ADVERTISEMENT

Yah, it's quite an achievement to win 4+ games a season in the conference. Do the math. Win 4 games a year for 22 years and you get 88. Add 12 more over those 22 years and you get 100. Color me not impressed. Mediocrity adds up if you get to do it long enough. How about comparing Big Ten titles KF has won compared to Woody and Bo?
Having an AD who refuses to fire you leads to extraordinary longevity which leads to 100. So what?

Yah, it's quite an achievement to win 4+ games a season in the conference. Do the math. Win 4 games a year for 22 years and you get 88. Add 12 more over those 22 years and you get 100. Color me not impressed. Mediocrity adds up if you get to do it long enough. How about comparing Big Ten titles KF has won compared to Woody and Bo?
Having an AD who refuses to fire you leads to extraordinary longevity which leads to 100. So what?
What a surprise ! aristotleiowa isn't impressed. I highly doubt Bo or Woody could have won this many games at Iowa. Hell, I have no coaching experience and I'm confident I could win big at Ohio State or Michigan. it takes a great coach to have the success that Kirk and Hayden did at Iowa . GO HAWKS !

Any post comparing coaching at Iowa vs coaching at osu/mi is a post full of ignorance and stupidity.

Oh. My. God. You are so pathetic.

Btw, take out years 1 and 2 which is reasonable and you'll have 20 years and approx 5 per year.
Thats a record around 5-3.4 per year in conf. Pretty respectable.

Having an AD who refuses to fire you leads to extraordinary longevity which leads to 100. So what?KF has now attained 100 Big 10 Conference wins...not including non-conference wins.

Iowa with Kirk Ferentz > your version of Iowa

P.S. Play ball.

Please go find a different team.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
without commentary. here’s a post verbatim by a psu fan on bwi:

“Well we tried the slick talking charismatic recruiting CEO type. They need to hire an old fashioned fundamental meat and potatoes football coach. Dare I say a Kirk Ferentz or Paul Chryst type. I don’t care if If they only recruit 2 or 3 star kids as long as they develop them over time and they actually get better and play tough, consistent, disciplined football.”

There are fans of Illinois and about 3 other Big 10 schools that would give body parts for a coach that could win 4 conference games a year. It's not as easy as you seem to think. Doubly so at Iowa.

Just so you're aware, absolutely no one takes you seriously or values your opinion. Wanted to make sure you knew.

Love Kirk, can we name other Big10 coaches that averaged 4.5 wins a year?

Hey wise man, how many BIG titles was ANYONE else winning when Woody and Bo won those titles? You think maybe theres a reason they called it the Big 2 and the little 8?? Then came a guy named Hayden Fry and he helped to usher in a new era in BIG football where other teams learned to compete! Not win it all the time, but at least put themselves in the hunt. Since Fry changed the way that BIG football was played Pretty much all the old BIG teams have won at least one title. That would never have happened before, and KF has won more and had bigger high point seasons then coach Fry. You go back and do the math........

Last edited:

You are one miserable human being. What do you do for a living and how successful are you compared to Kirk Ferentz?

KF’s record at Iowa season by season with conference wins breakout:

8 conference games, 4 non con:
Year one: 1 win, 0 conference wins
Year two 3 wins, 3 conference wins
Year three: 7 wins, 4 conference wins
Year four: 11 wins, 8 conference wins
Year five: 10 wins, 5 conference wins
Year six: 10 wins, 7 conference wins
Year seven: 7 wins, 5 conference wins
Year eight: 6 wins, 2 conference wins
Year nine: 6 wins, 4 conference wins
Year ten: 9 wins, 5 conference wins
Year eleven: 11 wins, 6 conference wins
Year twelve: 8 wins, 4 conference wins
Year thirteen: 8 wins, 4 conference wins
Year fourteen: 4 wins, 2 conference wins
Year fifteen: 8 wins, 5 conference wins
Year sixteen: 7 wins, 4 conference wins
Year seventeen: 12 wins, 8 conference wins
9 conference games, 3 non con
Year eighteen: 8 wins, 6 conference wins
Year nineteen: 8 wins, 4 conference wins
Year twenty: 9 wins, 5 conference wins
Year twenty-one: 10 wins, 6 conference wins
Year twenty-two: 3 wins, 3 conference we’d

Playing in the B1G is hard with quality opponents each week regardless of record. It’s a meat grinder of a conference won on the line of scrimmage more than not. It’s not some gimmicky offense or crap defensive league like the B12.

Enjoy what Ferentz has been able to do at Iowa compared to the rest of the league minus tOSU

Thanks Richard!!

Why you using 22 FULL years for your math? Compare to Woody and Bo. LOL How bout next longest tenured coach in the B1G Pat Fitzgerald. A pretty well respected coach who most would agree has done a good job at Northwestern is not on pace with KF.

271 Total Games Coach as Big Ten Head Coach
- 3 2020 Season
-18 Bowl Games & Championship Game

165 Total Victories
- 9 Bowl Victories
- 3 2020 victories

100 Big Ten Victories
- 3 2020 Victories

97 Total Victories (4.62 Big Ten victories per year)

153 Total Victories in 21 Seasons (7.29 Games per Year)

251 Regular Season Games in 21 seasons (11.95 per year)

Average Season thru 2019 = 7.29 - 11.95, 4.62 big ten wins per year.

If you take take the first two years out of the calculation, rebuilding the depleted Hawkeyes from Hayden's departure (4 - 19)

You find....

153 - 4 = 149
251 - 19 = 232

149/232 = 64%

149/19 = 7.9 Victories per year ( 7.84 - 12.21 games per year)

These statistics paint a truer picture, and support the belief of everyone who matters in College Football, that KF is an exceptional coach. We have been lucky to have him these last 22 years.

Enough said.

Last edited:

Woody and Bo got most of their wins during the era of the Big 2 and the little 8. Very win to win a lot of games when you have only one tough per year. Wake up.

Reactions: BCRoss89
Iowa is one of the toughest P5 jobs in the country. We face so many disadvantages. If anyone can win in Iowa how did we have 20 consecutive losing seasons?
Agreed.

It is widely known that Joe Pa rbelieved Kirk to be the best coach in the Big Ten, getting more out of his recruited talent than any other coach in the league.

Iowa is a "development" team in a division made up of other "development" teams, among the Big Ten leaders in developing solid NFLcaliber players.

What Kirk does (along with his staff), works better for Iowa against most of teams in West and several in the East. Iowa always end up being better team at the end of the year then when they started. You don't want to play the Hawks in late November or December. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Reactions: OKCRockHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT