ADVERTISEMENT

“The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement,”

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
Attorney General Jeff Sessions strayed from his prepared remarks to comment on the “Anglo-American” historical origins of the sheriff.

Sessions spoke Monday to a the National Sheriffs Association, which represents about 20,000 law enforcement officials across the U.S., but video recordings show an apparent improvisation from the prepared remarks distributed ahead of time to reporters, according to Splinter News.

“The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement,” Sessions said. “We must never erode this historic office.”

The remarks quickly raised eyebrows on social media, where commenters perceived the reference as racist in light of the attorney general’s racially problematic history.

The sheriff indeed originated in medieval England, and the name derives from Anglo-Saxon words for the guardian, or reeve, of a county, or shire.

English colonists brought the tradition to America and elected their own sheriffs in the 1600s, and various right-wing fringe movements promote the legal fallacy that county sheriffs are the highest law enforcement officers in the United States.https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/je...remarks-praise-anglo-saxon-heritage-sheriffs/

Have to say I don't have a problem with Goober's comments here.

Love those ears.

giphy.gif

A) Who is trying to "erode" this specfic system. (Examples please)
B) I thought law enforcement was a pillar of ALL americans and nor just the whites.

I think Goober was speaking specifically of the institution of the "sheriff" which hails from lilly white England.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions strayed from his prepared remarks to comment on the “Anglo-American” historical origins of the sheriff.

Sessions spoke Monday to a the National Sheriffs Association, which represents about 20,000 law enforcement officials across the U.S., but video recordings show an apparent improvisation from the prepared remarks distributed ahead of time to reporters, according to Splinter News.

“The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement,” Sessions said. “We must never erode this historic office.”

The remarks quickly raised eyebrows on social media, where commenters perceived the reference as racist in light of the attorney general’s racially problematic history.

The sheriff indeed originated in medieval England, and the name derives from Anglo-Saxon words for the guardian, or reeve, of a county, or shire.

English colonists brought the tradition to America and elected their own sheriffs in the 1600s, and various right-wing fringe movements promote the legal fallacy that county sheriffs are the highest law enforcement officers in the United States.https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/je...remarks-praise-anglo-saxon-heritage-sheriffs/
This is a giant non-story.

But you would think someone in this idiotic administration would be smart enough to stop dousing themselves in gasoline and asking for a light.

I wonder if Sessions has the same feelings for the Sherriff's who won't help him hunt down undocumented immigrants.

That was my first thought. If anybody is trying to "erode" the office of sheriff it would seem to be the Trump administration.

That was my first thought. If anybody is trying to "erode" the office of sheriff it would seem to be the Trump administration.

Conservatives love local government. Except when local government does something liberal. Then the fed or the state has to come in and set them straight.

But if they do something conservative and the fed or the state tries to put a stop to it. Suddenly they are screaming about government over-reach.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Where the hell else would the origin of the word come from, dumbass? Like no other societies have "henchmen" enforcing the laws of the ruler.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
So historically accurate and reflective of the group that built this country. It raises eyebrows on social media? Seems like those on social media should be eliminated.
… on the backs of slaves and treaties never intended to be honored.

Racism is very much in the DNA of what "built" this country, and it is very much in the DNA of Sessions (and these his latest comments).

Don't mean to burst your bubble, @gonegolfing, but myths are for mythologizing.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
I wonder if Sessions has the same feelings for the Sherriff's who won't help him hunt down undocumented immigrants.

This, this, this. Pretends to back law enforcement and yet attacks them, when they don’t bow down.

Also, this wasn’t about race, IMO. Both sides seem to be missing that, which is weird how both sides want it about race.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT