ADVERTISEMENT

1 very basic solution: STOP being almost solely dependent on collar ties in neutral...

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Look, it isn't beating a dead horse to keep mentioning the obvious, when the obvious can and should be fixed. It's time to get rid of the, "I am not worried about their style, I am going to impose my own" mantra.

Guys with the length and enough athletic ability have found out how to block off the ties, force their Iowa opponents to keep over chasing to get to the ties and catch them flat footed. Much like RBY vs. DeSanto, Kerk has now found his formula for Cass. Either find a different way to basically come in low from a level change or a shot to get to the ties or FIND OUT how to wrestle from space. If not, just like DeSanto, I don't think he beats Kerk again...

As good as Iowa is, I just can't believe how BAD nearly EVERY guy on the team is in that 1 position. Do they not practice it? Or, do they just not have anyone in the room good enough to practice it to make a difference? It's been a glaring weakness for quite some time, but they have been able to mask it most of the time because only a few have been able to identify and exploit it. The problem is, it is getting more and more obvious.

Every top 5 guy with a decent attack from space should game plan for it against their Iowa opponent. It may not always work, but there is no better strategy than to try to minimize or even eliminate your opponents best position...

Look, it isn't beating a dead horse to keep mentioning the obvious, when the obvious can and should be fixed. It's time to get rid of the, "I am not worried about their style, I am going to impose my own" mantra.

Guys with the length and enough athletic ability have found out how to block off the ties, force their Iowa opponents to keep over chasing to get to the ties and catch them flat footed. Much like RBY vs. DeSanto, Kerk has now found his formula for Cass. Either find a different way to basically come in low from a level change or a shot to get to the ties or FIND OUT how to wrestle from space. If not, just like DeSanto, I don't think he beats Kerk again...

As good as Iowa is, I just can't believe how BAD nearly EVERY guy on the team is in that 1 position. Do they not practice it? Or, do they just not have anyone in the room good enough to practice it to make a difference? It's been a glaring weakness for quite some time, but they have been able to mask it most of the time because only a few have been able to identify and exploit it. The problem is, it is getting more and more obvious.

Every top 5 guy with a decent attack from space should game plan for it against their Iowa opponent. It may not always work, but there is no better strategy than to try to minimize or even eliminate your opponents best position...
Lee and kemdawg jump out at who are good from space.. I don’t disagree with you though

Lee and kemdawg jump out at who are good from space.. I don’t disagree with you though
Honestly, those 2 were just that good of wrestlers period. Too bad both were decimated by injuries. Lee is so transcendental that he ends up with 4 anyway, but I truly believe Michael would be an NCAA champ and a 3X Finalist without all the injuries….

You are not wrong imo. We also need to do a better job of strategizing against our opponent. Wrestling "your match your way" works against lesser opponents, but not against equal or better talent. PSU has figured this out and we either haven't or are not planning very well. I'm sure there is game planning going on, but it is either not enough or it isn't one of T n T's strengths. Either way, the F*n boys are winning the matches they should against us and winning almost every coin flip match against the Hawks as well. Until T n T change that narrative, we are not beating PSU for a team title. It really is that simple.

You are not wrong imo. We also need to do a better job of strategizing against our opponent. Wrestling "your match your way" works against lesser opponents, but not against equal or better talent. PSU has figured this out and we either haven't or are not planning very well. I'm sure there is game planning going on, but it is either not enough or it isn't one of T n T's strengths. Either way, the F*n boys are winning the matches they should against us and winning almost every coin flip match against the Hawks as well. Until T n T change that narrative, we are not beating PSU for a team title. It really is that simple.

I think one overlooked key to the PSU success is their shot defense. All of their stars and even the more standard guys are tough as hell to take down. IMO they work on perfecting this skill before fine tuning the offense. They have very specific, very practiced counters to people trying to score on them that become second nature. They don't get caught flat footed, they don't walk into shots and by having good defense to start they are almost always in matches, even against more talented opponents. Being in matches builds confidence, then the offense is expanded. Starocci was winning ugly defensive type matchups his first year, found the offense to get the job done and just adding offense since. Brooks kind of the same formula.

One other thing they have is proficiency at using whatever they can get away with to gain critical riding time in matches. They are not out there winging it. It's taught and practiced strategy whether it's the sit on the ankle stall ride or like Kerk grabbing the ankle last night.

Brands is always score, score , score get two your offenses but our team defense is very poor at times. We don't react well to people shooting on us.

I think one overlooked key to the PSU success is their shot defense. All of their stars and even the more standard guys are tough as hell to take down. IMO they work on perfecting this skill before fine tuning the offense. They have very specific, very practiced counters to people trying to score on them that become second nature. They don't get caught flat footed, they don't walk into shots and by having good defense to start they are almost always in matches, even against more talented opponents. Being in matches builds confidence, then the offense is expanded. Starocci was winning ugly defensive type matchups his first year, found the offense to get the job done and just adding offense since. Brooks kind of the same formula.

One other thing they have is proficiency at using whatever they can get away with to gain critical riding time in matches. They are not out there winging it. It's taught and practiced strategy whether it's the sit on the ankle stall ride or like Kerk grabbing the ankle last night.

Brands is always score, score , score get two your offenses but our team defense is very poor at times. We don't react well to people shooting on us.
Nice write up and spot on. Look at Starocci vs Kem and RBY vs AD as examples A and B.

Good stuff

Honestly, PSU kills us in recruiting, kills us in wrestler development, and kills us in mat strategy. Of those, I think mat strategy is the least of our problems. Cael has put a big distance between PSU and the rest of the wrestling world.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
Think stenghth and flexibility in unison with defense. I would be surprised if they implement yoga and tumbling. It makes for a stronger Dodgeball team as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Grip220 and el dub
Nice write up and spot on. Look at Starocci vs Kem and RBY vs AD as examples A and B.
Good defense leads to offense.

At least yinz are $@@!&@ Pitt fans! Had to cheers for a Reynolds wrestler who is shockingly allergic to offense

They are extremely well coached, refining an already extremely high level wrestler that has great offense is where they excel. Getting the riding time adv. is one thing, Something they are all taught and are extremely successful at is that knee pinch on top. It’s a big time stall ride and should have a 5 count like riding the ankle, Its basically the same thing.

Honestly, PSU kills us in recruiting, kills us in wrestler development, and kills us in mat strategy. Of those, I think mat strategy is the least of our problems. Cael has put a big distance between PSU and the rest of the wrestling world.
They win matches by making adjustments. (In general, we seem to try harder.)

Reactions: manatree
Cael teams is kind of off this Thanksgiving, Iowa is working, jeez know wonder the nits peak in March, because there not run into the ground in November

Reactions: artradley
Cael teams is kind of off this Thanksgiving, Iowa is working, jeez know wonder the nits peak in March, because there not run into the ground in November
You are putting your stupid on exhibit by claiming a dual with Penn vs psu not having a dual this week is the basis for peaking in March.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
You are putting your stupid on exhibit by claiming a dual with Penn vs psu not having a dual this week is the basis for peaking in March.
And that's before the grammar police have even weighed in on his post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT