ADVERTISEMENT

100 years ago....George Mallory

ICWestfan

HB Legend
May 26, 2005
RIP in piece. 1924 they tried to Climb Mt Everest.
7998f1aa716cc948935413921e40b216a875b156e8c903328eeb547fa08c4016_1.jpg

If I had to bet, they did not summit. Then there's this from wiki:

"The discovery of the body revealed two pieces of circumstantial evidence that suggest that Mallory might possibly have reached the summit: firstly, Mallory's daughter always said that Mallory carried a photograph of his wife on his person with the intention of leaving it on the summit when he reached it,[501] and no such photograph was found on the body. Given the excellent state of preservation of the body and the artefacts recovered from it, the absence of the photograph suggest that he may have reached the summit and deposited it there. Secondly, Mallory's snow goggles were in his pocket, indicating that he died at night; that he and Irvine had made a push for the summit and were descending very late in the day. Given their known departure time and movements, had they not made the summit, it is unlikely that they would have still been out by nightfall."

"The discovery of the body revealed two pieces of circumstantial evidence that suggest that Mallory might possibly have reached the summit: firstly, Mallory's daughter always said that Mallory carried a photograph of his wife on his person with the intention of leaving it on the summit when he reached it,[501] and no such photograph was found on the body. Given the excellent state of preservation of the body and the artefacts recovered from it, the absence of the photograph suggest that he may have reached the summit and deposited it there. Secondly, Mallory's snow goggles were in his pocket, indicating that he died at night; that he and Irvine had made a push for the summit and were descending very late in the day. Given their known departure time and movements, had they not made the summit, it is unlikely that they would have still been out by nightfall."
Here is a link to an article I found. Pretty interesting stuff....

https://www.markhorrell.com/blog/20...-taught-me-about-george-mallorys-final-hours/

This is the most telling to me. No way, even if hypoxic, does he take those goggles off. Now, did he and Sandy make it all the way? Anybody's guess I suppose, but the fact that he put them in his pocket tells me they were out at night for sure. That camera is mountaineering gold if it's ever found.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT