ADVERTISEMENT

0% CFB happens this year

• Thread starter anon_ts5cfra6drv7r
  • Start date
Walk me through what happened during the H1N1 Pandemic of 2009. I’ll help you out a bit. Virus emanated from Mexico - No Border Closing - No Travel Ban - No Social Distancing - No Masks - No Business Or School Closings (unless Business or School opted to do so on their own - No Sport Seasons terminated - No Testing - Worthless Vaccine - No attempt to shut the Nation Down. Do you not find that odd?

Trump wasn't the president then...that is your difference.

Well it needs to be decided if we are slowing this all down or trying to eliminate it. If we are not going to eliminate it, just open everything up, let everyone get it already and deal with the consequences of that. Otherwise, shut everything, EVERYTHING down for 3 weeks or a month and let's wipe it out already. IT's pretty obvious that whatever we've been doing hasn't worked.

I dont think there is a feasible way get rid of it so we might as well jump in and get back to normalcy. The sooner the better imo. Hopefully they have a vaccine by the first part of next year.

I'm dropping YouTube TV either way :)
Interesting you say that I see they added some more channels and raised the rate again
Anyone have sling, I might go back to it.
No sports to watch ,,,,doesn’t seem like a smart move by you tube tv

Nope. There will be a vaccine like the flu one developed that will help most people, but not all. I expect that will take a year. We are not going to be widespread open on things for a year at least a year though. Lots of things; restaurants, some college football programs, etc. will be going away for good in the meantime. I would be shocked if UNI still has a team going forward. They may go the Drake route, but the days of being able to justify a state subsidy are closing fast.
FCS will agree as a group to suspend play for a year if they need to.

Fcs makes no profit. Schools like Iowa have a bigger issue IMO. Football funds their entire athletic department. Lots of cuts need to be made when you are talking about $150 million gone. UNI budget is only $14 million.

schools like Coe Wartburg Central might have to totally close if this drags out a couple years. Some of these places have 40% or better of their student body playing a sport. Many wouldn’t go to those schools otherwise. These DIIIs were already suffering.

Last edited:
Well, COVID has killed like 10X the people
Swine flu - CDC estimated 59mm contracted it while there were 12k- 13k deaths. Covid has killed how many (200k) most of them elderly or those with underlying conditions. Swine was way more virulent but less deadly because it affected the younger age groups.

Well, they are not opening normally. Not at Iowa this fall, not at anywhere I know of.

There would be if someone would just order it so. And laws made to absolve institutions of liability for opening. I bet you dollars to donuts this is what is driving many of these businesses and institutions to play this as they have.

Reactions: CaboKP
Trump wasn't the president then...that is your difference.
Swine flu - CDC estimated 59mm contracted it while there were 12k- 13k deaths. Covid has killed how many (200k) most of them elderly or those with underlying conditions. Swine was way more virulent but less deadly because it affected the younger age groups.

Do you know why the younger age groups were affected more with H1N1? And older groups were spared, relatively?

Well it needs to be decided if we are slowing this all down or trying to eliminate it. If we are not going to eliminate it, just open everything up, let everyone get it already and deal with the consequences of that. Otherwise, shut everything, EVERYTHING down for 3 weeks or a month and let's wipe it out already. IT's pretty obvious that whatever we've been doing hasn't worked.
Can't even get people to wear a mask.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Do you know why the younger age groups were affected more with H1N1? And older groups were spared, relatively?
I think the most common theory is that the H1N1 virus has a lot of similarities to flu viruses from the early half of the 20th century. Basically older people had been exposed to similar viruses and thus had a better immune response.

Some people are pretty nonchalant with other people's lives. So everyone should just get CV and get it over with? I know people are frustrated but think about what you are saying. How many coaches and staff are you willing to sacrifice? How many players? Because I guarantee if everyone got it, we WILL lose some.

In addition, there's no way to know the extent of damage that with be done to a "recovered" CV patient. Will a premium athlete be able to function with his now lessened lung function? Will a coach be able to plan a game, not knowing who's quarantined? How many guys sitting out 14 days can a team tolerate and still be a team? I just don't see it happening.. maybe with some extreme precautions and no fans.

Well, COVID has killed like 10X the people
Half of covid deaths have been from 5 states that signed executive orders to put covid patients into nursing homes. That was hardly an accident. Next take the people that died from a heart attack, a car accident, etc that had covid. Guess what was listed as cause of death...you got it....covid. Why? You guessed it.... $$$$. Most facilities are paid 13 to 21k more financial support from the gov vs other deaths. If you want to hear the truth about testing let me know but I am extremely close to the medical industry and know hundreds of docs/nurses/administrators. The truth is a bunch more worrisome than what you hear on the nightly news.

I’m dumbfounded by your logic. So I’m going to sit this argument out.
after all the crying and crap that the players have been doing lately it may just be a good thing to shut it down. The whole sports thing has gotten to big and the money is insane. Just like the rioters tear it down and build it back on a smaller scale.

Reactions: Pete in LA
I think the most common theory is that the H1N1 virus has a lot of similarities to flu viruses from the early half of the 20th century. Basically older people had been exposed to similar viruses and thus had a better immune response.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Reactions: onionman1
Some people are pretty nonchalant with other people's lives. So everyone should just get CV and get it over with? I know people are frustrated but think about what you are saying. How many coaches and staff are you willing to sacrifice? How many players? Because I guarantee if everyone got it, we WILL lose some.

In addition, there's no way to know the extent of damage that with be done to a "recovered" CV patient. Will a premium athlete be able to function with his now lessened lung function? Will a coach be able to plan a game, not knowing who's quarantined? How many guys sitting out 14 days can a team tolerate and still be a team? I just don't see it happening.. maybe with some extreme precautions and no fans.

The error in your logic is this......Everyone is going to get it as things stand now. Well in truth, 60-70% are gonna get it. Then we will have herd immunity. So it won’t be 100% truthfully.

The only way your reasoning applies is if we have a vaccine forthcoming. Right now we don’t.

The error in your logic is this......Everyone is going to get it as things stand now. Well in truth, 60-70% are gonna get it. Then we will have herd immunity. So it won’t be 100% truthfully.

The only way your reasoning applies is if we have a vaccine forthcoming. Right now we don’t.
You know, SARS 1 went away with less than 60% of the population getting it. That took a lot of work from health officials in SE Asia. It is possible.

Reactions: haw-key
Lol so many random football fans in this thread (and others) thinking they know more than scientists. Just because you're bored doesn't mean we need to open up all the way. Wear masks, socially distance and we'll get better. There's a reason why Europe is doing significantly better than us, and don't give me some lame excuse like "we're testing more than them".

You know, SARS 1 went away with less than 60% of the population getting it. That took a lot of work from health officials in SE Asia. It is possible.
Part of the reason SARs 1 went away was because it was so deadly. Viruses that kill quickly have more difficulty spreading.

Part of the reason SARs 1 went away was because it was so deadly. Viruses that kill quickly have more difficulty spreading.
SARS was highly infectious (but not as infectious as COVID19) and without scientific intervention would have been much worse. SARS had much more pronounced symptoms. We all act like asymptomatic COVID19 is a good thing.

That's precisely what they are banking on, a breakthru vaccine or treatment. Stall for time, let the science catch up.

Would you like to fathom a guess on the infection rate and death toll if we took no action? I could forsee 1 million dead in a year. If there's no vaccine and 70% of the population will get it and death rate is around .5 to .7%? That's a large number, so we better hope there is a treatment.

And still.a matter of recovery.. side effects.. Immunity for how long? All questions we don't know.

Reactions: unIowa
That's precisely what they are banking on, a breakthru vaccine or treatment. Stall for time, let the science catch up.

Would you like to fathom a guess on the infection rate and death toll if we took no action? I could forsee 1 million dead in a year. If there's no vaccine and 70% of the population will get it and death rate is around .5 to .7%? That's a large number, so we better hope there is a treatment.

And still.a matter of recovery.. side effects.. Immunity for how long? All questions we don't know.

Oh I know all about it. Thus far we have had very minimal worldwide advances in therapeutics. And it has been 4 months. Remdesivir has been helpful some with limited availability and now dexamethasone but there has been no silver bullet. Yep this is a bad bug and if no vaccine or highly effective treatment is available the only hope is herd immunity. I mean do we continue to have a barely functioning society with an extended period of illnesses? Maybe but I sure hate to shut down life for all for conclusions that may be inevitable. And without a vaccine or great treatments on the horizon it kinda seems that way. I’ve been living and breathing COVID for the last 4 months and not much has been gained thus far. Sorry to say. I think we will get there. We have the smartest people in the world working on this but I’m just not sure that time is in our side as far as the economy etc. is concerned. I think a different approach is called for. But I could be wrong. I’m just providing my educated opinion. That’s all. Take or leave it. Many others have :).

There will be a look into scholarships and distribution. People act like there is limitless money in athletics and academics If this has shown us anything it’s that it’s a house of cards if not allowed to play.

FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT