ADVERTISEMENT

“Monumental Gut Punch”

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
The Athletic reports Proctor’s decommitment as:

“...Immeasurable. Proctor was the highest-ranked recruit in state history. He grew up an Iowa fan and wore the same jersey number as former Iowa All-American and current Tampa Bay All-Pro tackle Tristan Wirfs. Proctor had visited Iowa dozens of times, and his commitment was a celebration of sorts. To lose a five-star, homegrown tackle within hours of signing day is a monumental gut punch.”

And as much as I agree, there’s no amount of 5* offensive linemen that are going to make up for the lack of:
1) A consistent mobile threat at QB
2) An alpha X receiver with the size, speed and agility to be fully respected on each down
3) A change in offensive philosophy that values complimentary football, but puts a premium on earning chunks plays by WRs

Iowa football is in a good place and will be fine without Kadyn Proctor. Media hyperbole is media hyperbole.
Define a good place and fine. With the efforts of Nebraska and Wisconsin's new coaches to supplement their rosters with an upgrade in talent, Iowa is not in a good place in regards to their other counter parts in the West. I am willing to see what transpires after the bowl game and this portal cycle but it doesn't look good. The WR corp is terrible, the O-Line is a weakness and with graduation and departures, the LB corp has serious holes too. Sure we added McNamara but unless they upgrade the OL, he's going to get killed. All is essentially a trade off with LaPorta, so its not looking good at this moment. We shall see going forward.

Define a good place and fine. With the efforts of Nebraska and Wisconsin's new coaches to supplement their rosters with an upgrade in talent, Iowa is not in a good place in regards to their other counter parts in the West. I am willing to see what transpires after the bowl game and this portal cycle but it doesn't look good. The WR corp is terrible, the O-Line is a weakness and with graduation and departures, the LB corp has serious holes too. Sure we added McNamara but unless they upgrade the OL, he's going to get killed. All is essentially a trade off with LaPorta, so its not looking good at this moment. We shall see going forward.

Offer a bet about next season. It's easy and requires no posting. Deal?

Losing Proctor is as much as a gut punch as when the Detroit Lions don't pick a player who I really want them to draft.

This isn't collegiate sports. It's semi-pro football and the faster people can realize this, the better they will feel.

I'm happy he's not going to Iowa. He is void of character and commitment. I had absolutely no problem with him going to Alabama. What I can't stand is Proctor stringing Iowa along and keeping a scholarship hostage. You don't want to come to Iowa? Great, then reopen your recruitment and renege on your verbal commitment. Iowa can move on and Proctor can go wherever the **** he wants.

Give KP a year or 2 and he might be back. Like it or not, Alabama is a different world than what KP is used to. Besides if he gets hurt, there is another 5 star to take his place. Alabama definitely has good competition for him. I wish him the best of luck

Would have loved to have him but if his head wasn't in it, it's best that he's not going to be in the locker room,.. Time to move on.

Reactions: iowaathletes
The Athletic reports Proctor’s decommitment as:

“...Immeasurable. Proctor was the highest-ranked recruit in state history. He grew up an Iowa fan and wore the same jersey number as former Iowa All-American and current Tampa Bay All-Pro tackle Tristan Wirfs. Proctor had visited Iowa dozens of times, and his commitment was a celebration of sorts. To lose a five-star, homegrown tackle within hours of signing day is a monumental gut punch.”

And as much as I agree, there’s no amount of 5* offensive linemen that are going to make up for the lack of:
1) A consistent mobile threat at QB
2) An alpha X receiver with the size, speed and agility to be fully respected on each down
3) A change in offensive philosophy that values complimentary football, but puts a premium on earning chunks plays by WRs
Obviously not a true Iowa fan at least not now.

I’m actually totally fine. Did not seem correct for either party after September/October and has been a given for the last month and a half. Hope we get to play Bama in the next four years!

I’m not really bothered either, this is a very good class , though again very Defense heavy in my mind, per usual!

Reactions: Section25
Give KP a year or 2 and he might be back. Like it or not, Alabama is a different world than what KP is used to. Besides if he gets hurt, there is another 5 star to take his place. Alabama definitely has good competition for him. I wish him the best of luck
What after he stabbed Iowa in the back once and can’t show commitment ?

This story is ready made and writes itself for these outlets that are all about churning content.
It's certainly not a good thing. But as much as he could have brought to the O, there's a lot more than one offensive tackle that needs fixing.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
His apparent comments during his "please come to my signing ceremony" speech was a load of crap. I don't know the kid, and don't pretend to, but someone doing what he did, saying what he's said, etc. says A LOT about his character.
I also love how he can dump on people making comments about what he did (which yes, some people have said really stupid things and are idiots), yet not recognize how he's handle it doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Yes, it's his choice and he should do what's best for him for certain, but if you expect to be treated with respect, might want to start with yourself.

KP said he didn't want to settle for coming to Iowa. Like it or not, that is where Iowa stands when it comes to big-time recruits. Especially on offense.
Makes sense. Especially when a certain head coach settled on his son, not once but twice as OC then QB coach. Talk about settling.

Reactions: Bro D
His apparent comments during his "please come to my signing ceremony" speech was a load of crap. I don't know the kid, and don't pretend to, but someone doing what he did, saying what he's said, etc. says A LOT about his character.
I also love how he can dump on people making comments about what he did (which yes, some people have said really stupid things and are idiots), yet not recognize how he's handle it doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

Yes, it's his choice and he should do what's best for him for certain, but if you expect to be treated with respect, might want to start with yourself.
Respect is earned, and he's done nothing to earn it at this point....

I feel badly that KP elected to go elsewhere. But the point is, despite the ‘gut punch’ there are other more pressing matters that need to be realized and corrected.
This is just my opinion, but our offensive struggles were largely due to issues with the offensive line and correcting poor line play is the highest priority for this program. Losing KP is a big loss no doubt about it. Let’s hope we see significant strides from our existing offensive lineman amd perhaps we can snatch a portal lineman that emerges between now and next season.

After the tweets and comments he’s made re the program he supposedly grew up dreaming to play for, I personally hope he fails miserably and realizes he should’ve honored his commitment. And if he does try to portal back some day I hope he is ignored, or at least asked to walk on …he could afford it.

KP said he didn't want to settle for coming to Iowa. Like it or not, that is where Iowa stands when it comes to big-time recruits. Especially on offense.
Ha! Easy smokescreen for a big bag of 100's from Bama, don't kid yourself. Not easy on either side however kids and families will say anything to deflect attention especially a 5 star kid like KP in state.

Let's get down to the real reason he left, sure he may say he didn't like the offense or direction or OC or whatever, then FIX it and be part of the solution! Don't tie up a ride for months on end, make 12 visits, recruit for Iowa and then with limited time hang your school out to dry.

Supposedly the in home w/him was bad and hmmm...imagine that! Iowa calls his bluff, probably isn't happy and the "vibe" he got at Bama...money, cough, cough, isn't the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT