ADVERTISEMENT

“You can call us wrong, but don’t call us weasels. We are not weasels.”

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Comey on Clinton email probe: 'Don't call us weasels'

The normally-stoic FBI chief grew emotional as he rejected claims that the FBI was in the tank for Clinton.

By JOSH GERSTEIN

FBI Director James Comey is passionately defending the integrity of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s private email setup, arguing that critics are unfair to suggest that agents were biased or succumbed to political pressure.

“You can call us wrong, but don’t call us weasels. We are not weasels,” Comey declared Wednesday at a House Judiciary Committee hearing. “We are honest people and … whether or not you agree with the result, this was done the way you want it to be done.”

The normally stoic FBI chief grew emotional and emphatic as he rejected claims from Republican lawmakers that the FBI was essentially in the tank for Clinton when it recommended that neither she nor any of her aides be prosecuted in connection with the presence of classified information on Clinton’s private email server. He acknowledged he has “no patience” for such allegations.

“I knew there were going to be all kinds of rocks thrown, but this organization and the people who did this are honest, independent people. We do not carry water for one side or the other. That’s hard for people to see because so much of our country, we see things through sides,” Comey said. “We are not on anybody’s side.”

It was at least Comey’s third appearance on Capitol Hill since the Clinton email probe was closed, but the FBI director’s assurances did not seem to satisfy House Republicans, who said the decision not to prosecute Clinton or her aides smacked of favoritism.

“I would be in big trouble, and I should be in big trouble, if I did something like that,” said Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.). “There seems to be different strokes for different folks. I think there’s a heavy hand coming from someplace else.”

Comey insisted there is no double standard, though he said there would be serious consequences — short of criminal prosecution — if FBI personnel handled classified information as Clinton and her aides did.

“Mary or Joe, if they did this in the FBI, would not be prosecuted,” the FBI director said. “They’d be in big trouble, but they would not be prosecuted. That wouldn’t be fair.”

Republicans suggested there were numerous potential targets of prosecution in the case and repeatedly questioned prosecutors’ decisions to grant forms of immunity to at least five people in connection with the probe.

“You cleaned the slate before you even knew. … You gave immunity to people that you were going to need to make a case if a case was to be made,” said Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas).

GOP lawmakers focused in particular on the Justice Department’s decision to give a form of immunity to Clinton lawyers Cheryl Mills and Heather Samuelson to obtain computers containing emails related to the case.

“Laptops don’t go to the Bureau of Prisons,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said. “The immunity was not for the laptop, it was for Cheryl Mills.”

The FBI director repeated an explanation he gave for the first time at a Senate hearing Tuesday, that the deal to get the laptops was wise because subpoenaing computers from an attorney would be complex and time consuming.

“Anytime you know you’re subpoenaing a laptop from a lawyer that involved a lawyer’s practice of law, you know you’re getting into a big megillah,” Comey said.

Republicans also questioned why Mills and Samuelson were allowed to attend Clinton’s July 2 interview at FBI headquarters as her attorneys, given that they had been interviewed as witnesses in the email probe.

“I don’t think there’s any reasonable prosecutor out there who would have allowed two immunized witnesses central to the prosecution and proving the case against her to sit in the room with the FBI interview of the subject of that investigation,” said Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas), a former U.S. attorney. He said those circumstances signaled that the decision not to prosecute Clinton was already made when she sat down for the interview.

“If colleagues of ours believe I am lying about when I made this decision, please urge them to contact me privately so we can have a conversation about this,” Comey said. “The decision was made after that because I didn’t know what was going to happen during the interview. She would maybe lie in the interview in a way we could prove.”

Comey also said it wasn’t the FBI’s role to dictate who could or couldn’t act as Clinton’s lawyers. “I would also urge you to tell me what tools we have as prosecutors and investigators to kick out of the interview someone that the subject says is their lawyer,” the FBI chief said, while acknowledging he’d never encountered such a situation before.

Ratcliffe said Clinton and the others should have been called to a grand jury, where no one is allowed to accompany the witness.

Comey did say there was no chance of charges against Mills or Samuelson by the time of the Clinton interview.

“We had already concluded we did not have a prosecutable case against Cheryl Mills or Heather Samuelson at that point. If we they were targets of our investigation, maybe we would have canceled the interview,” the FBI director said. ‘Frankly, our focus was on the subject. The subject at that point was Hillary Clinton.”

Despite the second-guessing from Republicans, Comey said he remained convinced that prosecution wasn’t even remotely appropriate given the facts.

“As painful as this is for people, this was not a close call,” he said. “This was done by pros in the right way.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/james-comey-not-weasels-clinton-email-228835#ixzz4LZtjs0IO

I like Comey. He takes a lot of heat and comes out cool as a cucumber. I believe he'd be a better candidate than either of the 2 we have. I'd gladly vote for him, only seeing his temperament and how thoughtful he is.

I like Comey. He takes a lot of heat and comes out cool as a cucumber. I believe he'd be a better candidate than either of the 2 we have. I'd gladly vote for him, only seeing his temperament and how thoughtful he is.

He's a weasel with no integrity or morals.

He's a weasel with no integrity or morals.
Because he didn't recommend indictment? I disagree with his recommendation not to indict, because I feel like he clearly said laws were broken. However, he's certainly much more learned on these matters than I am, and he's not said anything to make me feel he's anything but competent.

He gives me hope there are good civilian government administrators out there who truly care about their job.

Because he didn't recommend indictment? I disagree with his recommendation not to indict, because I feel like he clearly said laws were broken. However, he's certainly much more learned on these matters than I am, and he's not said anything to make me feel he's anything but competent.

He gives me hope there are good civilian government administrators out there who truly care about their job.

He said no reasonable prosecutor would bring this case.

You know why no one would bring such a case?

Because they're all weasels. That's why!

He said no reasonable prosecutor would bring this case.

You know why no one would bring such a case?

Because they're all weasels. That's why!

Wrong. Really hate to burst your hate bubble but NO laws were broken because intent is a required element. If mishandling intel was indictable, everyone who ever handled intel would be indicted. If you had posted a story from the NYT here about drone strikes you would be subject to indictment. That information was classified...even though it was on the front page of the Times.

Wrong. Really hate to burst your hate bubble but NO laws were broken because intent is a required element. If mishandling intel was indictable, everyone who ever handled intel would be indicted. If you had posted a story from the NYT here about drone strikes you would be subject to indictment. That information was classified...even though it was on the front page of the Times.

"Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations, like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent. Responsible decisions also consider the context of a person’s actions, and how similar situations have been handled in the past."

Wrong. One of the statutes Clinton was investigated for violating required only "gross negligence." Comey decided for himself that more was required. He's a hack.

18 U.S. Code § 793. . .
(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—​

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

"Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations, like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent. Responsible decisions also consider the context of a person’s actions, and how similar situations have been handled in the past."

Thanks for the confirmation. Now will you shut up about it?

Wrong. One of the statutes Clinton was investigated for violating required only "gross negligence." Comey decided for himself that more was required. He's a hack.

18 U.S. Code § 793. . .
(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—​

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

How do you define gross negligence? Clinton NOT using state.gov for her communications? How does that demonstrate "gross negligence"?

And how do you demonstrate these elements: "...permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust..."?

How do you define gross negligence? Clinton NOT using state.gov for her communications? How does that demonstrate "gross negligence"?

And how do you demonstrate these elements: "...permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust..."?

Assuming that Clinton's private server was not a "proper place of custody" for classified information under the statute, then if she knew classified info was being feed there - it's intentional. If she didn't know, I'd say she was at least negligent. I have no ideal what gross negligence is - I think it's a semi-meaningless legal term.

So, Patraeus had the intent to sell us out? That's why he has prosecuted? Really?

Assuming that Clinton's private server was not a "proper place of custody" for classified information under the statute, then if she knew classified info was being feed there - it's intentional. If she didn't know, I'd say she was at least negligent. I have no ideal what gross negligence is - I think it's a semi-meaningless legal term.

So assumptions, if's, opinions, and no idea's...yeah, obviously should have been prosecuted.

So, Patraeus had the intent to sell us out? That's why he has prosecuted? Really?

He intentionally removed classified information and intentionally shared it with someone he knew was unauthorized ...are you intentionally trying to conflate the two situations? 'Cause that would be dumb. Assuming lack of intent, you're just being careless.

Reactions: lucas80

-Setting up her own unsecured server
-Pretending not to know what classified markings look like
-Lying about the need to only have one device then saying she needs to have several devices
-Constantly lying about what she turned over or knew about
-Deleting 33,000 emails after being subpoenaed
-Smashing all devices with hammers after being subpoenaed
-Lying about emails being to her husband, after husband said he's only sent one email in his life ever
-Violating the agreement she signed with the State Department on the first day of the job

You know...gross negligence

Comey feels guilty. People give passionate responses when they feel guilty about things.

He intentionally removed classified information and intentionally shared it with someone he knew was unauthorized ...are you intentionally trying to conflate the two situations? 'Cause that would be dumb. Assuming lack of intent, you're just being careless.

Wait...you just pretended not to know what "gross negligence" was and now you're an expert on Patraeus' intentions?

Not to mention, she intentionally set up her own unsecured server and intentionally shared classified material and government business on it thousands of times. Her intent was no less than his in regards to doing what they weren't supposed to do.

-Lying about the need to only have one device then saying she needs to have several devices
-Lying about emails being to her husband, after husband said he's only sent one email in his life ever
-Violating the agreement she signed with the State Department on the first day of the job

Q: How many people have gone down for lying to federal investigators?

A: All of them who were not named, "Hillary Clinton."

Gross and Negligent...

Not to mention, she intentionally set up her own unsecured server and intentionally shared classified material and government business on it thousands of times. Her intent was no less than his in regards to doing what they weren't supposed to do.

So now I must assume you are intentionally conflating the two cases...which is really dumb.

Q: How many people have gone down for lying to federal investigators?

A: All of them who were not named, "Hillary Clinton."

A little off topic - but not by much. Trump needs to pardon Martha Stewart. You on board Tarheel?
martha-monogram-tree.png

A little off topic - but not by much. Trump needs to pardon Martha Stewart. You on board Tarheel?
martha-monogram-tree.png
She taught me how to make risotto. Trick is in the constant stirring. That's why the stuff you get at a restaurant isn't any good, they don't stand over the pan for an hour.

martha-monogram-tree.png

I wasn't aware that she intentionally mishandled classified information but Stewart is a national treasure. Totally on board.

So now I must assume you are intentionally conflating the two cases...which is really dumb.

No. I'm pointing out that you either don't know what the word "intent" means (along with gross negligence) or youre conveniently applying it to whomever you want.

He intentionally gave the information away to someone. She intentionally set up herself own unsecured server to bypass the state server. Neither of those things are wrong. And the word "intent" is used correctly in both. Sorry. You're defense of her sliminess isn't working.

No. I'm pointing out that you either don't know what the word "intent" means (along with gross negligence) or youre conveniently applying it to whomever you want.

He intentionally gave the information away to someone. She intentionally set up herself own unsecured server to bypass the state server. Neither of those things are wrong. And the word "intent" is used correctly in both. Sorry. You're defense of her sliminess isn't working.

*sigh* "Intentionally" setting up your own server (I'm not sure how you could do it unintentionally) doesn't equal intent to commit treason or espionage or whatever you're accusing today. It certainly doesn't equate to knowingly removing classified information with the intent of sharing it with your lover, no matter how many times you claim it does. That claim is simply dumb.

So is your problem with the fact that the server was "unsecured"? Oops. So is the state server. There is absolutely no material difference between her conducting business on her server versus conducting the exact same business through her state.gov account. Your accusations carry no weight. Try again.

*sigh* "Intentionally" setting up your own server (I'm not sure how you could do it unintentionally) doesn't equal intent to commit treason or espionage or whatever you're accusing today. It certainly doesn't equate to knowingly removing classified information with the intent of sharing it with your lover, no matter how many times you claim it does. That claim is simply dumb.

So is your problem with the fact that the server was "unsecured"? Oops. So is the state server. There is absolutely no material difference between her conducting business on her server versus conducting the exact same business through her state.gov account. Your accusations carry no weight. Try again.

Who said it did? You're saying Petraeus' intent was more egregious than hers. In fact you're saying she had no intent at all compared to him. I'm saying you're wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT