, then immediately on defense.

Both ISU and Iowa struggled out of the gate last weekend. Four punts, then a missed FG by Iowa, before ISU got on the board. Iowa’s next drive they moved the ball a BIT, then got their first interception. The next two Iowa drives, they went 120 yards in 18 plays and scored two TD’s.

Yes, the offense has to get better. But we did play a very good defensive team. The lion’s share of the second half was spent just trying to burn clock. There will come a game where the offense will HAVE to play with urgency, and I think it will look a bit different than what we’ve seen so far.
It really is a resume vs perceived quality. They ignore the fact that iowa's D is always good, that we dominate pts allowed and that we're a leading team with respect to interceptions. One of the four turnovers was luck. The other three were caused by Iowa. Not luck.

This team has a top 5 resume. We don't know if they're the 5th best yet, but we don't know that about any team and won't for 8 or more weeks. They ASSUME some teams are top 5 because they usually are, but that's better for some people than what's actually happened on the field!

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT