ADVERTISEMENT

“This is Not a Day Care. It’s a University!” : College President Writes Scathing Letter About Studen

obfuscating

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2016
The President of Oklahoma Wesleyan University gave a lecture to students they’ll never forget. Recently a student complained about a sermon that made him feel guilty and blamed the school for making students feel uncomfortable. This is not uncommon. Many universities now are so afraid of offending even one student, that political correctness has run amuck.

However, this University is based on religion and so one would expect that discipline, good character and personal accountability would be a big part of the curriculum.

Everett Piper, who is the President of the school, wrote a letter to the students admonishing them that playing the victim, blaming others and not admitting mistakes is not a way to live a productive and meaningful life. Here is the letter titled “This is Not a Day Care. It’s a University!”

This is Not a Day Care. It’s a University!

This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love. In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.

I’m not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic. Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims. Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

I have a message for this young man and all others who care to listen. That feeling of discomfort you have after listening to a sermon is called a conscience. An altar call is supposed to make you feel bad. It is supposed to make you feel guilty. The goal of many a good sermon is to get you to confess your sins—not coddle you in your selfishness. The primary objective of the Church and the Christian faith is your confession, not your self-actualization.

So here’s my advice:

If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place”, but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up.

This is not a day care. This is a university.

All you have to do is look around at the expensive phones, video games, clothes, computers and anything else high tech to see how spoiled kids are. Just because parents have the money to purchase anything their child’s heart desires, does not mean they should give it to them. A child may want to play with a sharp knife from the kitchen but despite their crying, you aren’t going to let them have it. You know they will hurt themselves.

All these expensive things they want may seem harmless now. But wait until they get older and want bigger and more expensive things. Things the parents can’t afford or will go into massive debt to buy. The child who has now grown into a young adult is befuddled that the world is not a receptacle for anything they want.

What some parents don’t understand is it’s not that the gift is wrong or bad (although sometimes it is), it’s the lesson of teaching them something valuable. That life is not always fair. You don’t always get what you want. And most of the time, you need to work for what you want.

Work in itself teaches us teamwork, verbal and written communication skills, being responsible, following rules and knowing how to behave in different environments. It also motivates us to purchase meaningful things like a car, insurance, a home, or raise a family.

Parents need to remember that they will not always be there to catch their children when they stumble and fall. It is great to be encouraging but they also need to learn to pick themselves up and keep going. However will a child find their dreams if there is always someone there to prevent them from learning the lessons.

http://uschronicle.com/not-day-care...N_w1OYesStSOs0xVOT3RvJyDceE3gogl_s1AWdggajfh0

Sounds like the student needs a greater understanding of the Christian faith.

Sounds like the president does too.

I have a hard time believing that many complaints are issues about sermons making them feel guilty. I don't doubt they get a lot of complaints but I'm guessing that one is a pretty new one.

So the university pastor needs to invite the student to sit down and discuss these things in private.

Remember that the Christian faith also says these things should be handled in private before they are taken to public admonishment.

I have a hard time believing that many complaints are issues about sermons making them feel guilty. I don't doubt they get a lot of complaints but I'm guessing that one is a pretty new one.

So the university pastor needs to invite the student to sit down and discuss these things in private.

Remember that the Christian faith also says these things should be handled in private before they are taken to public admonishment.

This paragraph pretty much sums up the Left populace in America:

Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic. Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims. Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic. Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims. Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”
Nailed it. Let's hope people that understand this start to step forward and express these facts.

People don't handle finger pointing very well today.

How do you even know the kid was a leftist? Any time Trump's feelings are hurt or is challenged he becomes a victim. Guy grew up in a rich family but constantly thinks he's a victim.

I don't think one should paint with such a broad brush. I wouldn't even use that brush to paint young people.

How do you even know the kid was a leftist? Any time Trump's feelings are hurt or is challenged he becomes a victim. Guy grew up in a rich family but constantly thinks he's a victim.

I don't think one should paint with such a broad brush. I wouldn't even use that brush to paint young people.

You don't see many if any Republicans crying about "you hurt my feelings" or take "Baby it's cold outside" off the air now do you? Being called the wrong gender is now a crime in California but transmitting aids is okie dokie.

Painting with a broad brush is commonplace now is it not, I wasn't aware there was any middle ground anymore...

I wish you could see yourself.

You don't see many if any Republicans crying about "you hurt my feelings" or take "Baby it's cold outside" off the air now do you? Being called the wrong gender is now a crime in California but transmitting aids is okie dokie.

Painting with a broad brush is commonplace now is it not, I wasn't aware there was any middle ground anymore...
I don't know how prevalent these issues actually are outside of media coverage. You'd think every encounter I have with a black guy would wind up in a fight because evidently nobody gets along today. My experience has been quite the opposite. People get crazy because of all the information they're inundated with, but I don't think it represents real life. Yes, there are a lot of little bitches out there (see POTUS), but in the end life isn't going to hand them their safe space before they get fired from their job so I suspect that things will come around.

No they just throw a fit if you say "Happy Holidays". Or if you make fun of their eye shadow. The POTUS himself constantly whines about how he's picked on by the media.

Give me a break. The R's might not get their feelings upset by the same things as the left. But they still get upset and victimized.

Only exception is the guy that lost his eye in the war. I'll give that guy credit for living up to his rhetoric of not being easily offended. But most right wingers are just as easily offended as the left, they just get offended about different stuff.

Reactions: Wendy79 and SSG T
I don't know how prevalent these issues actually are outside of media coverage. You'd think every encounter I have with a black guy would wind up in a fight because evidently nobody gets along today. My experience has been quite the opposite. People get crazy because of all the information they're inundated with, but I don't think it represents real life. Yes, there are a lot of little bitches out there (see POTUS), but in the end life isn't going to hand them their safe space before they get fired from their job so I suspect that things will come around.

Media always likes to focus on extremes and tell narratives.

No they just throw a fit if you say "Happy Holidays". Or if you make fun of their eye shadow. The POTUS himself constantly whines about how he's picked on by the media.

Give me a break. The R's might not get their feelings upset by the same things as the left. But they still get upset and victimized.

Only exception is the guy that lost his eye in the war. I'll give that guy credit for living up to his rhetoric of not being easily offended. But most right wingers are just as easily offended as the left, they just get offended about different stuff.
Sorry Hoosier, but this is just a complete load of S. While it is possible that you can find those that like to claim victimhood on both sides, it's a primary pillar of liberal belief. So no real comparison is there.

This. People please disconnect from all the partisan, self-reinforcing media. It's all designed to make you emotional so you keep coming back for more. It develops and maintains an identity framed mostly on a destructive enemy complex.

We've all become feelers rather than thinkers. And damn near everything is designed to reinforce and promote this. Our constant-contact gadgets and all their social media apps are designed around feelings. The like buttons, the heart clicks, the share tallies, it's all to create and sustain feelings-based appetites.

Of course our kids are narcissistic. Social media allows them to be the stars of their own reality shows. We created this, our generation. We adopted and promoted the behaviors ourselves without ever stopping to consider what we were doing—because it felt good.

Fortunately, in my work with young people and kids, I'm seeing a slow "disconnecting" with their devices and social media. I think some of it is their own instincts, some their parents efforts. Either way, it gives me hope.

IF we take the purely religious aspect out of this, it's right on target.
according to hoosier, no, cannot remove that part. I am not one to talk about what or whom is more Christian than the other. I never heard the one about "talking in private first". but maybe.

It's arguable that a great deal of the whole Trump phenomenon is rooted in a feeling of victimization. Global elites, urban elites, coastal elites, mainstream this, mainstream that, university indoctrination… decades of Right-wing media, AM-radio, FoxNews, etc telling everybody willing to listen, everybody who needed to feel that whatever it is they're facing is not their fault but is because of the Left, liberals, Obama, elites, mainstream media, indoctrination… and it continues, and people still consume it, even though I'm fairly certain we all, on some level, hate it.

It's so bad that when efforts by the Right to consolidate and sustain power are revealed—not just by the Left but by actual fvcking courts and rulings and shit—it's dismissed by the Right… because… victimhood. They're a victim of something "unfair" to them.

Sure, the Left plays the victim quite well. It sure seems to me the Right has taken it to a whole other level, though.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
according to hoosier, no, cannot remove that part. I am not one to talk about what or whom is more Christian than the other. I never heard the one about "talking in private first". but maybe.

I'm not either. But often the point of sermons is to try to push one into doing better. That may involve some amount of guilt. So who ever the student is, he needs to understand that.

On the other hand the bible does tell us a way of handling these things and the way starts at a private level and tries to resolve it there. It should have been resolved at the private level. Not used as some example where someone is trying to make a point.

I remember the "left's" whiny, self-absorbed rants about how Starbucks was waging a war on Christianity when it changed their paper coffee cups (despite still selling 'Christmas Blend').

Oh wait . . .

Reactions: Finance85
Sorry Hoosier, but this is just a complete load of S. While it is possible that you can find those that like to claim victimhood on both sides, it's a primary pillar of liberal belief. So no real comparison is there.
I love this. First you say it's a complete load of shit, then you express agreement with him in principle, then you revert to your gut, um, what's the word… oh yeah, feeling.

You are taking the stance that you, we, all of us are victim to Leftist victimhood.

Yes or no: Is the Left is trying to tell you how to live, how to behave, how to accept others, how to sacrifice for the greater good?

I remember the "left's" whiny, self-absorbed rants about how Starbucks was waging a war on Christianity when it changed their paper coffee cups (despite still selling 'Christmas Blend').

Oh wait . . .

It's not just the left. It's the way our culture is evolving overall.

Reactions: Rudolph
I'm not either. But often the point of sermons is to try to push one into doing better. That may involve some amount of guilt. So who ever the student is, he needs to understand that.

On the other hand the bible does tell us a way of handling these things and the way starts at a private level and tries to resolve it there. It should have been resolved at the private level. Not used as some example where someone is trying to make a point.
Can you get your religion to sermonize the living shit out of self-awareness for a while? Maybe with a subtext of thinking versus feeling? Objectivity versus subjectivity? I would show up for some of that shit.

War on Christianity. War on religion. War on xmas. War on white men. Tucker Carlson peddles victimhood amazingly well. The moment anybody starts to contextualize a valid argument, he cuts them off to maintain his (and his group's) position as victim of something, anything. The Right, to hold onto power, has mastered the art of victimhood and projection.

Any discussion of wealth redistribution is portrayed as victimizing the wealthy. Never mind that a lot of what drives the discussion serves the wealthy better long-term.

Any discussion of single-payer gets positioned by the Right as penalizing the haves in some way. That's victimhood bullshit.

Any discussion of evolving gun laws in any way is positioned as rights-infringement. Victimhood.

Any discussion of climate change is often portrayed as the Left telling people how to live, or even as some conspiracy against various energy industries. Victimhood.

The entire idea of university liberal/communist/socialist indoctrination is to instill feelings of fear and victimhood.

Voter fraud: false victimhood.

Immigration: overstated victimhood.

Globalization: in some ways actual victimhood.

Witch hunt: victimhood.

Last edited:
Reactions: SondyRules
War on Christianity. War on religion. War on xmas. All positioned to make a certain group the victim.

Any discussion of wealth redistribution is portrayed as victimizing the wealthy. Never mind that a lot of what drives the discussion serves the wealthy better long-term.

Any discussion of single-payer gets positioned by the Right as penalizing the haves in some way. That's victimhood bullshit.

Any discussion of evolving gun laws in any way is positioned as rights-infringement. Victimhood.

Any discussion of climate change is often portrayed as the Left telling people how to live, or even as some conspiracy against various energy industries. Victimhood.

The entire idea of university liberal/communist/socialist indoctrination is to instill feelings of fear and victimhood.

How could you forget those "sons-of-bi--ches" who refuse to stand during the playing of the National Anthem? How dare they?

Reactions: Rudolph
War on Christianity. War on religion. War on xmas. All positioned to make a certain group the victim.

Are you sane?

War on Christianity. War on religion. War on xmas. War on white men. Tucker Carlson peddles victimhood amazingly well. The moment anybody starts to contextualize a valid argument, he cuts them off to maintain his (and his group's) position as victim of something, anything. The Right, to hold onto power, has mastered the art of victimhood and projection.

maybe dems should stop victimizing all these poor folks then we would have less victims. live and let live. lighten up on the fellow man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT