ADVERTISEMENT

1 loss Ohio State or 2 loss Alabama?

IowaPackFan

HR Heisman
Dec 30, 2006
Who gets the nod to CFP if/when LSU, USC, TCU, Michigan loses? Do either have a shot regardless?

You forget, Bama plays in the SEC, "where it matters more", so they'd be in.

Moot point now, though, thankfully.

Michigan won't lose. So they are in.
USC wins, they in.
TCU wins, they in.
Georgia in win or lose. (SEC will have team in)

if either USC or TCU loses, OSU in
Have to agree with this unless the committee puts Bama ahead of fOSU, which I could see them doing.

Have to agree with this unless the committee puts Bama ahead of fOSU, which I could see them doing.
Alabama barely beat Texas and had to work hard to beat a bad A&M. Lost to Tenn who turns out isn’t great and LSU who just lost for a 3rd time. They aren’t getting in.

OSU just lost to an undefeated Michigan while missing some guys. If one of TCU or USC falls (especially if it’s not close) they’ll jump up into the CFP.

Phuque the ‘bucks and double phuque the Tide...neither deserve it. TOSU pissed down their leg (again) and ‘Baja has TWO damn losses! Neither has a chance to be their conference champions.
There are 4 other teams much more deserving this year.
I think the reborn power in college football might be in LA and joining the B10 soon. Not even the Tide and Nick Saban can compete with Hollywood AND Lincoln Riley year in and year out. The only thing that might interfere here is a sudden injection of academics....but So Cal has moved beyond this point by now.

Alabama barely beat Texas and had to work hard to beat a bad A&M. Lost to Tenn who turns out isn’t great and LSU who just lost for a 3rd time. They aren’t getting in.

OSU just lost to an undefeated Michigan while missing some guys. If one of TCU or USC falls (especially if it’s not close) they’ll jump up into the CFP.
I get that, but I am into conspiracy theories and mine is that the committee (and ESPN) want 2 SEC teams in if it is at all possible. Hence, fOSU "bad" loss outweighs Bama's 2 losses and Bama jumps them, and then probably to #3 just so they don't have to play Georgia in case TCU/USC lose.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
I get that, but I am into conspiracy theories and mine is that the committee (and ESPN) want 2 SEC teams in if it is at all possible. Hence, fOSU "bad" loss outweighs Bama's 2 losses and Bama jumps them, and then probably to #3 just so they don't have to play Georgia in case TCU/USC lose.
How can anyone justify two losses to teams that have lost several games each over a team that lost once to an undefeated team?

Phuque the ‘bucks and double phuque the Tide...neither deserve it. TOSU pissed down their leg (again) and ‘Baja has TWO damn losses! Neither has a chance to be their conference champions.
There are 4 other teams much more deserving this year.
I think the reborn power in college football might be in LA and joining the B10 soon. Not even the Tide and Nick Saban can compete with Hollywood AND Lincoln Riley year in and year out. The only thing that might interfere here is a sudden injection of academics....but So Cal has moved beyond this point by now.
I think Riley will head to the NFL

How can anyone justify two losses to teams that have lost several games each over a team that lost once to an undefeated team?
Easy. BIG sucks, UM vastly overrated, fOSU a fraud, SEC is the greatest conference ever loaded with supremely talented players, Bama had injured players, LSU schedule just LOADED as was Tenn's, etc, etc, etc. I can keep going if you'd like.😁

Reactions: billanole
Easy. BIG sucks, UM vastly overrated, fOSU a fraud, SEC is the greatest conference ever loaded with supremely talented players, Bama had injured players, LSU schedule just LOADED as was Tenn's, etc, etc, etc. I can keep going if you'd like.😁
Ok, how can anyone not drunk off the SEC kool aide say that. 😎

Piss on the SEC! Only 8 conf games. Plus, Vandy, Missouri, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M are poor teams. None of them would win the Big West or East.

If TCU and USC lose I could see Bama jumping in. I doubt the committee will see a 1 loss TCU as a better team than mighty Bama.

Plus, I bet $5 to win $500 that Bama would win it all last week, so I think they deserve to be in 😉

Last edited:
The SEC has one huge advantage over B10. Weather. No often to SEC teams play games on 30F temps and windy rainy/ snowy conditions. This also caries over to the play-offs. The current system is “stacked” against the B10. Big 10 schools recruit bigger slower players as the speed factor is greatly negated by late October/ November weather.

Who gets the nod to CFP if/when LSU, USC, TCU, Michigan loses? Do either have a shot regardless?
We shall see when the committee puts up the rankings if they even have a chance. My guess is OSU will be ranked higher and therefore would have a better shot than Bama since they both have played their last game. It would defy logic for both to not play a game and Bama to jump them. And even then they would likely need TCU and USC to both lose their conference championship games. I think Michigan and Georgia are in whether they win or lose. If TCU and USC both lose, then I think tOSU gets in and quite possibly Bama. If only one loses, then tOSU gets in.

Neither if you ask me, but given the question I'd go with OSU. No two loss team should go before a 1 loss team. Particularly a two loss team that didn't play anybody non-conference wise.

No two loss team should go before a 1 loss team.
I wouldn’t make that a standing rule because there are so many differences in schedules. But in this case I would take tOSU over Bama. Not only do they have just 1 loss compared to Bama’s 2, they also have more quality wins. The only team Bama beat that is currently ranked is #21 Texas. Ohio State beat Notre Dame and Penn State, both of whom are ranked higher than Texas. And they beat both of them by double digits.

I wouldn’t make that a standing rule because there are so many differences in schedules. But in this case I would take tOSU over Bama. Not only do they have just 1 loss compared to Bama’s 2, they also have more quality wins. The only team Bama beat that is currently ranked is #21 Texas. Ohio State beat Notre Dame and Penn State, both of whom are ranked higher than Texas. And they beat both of them by double digits.

Mississippi State crawled into the rankings at #25, but your point is still valid. Bama lost to the two best teams they played. OSU has more quality wins, and their loss certainly should be looked at as a “better” loss than either of Bama’s.

I would also add that the Michigan OSU game was way closer than the final score would indicate. OSU was down by 11 with 8 minutes left & had tot 1st & 10 at the UM 15. Got held to a fg that still made it a one score game, then gave up a couple of long TD runs in the last 6 minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ8869
Mississippi State crawled into the rankings at #25, but your point is still valid. Bama lost to the two best teams they played. OSU has more quality wins, and their loss certainly should be looked at as a “better” loss than either of Bama’s.

I would also add that the Michigan OSU game was way closer than the final score would indicate. OSU was down by 11 with 8 minutes left & had tot 1st & 10 at the UM 25. Got held to a fg that still made it a one score game, then gave up a couple of long TD runs in the last 6 minutes
I hadn’t even noticed that the Cowbells had made the rankings. Thank you for pointing that out. But yeah, Ohio State still has better quality wins. It’s also worth mentioning that Bama needed some pretty questionable officiating to squeak past Texas.

They dropped Ohio State to #5 and moved Alabama up to #6. Don’t be surprised if they put Alabama in over Ohio State if TCU, Michigan, or USC falls because “it was only one spot difference” and assuming Georgia wins that helps Bama’s resume. That and ESPN has a lot of pull.

They dropped Ohio State to #5 and moved Alabama up to #6. Don’t be surprised if they put Alabama in over Ohio State if TCU, Michigan, or USC falls because “it was only one spot difference” and assuming Georgia wins that helps Bama’s resume. That and ESPN has a lot of pull.

While it certainly would not surprise me if they were to put Bama in over OSU, in what way does a Georgia win help Bama's resume? They didn't play this year; if anything, a Dawg loss would seem to help Bama's resume more, since it makes Bama's loss to LSU a bit better.

Can't argue with any of this.

Reactions: B1GDeal
I too am of the belief that the committee wants nothing more than to put 2 SEC teams in, but Tennessee effed that dream up.

There’s a sliver of hope. I DO think TCU is going down this weekend. I don’t see Utah beating USC though.

I too am of the belief that the committee wants nothing more than to put 2 SEC teams in, but Tennessee effed that dream up.

There’s a sliver of hope. I DO think TCU is going down this weekend. I don’t see Utah beating USC though.
And just like that USC goes down. Bama has to be liking their chances of making the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT