ADVERTISEMENT

“Turning the furnace off”

JMNSHO

HR Heisman
Mar 11, 2010
This was a discussion at work today. “I turned the heat off last week,” my coworker declared, “how about you?” Another coworker chimed in, “Zach says after this week he’s turning ours off.” With muted bewilderment and bemusement, I offered, “I just leave it up to the thermostat, after awhile it rarely turns on. Once it gets hot enough outside to make it too hot inside, I switch it over to AC.”

One of my best friends acts like it’s some kind of semi irreversible process that once completed, cannot be undone until football season. His wife: “Ben turned the furnace off a week ago and it’s FREEZING in the house.” Me: “You guys have an LP furnace, just turn it back on for a few hours while he’s out, it doesn’t have a launch sequence.”

When it comes to gas or fuel oil forced air systems, I just don’t see the point, unless maybe there is a looming freak heat wave. Anyone here make a big deal out of turning off the furnace? I see it as a misguided brand of midwestern climate bravado.

I ran the heat 3-4 days this year when it got into the 30’s.

Just a random data point.
I forgot to add that the Florida posters could probably just stay out of this one:)

BTW, did you know that your namesake (who is awesome) married a gal from Iowa City?

Reactions: LesClaypool
I have a heat pump with a 95% efficient gas backup. I switch it to gas when it starts dipping to the teens in the fall and run that till this time of the year. I'll leave it off until it gets a bit too chilly in the house and kick on the heat pump to take the chill off. It could be on for a few hours or a few days. I'll do the same thing with the AC when it gets too warm.
I paid a good deal for an efficient system to stay comfortable. It would be kinda silly to not use it.

Mine has been off for weeks. I like to sleep in the cold so it is a bonus. I even had the bedroom window open most of the winter during nights. The sbgf zone heats the computer room.

Reactions: SHAWKER and JMNSHO
Going to a smart thermostat was a great idea because it will automatically switch back-and-forth between air and heat as needed.

Reactions: Gimmered
Had ours off for a couple weeks which was nice but came downstairs this morning and TBW was wearing a down parka and snow pants. I asked if she was going skiing she said "No just having my coffee watching the news" It was 62 in the house. Not like it was 32. Sheesh.

Reactions: SHAWKER
This was a discussion at work today. “I turned the heat off last week,” my coworker declared, “how about you?” Another coworker chimed in, “Zach says after this week he’s turning ours off.” With muted bewilderment and bemusement, I offered, “I just leave it up to the thermostat, after awhile it rarely turns on. Once it gets hot enough outside to make it too hot inside, I switch it over to AC.”

One of my best friends acts like it’s some kind of semi irreversible process that once completed, cannot be undone until football season. His wife: “Ben turned the furnace off a week ago and it’s FREEZING in the house.” Me: “You guys have an LP furnace, just turn it back on for a few hours while he’s out, it doesn’t have a launch sequence.”

When it comes to gas or fuel oil forced air systems, I just don’t see the point, unless maybe there is a looming freak heat wave. Anyone here make a big deal out of turning off the furnace? I see it as a misguided brand of midwestern climate bravado.

No, not a big deal. My thermostat has a switch with three settings, heat, off & cooling. It's not a monumental task or event.

The Nest app makes it simple from anywhere. I see that the Google home app now controls it too.

Might be aids, broski.
I wonder which posters mom gave it to me...
giphy.gif

turning it back on was the first thing I did after walking in the house. It's cold and I have a job so it's back on. There is no reason to freeze.

Reactions: Gimmered
One lasting sequelae of my wife surviving septic shock, coma, and intubation is her internal thermostat is like a boiler; she’s always warm. We keep the house quite cool, 62-64, sometimes it’ll get down to the upper 50s. No big deal to me; I have plenty of sweatshirts and like it cool. Our dog doesn’t like it cool due to a thyroid condition, but she likes to wear sweatshirts too.

Did have to upgrade our a/c though, but my wife’s alive. That’s what matters.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I keep the furnace turned up to 80 until it reaches 80 outside. At that point I turn the AC down to about 65.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT