ADVERTISEMENT

10 Hawks are Participating in NFL Pro Day (Monday March 21, 2022)

Linderbaum misses opportunity to impress scouts​

Former Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum, a projected first-round pick, did not participate in Iowa’s pro day, a team spokesman said.

Linderbaum also did not participate in the Senior Bowl or drills at the NFL Combine because of a mid-foot sprain suffered during Iowa’s loss in the Citrus Bowl.

While the All-American center returned for the final drive of the game, his recovery process has been an obstacle for draft preparations.

The Solon native can arrange his own workouts with NFL teams, but the lack of availability for the NFL Combine and Iowa’s pro day took away the two most convenient opportunities for scouts to see what he can do in the traditional pre-draft drills.

While media were not allowed in the event, team-released photos showed Linderbaum was the only prospect on Iowa’s initial 10-athlete participant list who could not compete in the event Monday.

Dilemma for combine participants​

Iowa’s two NFL Combine participants to also be at Monday’s pro day — running back Tyler Goodson and safety/linebacker Dane Belton — had what Goodson described as “a very difficult” decision going into Monday’s pro day.

Which events are worth redoing? Which ones are better to skip?

Goodson, for example, was tempted to do the vertical jump again. The running back had a 41-inch vertical jump while training, he said Monday, but only had a 36.5-inch vertical at the combine.

He opted against a pro-day attempt, though, to avoid the risk of “maybe going from 36.5 to 34” if his legs weren’t “feeling right.”

Neither Goodson nor Belton redid the 40-yard dash after both improving their draft stocks in Indianapolis with times in the low 4.4s.

Importance for non-combine athletes​

For the seven pro-day prospects who did not earn an invite to the NFL Combine, Monday’s pro day had added importance.

VanValkenburg said the pro-day festivities are important for “getting your foot in the door” with NFL teams although he also had the chance to meet with NFL teams at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

“I talked to quite a few scouts there,” VanValkenburg said. “I’m really glad I got to go there in lieu of the combine.”

But having members of 31 NFL front offices in Iowa City Monday allowed him to meet with more teams.

“I talked to a few teams here that I hadn’t talked to previously,” VanValkenburg said.

As for Koerner’s preparations in Florida for the 40-yard dash, it helped him finish in 4.51 seconds — a time on par with some NFL Combine invitees.

“Athleticism — and things like that — is some things I’ve heard that teams have knocks on me for, so I feel like I kind of put all those things to rest today,” Koerner said Monday.

Tyler got his Pro Day today.

Was this a one off type workout? Better late than never.

yep; he had his own work out.

This is a really good story on it:

Iowa Hawkeyes' Tyler Linderbaum impresses during Pro Day​

Josh Helmer
April 11, 2022 9:25 pm CT

Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum is widely projected to be a first-round selection in the 2022 NFL draft. Five different analysts from NFL.com, Touchdown Wire and Draft Wire had Linderbaum being selected in the first round by either the Baltimore Ravens or the Cincinnati Bengals.

Pro Football Focus’ Michael Renner had the Miami Dolphins taking Linderbaum in the first round, while USA TODAY Sports’ Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz predicted that the Dallas Cowboys would select Linderbaum with the No. 24 overall pick. A pair of CBS Sports writers also projected Linderbaum to land with a pair of NFC East teams in the first round.

It makes sense why teams are so high on Linderbaum. The 6-foot-3, 290 pound center was the highest-graded college player last season according to Pro Football Focus. He started each of Iowa’s 35 games over the past three seasons and Bleacher Report included Linderbaum among its most likely 2022 NFL draft picks to start week one next season.

Linderbaum didn’t participate in the 2022 NFL combine as he was still nursing a foot sprain that he suffered during Iowa’s 20-17 loss to Kentucky in the Vrbo Citrus Bowl. That was still the case when other Hawkeyes took part in Iowa’s Pro Day on March 21.

Linderbaum went ahead and had his Pro Day today. Here’s a look at the numbers he posted and how they stack up against other offensive linemen.

40 yard dash

Linderbaum clocked a time of 4.98 seconds in his 40-yard dash. Compared against 2022 NFL combine results, that time ranks 13th among offensive linemen and third among centers.

Bench Press

• 24 reps
Linderbaum managed 24 reps on the bench press which ranks tied-12th. That number is also tied-third among centers.

Vertical Jump

• 32.5″
Linderbaum jumped 32.5″ in the vertical jump which ranks tied for third among offensive lineman. It’s the best vertical jump from a center in this year’s draft class.

Broad Jump

• 9’2.5″
Linderbaum posted a 9’2.5″ in the broad jump which would rank tied-12th among offensive lineman and fifth among centers.

3 Cone

Linderbaum posted the best 3 cone time among all offensive linemen at 7.14 seconds. Northern Iowa offensive tackle Trevor Penning and Washington State offensive tackle Abraham Lucas both posted 3 cone times of 7.25 seconds.

20 yard shuttle

Linderbaum’s time of 4.38 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle ranked tops among all offensive linemen.

The 2022 NFL draft begins on Thursday, April 28.

ADVERTISEMENT