ADVERTISEMENT

1 more thought on last night game

nitewing

HR MVP
Sep 19, 2017
this was their 3rd game against shall we say less challenging opponent. this could have been a game where they came in thinking that all they had to was just show up and win.

to me this was a good wake up call and gives Fran his coaches to use in practice the next couple days to show these kids the have to do more than just show up and sleepwalk thru a game,

they need to remember you have to play with your head out of Their arse.

Reactions: perryhawk
this was their 3rd game against shall we say less challenging opponent. this could have been a game where they came in thinking that all they had to was just show up and win.

to me this was a good wake up call and gives Fran his coaches to use in practice the next couple days to show these kids the have to do more than just show up and sleepwalk thru a game,

they need to remember you have to play with your head out of Their arse.

Game won't mean much one way or the other because Iowa won. It would have meant a lot had Iowa lost. Yes, teams don't come out with their best every game. But it is disconcerting that when you have just 30 games and the team supposedly has a big chip on its shoulder for being overlooked, that you then go out in one of those 30 opportunities and mail it in for the first 30 minutes. You shouldn't need a wake up call against a terrible team.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Game won't mean much one way or the other because Iowa won. It would have meant a lot had Iowa lost. Yes, teams don't come out with their best every game. But it is disconcerting that when you have just 30 games and the team supposedly has a big chip on its shoulder for being overlooked, that you then go out in one of those 30 opportunities and mail it in for the first 30 minutes. You shouldn't need a wake up call against a terrible team.
shit happens and last night SHIT Happened its time for the next game to see if they respond.

We were sloppy and out of it for most of the game and took an opponent's best shot and still won. Even though their crappy, I'm still happy we battled and played through it. Bumps along the way with this team are to be expected.

The game was exactly what the doctor ordered...win by 30+ and what is gained by that. We found a second gear from 2 freshmen that we didn't have last year. Grambling St is way better then the preseason prognosticators gave them credit for and they gave Iowa all they could handle and then some, last nights game will pay big dividends as the season unfolds....

Reactions: LuteHawk
It is encouraging that Kenpom lists Garza as the MVP for the first two games and Nunge as the MVP for the 3rd game.. Love these freshman!

The game was exactly what the doctor ordered...win by 30+ and what is gained by that. We found a second gear from 2 freshmen that we didn't have last year. Grambling St is way better then the preseason prognosticators gave them credit for and they gave Iowa all they could handle and then some, last nights game will pay big dividends as the season unfolds....

Why is that the case? I'm not saying it isn't, but they've played 2 games:

@ VCU and lost by 29
@ Iowa and lost by 11

I tend to agree with bojihawk's take -- we played poorly with low energy most of the game, while they played above their punching weight last night. I'm certainly not going to panic, but I'm still not convinced Grambling won't be one of the 20 worst teams in the country.

Personally--and it may just be me--but I will never understand how any athlete at any level can just go through the motions, no matter the opponent. Effort should never take a game off. Effort is how you become an outstanding defensive team. Effort is what sports is all about. So it's tremendously disappointing to see the Hawkeyes' lack of effort vs. Grambling. There are no excuses. Either you play hard ALL the time, or you don't. Plenty of chairs on the sideline for those who want to take the night off. Low energy is never acceptable. No coach can tolerate a lack of effort, and I hope that issue never comes up again in Iowa City.

@ VCU and lost by 29
@ Iowa and lost by 11

I tend to agree with bojihawk's take -- we played poorly with low energy most of the game, while they played above their punching weight last night. I'm certainly not going to panic, but I'm still not convinced Grambling won't be one of the 20 worst teams in the country.

Right now, I can name you 2 that will be lower...

True, but the Hawks have lost some of those games in the last couple of years, so hopefully this is progress.

Last night, the Hawkeyes were guilty of turnovers
that resulted in points for Grambling. We had
sloppy passes, lack of attention on defense, not
holding on to rebounds, etc. Yet, we were bailed
out by 2 freshmen in Garza and Nunge We have
to pay attention to the details in non-conf. games.
Otherwise, we will be unprepared for Big Ten
games.

@ VCU and lost by 29
@ Iowa and lost by 11

Impossible to compare those two games considering many of the guys that played against us were not eligible to play against VCU.

Impossible to compare those two games considering many of the guys that played against us were not eligible to play against VCU.

I know that was said on the broadcast as I heard it too but I'd suggest you and everyone else repeating this as a reason should pull up the VCU box score. I found every single player for Grambling in both games except one who played a total of 4 minutes against us. Most of the same guys logging heavy minutes did so in both games. VCU 94-65 over Grambling.

I think someone on the TV broadcast had their facts confused and think about it as they said something like 5 or 7 guys were held out against VCU? If that were the case they would have to grab some guys from their campus just to have enough bodies to play that game.

Reactions: DanL53
I know that was said on the broadcast as I heard it too but I'd suggest you and everyone else repeating this as a reason should pull up the VCU box score. I found every single player for Grambling in both games except one who played a total of 4 minutes against us. Most of the same guys logging heavy minutes did so in both games. VCU 94-65 over Grambling.

I think someone on the TV broadcast had their facts confused and think about it as they said something like 5 or 7 guys were held out against VCU? If that were the case they would have to grab some guys from their campus just to have enough bodies to play that game.

Thanks, yup, announcer was wrong. Had he said five of the top eight guys were new to their team this year he would have been right.

Thanks, yup, announcer was wrong. Had he said five of the top eight guys were new to their team this year he would have been right.

Yep I heard the same thing but he was wrong... someone gave him the wrong facts.

@ VCU and lost by 29
@ Iowa and lost by 11

Please, when you find a college team that plays on both ends, at 100% or better every game the entire season, let me know, I have yet to see one on any level, in my life time, play a perfect game on the defensive or offensive end....Iowa teams under coach Fran have almost always gotten better as the season rolls on and I have no doubt this team will improve and play at a higher level then last year....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT