ADVERTISEMENT

“Iowa Football Is WAY BETTER Than Anyone Thought…”

So... On a National basis Iowa really doesn't get much love from the press. Even the articles that proport to be pro Iowa always contain phrases such as above average, to sometimes good or very good,
To make a comparison. An Iowa State team that won 75% of their games last year and lost to a FCS team came into this season ranked in the top 10. This team then barely beat another FCS team to open the current season and still was in the top 10. Keep in mind this team has less than a 400 winning percentage in the last 50 or so years, but they became the darling of the national sports writers .
Meanwhile a Team that won 75% of their games last year , cane into the season with a 6 game winning streak, has more interceptions than any team over the last 3 years, and has held teams to under 25 points for 22 straight games barely makes into the top 20. They then blow out a top 20 team in their opener and they are still rated behind Iowa State,
Iowa State has a good year in a crappy league during Covid and the press anoints them as the best team in the state and one of the top teams in the country.
Yup Iowa trulty has the respect of the nation. I call B.S.
I like to pile on ISU as much as anyone, but what FCS team did they lose to last year?

Get up big...play prevent offense to protect the lead...classic Kirk....results in lower yards/play.

Year after year...same thing. Not to be unexpected.

Will take these wins over barnbur

Reactions: F5n5
So... On a National basis Iowa really doesn't get much love from the press. Even the articles that proport to be pro Iowa always contain phrases such as above average, to sometimes good or very good,
To make a comparison. An Iowa State team that won 75% of their games last year and lost to a FCS team came into this season ranked in the top 10. This team then barely beat another FCS team to open the current season and still was in the top 10. Keep in mind this team has less than a 400 winning percentage in the last 50 or so years, but they became the darling of the national sports writers .
Meanwhile a Team that won 75% of their games last year , cane into the season with a 6 game winning streak, has more interceptions than any team over the last 3 years, and has held teams to under 25 points for 22 straight games barely makes into the top 20. They then blow out a top 20 team in their opener and they are still rated behind Iowa State,
Iowa State has a good year in a crappy league during Covid and the press anoints them as the best team in the state and one of the top teams in the country.

I said Iowa is respected and not overlooked, which I believe is true. They are not considered an elite program, because they aren't.

In simply comparing this years team to Iowa State, ISU was the fair-haired kid. They had almost their entire team back from an excellent team last year. This ISU team has garnered a lot of respect. Why shouldn't they be highly ranked?

Iowa, on the other hand, has new players all over the field, with an experienced QB that has not impressed anyone, yet they were still ranked at the beginning of the season. Now they are top 5.

Big picture, Iowa's football program is "respected" nationally - that's not the same thing as a week-to-week ranking. They have been given the "contender" badge. Now they need to actually win something.

I said Iowa is respected and not overlooked, which I believe is true. They are not considered an elite program, because they aren't.

In simply comparing this years team to Iowa State, ISU was the fair-haired kid. They had almost their entire team back from an excellent team last year. This ISU team has garnered a lot of respect. Why shouldn't they be highly ranked?

Iowa, on the other hand, has new players all over the field, with an experienced QB that has not impressed anyone, yet they were still ranked at the beginning of the season. Now they are top 5.

Big picture, Iowa's football program is "respected" nationally - that's not the same thing as a week-to-week ranking. They have been given the "contender" badge. Now they need to actually win something.

Excellent team? Not sure you can really say that. If you look at their resume, they lost 3 games, one a blowout loss to a sun belt team. They got invited to a NY6 bowl with a record that normally wouldn't get you that invite, they won vs a team with a horrible resume, they had multiple wins vs opponents with covid wracked teams....their "excellent team" was a paper tiger anointed by the media for some strange reason. Not sure, but the talking heads loved them last year and wanted to pencil them in as a playoff team.

They like to brag about their "round robin" scheduling, but what value is that in a conference with OK being the only good program these days? It's like the old B8....win one tough game, take care of business vs a bunch of crappy teams and voila....nice record and media love.

Luck component sounds great until you consider who leads the nation in interceptions the past few years.
Anyone with eyes saw that Iowa was the way better team than isu. Matt Campbell took his senior all conference qb out of the game because he knew the contest was over.

No. He was legitimately concerned that Purdy would be seriously injured. He had been taking a beating all day. Mauled again and again. He is too small to suffer that kind of punishment.

Campbell was trying to save his season

Yeah we’ll have to revisit this as the season progresses. Cincinnati is favored against Indiana in Bloomington this weekend.

QB’s vs the Hoosiers:
Idaho 63% completion
Petras 48%

Northern Iowa QB completed 61% against ISU.
Petras 52%

Now, I understand there have been a couple WR drops in each game but every QB deals with it throughout the season.

I know we kinda have a trifecta of issues (QB/OL/WR) and Petras should not shoulder all the blame, but, if we fielded a quarterback that could run (or even scramble)…..everything changes.

Hawks should be 3-0 come Saturday night, which will be awesome. As someone else mentioned, keep the foot on the gas if we manage to GET the foot on the gas 👍
So far ,Petras has been a disapointment based on expectations. This was the guy that broke Goff's HS records? Expected him to be very accurate and have great touch on his balls. I get we have lost players around him and have new starters. But expected him to improve and overcome those issues.

There have been years in the past especially under Fry that Iowa got press love and had big expectations of being a great team. Only the crap their pants and go on to have mediocre seasons. I want ISU to have a good season so Campbell gets poached by a big program and ISU is starting from scratch again.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
No. He was legitimately concerned that Purdy would be seriously injured. He had been taking a beating all day. Mauled again and again. He is too small to suffer that kind of punishment.

Campbell was trying to save his season
he is 6'1" 220lbs, hes not that small. This had more to do with mental damage than physical.

Get up big...play prevent offense to protect the lead...classic Kirk....results in lower yards/play.

Year after year...same thing. Not to be unexpected.

Will take these wins over barnbur
Right, But frustrations stem from exactly that.

Our consistency equates to 2nd or 3rd in the Division.

Woohoo for consistency I guess.

Right, But frustrations stem from exactly that.

Our consistency equates to 2nd or 3rd in the Division.

Woohoo for consistency I guess.
The only drawback to the Hawks having a special season is that I have to share the enjoyment and rewards with miserable fans like you...

From national pundits this year is like 2015. Yeah different excuses schedule vs. Offense. If Iowa is 10 hey look at that team on Iowa city they are tough. Break into the top 5 on no they can't break up the party. Here is why they suck. People wonder why fans across the spectrum are sick of the same teams.

Indiana's other opponent was Idaho.. you compare their QB with our QB...
which is fair, imo

however... that 63% completion percentage for Idaho's QB appears out of context.
so.. I was curious about this... I think normally this would be an interesting comparison...
but... consider this:

Idaho's QB first 4 attempts

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(14:41 - 1st) Mike Beaudry (Idaho's QB) pass complete to Hayden Hatten for 1 yd to the Idaho 26

2nd & 9 at IDHO 26
(14:13 - 1st) Mike Beaudry pass complete to Elisha Cummings for 1 yd to the Idaho 27

Idaho runs on 3rd down and punts

next possession Idaho runs on 1st down

2nd & 11 at IDHO 24
(3:40 - 1st) Mike Beaudry sacked by Micah McFadden for a loss of 11 yards to the Idaho 13
Mike Beaudry fumbled, recovered by Ind Weston Kramer , return for 0 yards

Idaho's 3rd possession

1st & 10 at IDHO 25
(2:56 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Mekhi Stevenson

3rd & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:10 - 1st) CJ Jordan pass incomplete to Hayden Hatten

4th & 11 at IDHO 24
(2:02 - 1st) Javon Swinton 4 Yd Return of Blocked Punt (Charles Campbell Kick)

Touchdown Indiana... 21-0... game over.

Idaho's QB was 2-4 for 2 yards at this point.
This kind of information should require a sub to get to.

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT