ADVERTISEMENT

#1000pages FSU Third Natty (Women’s Soccer 2021 & 2023, and Cheerleading 2023 achieved)

FSUTribe76

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2008
Possibly by the end of the week. We’ve reached an agreement with a candidate and the final contract is being drawn up as we speak. It should be signed either by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one. There’s still some things that might pop up that could scuttle it, but I’d say it’s about 95-99% likely based on the inside scoop I’m hearing.

I was “sworn to secrecy” about who it is but I can say 90-95% of the fans will be happy with the switch. The remainder will be only those few who still loved Taggart, those who want O’Dell to take over a top flight position (as this signing will prove) without real experience as a HC and the NFL geeks who wanted Sanders with no real HC experience. The only hints I’ll add is that if it goes through as expected no one can say FSU is being cheap and some broadcast media are going to look foolish.

I was told that while the official final contract is being drawn up and reviewed, we will continue interviewing candidates just in case something goes wrong last minute so we’re not stuck with Norvell or Mark Stoops and that those meetings may be leaked not to add pressure to the one we’re waiting on a signed contract with but to show due diligence to the fan base and media.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NoleATL and DFSNOLE
Everything I said could 100% apply to Bob Stoops, PJ Fleck and James Franklin. So it’s one of those and I won’t stoop to giving any other hints, okay?
giphy.gif

But PJ Fleck isn’t out of the running. I’ve heard he interviewed well and my source actually wants him rather than Franklin or Stoops. But while my source has pull he is not the deciding factor, so Fleck is option 3 at the moment.

Btw, this isn’t my opinion. I actually like Matt Campbell personally due to his repeated success in the smallest or second smallest fish in a Big Boy conference. Going head to head against Texas and Oklahoma oil money with only the second best Iowa corn money and actually managing to beat them is pretty impressive. Campbell took a program that in its 127 year history only had 8 years with more than 8 wins to back to back 8 win season and he might replicate that again. Prior to Campbell taking over Iowa State had 6 straight losing seasons, only 5 seasons above 500 over the previous 45 years and whose previous three seasons before he took over was 3-9, 2-10 & 3-9, and after only one 3-9 season had Iowa State with back to back 8 win seasons.

You missed something. You’re fired from the Warchant Refugee Investigative Team.

But PJ Fleck isn’t out of the running. I’ve heard he interviewed well and my source actually wants him rather than Franklin or Stoops. But while my source has pull he is not the deciding factor, so Fleck is option 3 at the moment.

Btw, this isn’t my opinion. I actually like Matt Campbell personally due to his repeated success in the smallest or second smallest fish in a Big Boy conference. Going head to head against Texas and Oklahoma oil money with only the second best Iowa corn money and actually managing to beat them is pretty impressive. Campbell took a program that in its 127 year history only had 8 years with more than 8 wins to back to back 8 win season and he might replicate that again. Prior to Campbell taking over Iowa State had 6 straight losing seasons, only 5 seasons above 500 over the previous 45 years and whose previous three seasons before he took over was 3-9, 2-10 & 3-9, and after only one 3-9 season had Iowa State with back to back 8 win seasons.

You missed something. You’re fired from the Warchant Refugee Investigative Team.
giphy.gif

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Everything I said could 100% apply to Bob Stoops, PJ Fleck and James Franklin. So it’s one of those and I won’t stoop to giving any other hints, okay?

Tribe went from three to two in a matter of minutes. I give him until 10 AM this morning to narrow it down to one.

Honestly, Fleck would be my choice out of those three, but I'll be happy with any of them.

That said, I can't imagine he would make a move while still in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Honestly, Fleck would be my choice out of those three, but I'll be happy with any of them.

That said, I can't imagine he would make a move while still in the thick of the playoff hunt.

My personal preference of the candidates that I’m aware of would be:

1) Matt Campbell - has done a lot in a bigtime football league with very little money relatively speaking, literally zero football history/prestige and a terrible recruiting footprint. Just imagine someone who can turn around a periennial 3 win school and make it an 8 win school and what they would do with at a school with 3 Natties in the modern era, the best football footprint and in an easier overall league (at least at the moment).
2) PJ Fleck - He has the recency bias over Campbell as Minnesota is having a better record this year than ISU, but Minnesota is in an easier position to win (Big Ten West is substantially easier than the Big 12 as a whole as most of the good Big Ten teams are in the East) and has 7 Natties albeit the most recent one was in 1960. But Minnesota is a big step up from Iowa State in terms of resources and football history. What scares me about Fleck is that he’s only had two good seasons out of seven as head coach (a 13-1 season with Western Michigan and the current one).
3) Bob Stoops - by far the most established coach and one of the few who would be active with a title in their history (6 if he comes back, the other 5 are Saban, Dabo, the traitor JimmyJamesJoeBob, Les Miles and Mack Brown). But is his heart really in it and how much has he lost?
4) James Franklin - While I think 1-3 could win a title, to me Franklin has proven he can’t at Ped State. And FSU is only a slight improvement or a wash with Ped State as FSU has an easier path even with Clemson on the same side, has more recent success and a better recruiting footprint but Ped State has more money from the Big Ten and a bigger and more rabid fanbase to buy off recruits who can be bought. And he hasn’t managed to win the big games there.

Now all 4 of those are guaranteed upgrades over Odell and the current coordinators. I just think 1-3 can get you a title while 4 will just get us a lot of 10 win seasons which is no biggie at FSU. The other candidates: Mark Stoops, Mike Norvell, Mike Leach, Jeff Scott Etc don’t really seem like much of an upgrade.

I’ll believe we have a coach when they introduce him at a press conference. I don’t mean this as a slight to Tribe, it is simply so many rumors about BGB out there that keep changing.

From day one it seems too good to be true and I have worried near the end when it was time to sign, he would walk away. Hope it happens!!!

Bob Stoops is the only upgrade here. Fleck is having a good season and is the flavor of the month. No thanks, our players aren't buying in. Franklin would not come just by the way Willie was treated by our fan base from day 1. I know nothing about Campbell but he sounds intriguing until he goes 7-5 next year, and the year after and the year after. Mark Stoops would be my third choice after Odell...

Please do not discuss topics or rumors we would like to discuss on the Tribal Council. It is important that we reserve these topics for paying customers to justify the exorbitant monthly fees we charge for breaking news that 90% of the public is already talking about. You are hereby banned indefinitely and your username shall be forever stricken from our rolls and may God have mercy on your soul.

All that said, all would be forgiven if you want to subscribe for the current one-time special price of $14.95 per month. Your call.

Sincerely,
The Warchant Moderator Team

Bob Stoops is the only upgrade here. Fleck is having a good season and is the flavor of the month. No thanks, our players aren't buying in. Franklin would not come just by the way Willie was treated by our fan base from day 1. I know nothing about Campbell but he sounds intriguing until he goes 7-5 next year, and the year after and the year after. Mark Stoops would be my third choice after Odell...

The Franklin thing is interesting. There is enough smoke there that tells me he is very interested in the job. It seems odd with him at Penn State and having success that he is interested in a lateral move to do a rebuild at FSU. Only thing I could think is something there has pissed him off.

Either of the Stoops would be fine with me (as long as Bob would really commit to at least 5 years). I like Odell, as well.

The playoff hunt ends Saturday night for Fleck.

Reactions: noleclone2
Possibly by the end of the week. We’ve reached an agreement with a candidate and the final contract is being drawn up as we speak. It should be signed either by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one. There’s still some things that might pop up that could scuttle it, but I’d say it’s about 95-99% likely based on the inside scoop I’m hearing.

I was “sworn to secrecy” about who it is but I can say 90-95% of the fans will be happy with the switch. The remainder will be only those few who still loved Taggart, those who want O’Dell to take over a top flight position (as this signing will prove) without real experience as a HC and the NFL geeks who wanted Sanders with no real HC experience. The only hints I’ll add is that if it goes through as expected no one can say FSU is being cheap and some broadcast media are going to look foolish.

I was told that while the official final contract is being drawn up and reviewed, we will continue interviewing candidates just in case something goes wrong last minute so we’re not stuck with Norvell or Mark Stoops and that those meetings may be leaked not to add pressure to the one we’re waiting on a signed contract with but to show due diligence to the fan base and media.
WGAF?

Yeah that's fine. The only name of those that would make me happy is Bob Stoops. Fleck to me like many others would be a coin flip hire. He might be good, but could very well be average as would probably every other possible hire outside of Bob. Would take the let's see some results before I say good or bad.

Franklin probably helped try to cover up a rape when he was at Vandy, so wouldn't be too happy with that hire.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Stoops is 59 ... Is he really the answer? Or is he considered more of a transition coach? I love Stoops since his playing days at Iowa ... My numero uno choice would be James Franklin. Some fans don't like him but the guy can recruit and coach. I had a negative feel about him. Watched an HBO (Hard Knocks-type behind-the-scenes show) and my opinion about Franklin changed. I think he relates well to his players. People knock on Fleck as well and both may be personal PR machines ... but both can coach. Stoops is on the tail end of his career ...

If Gene is denying it, you know it must be true.

I've got no use for Gene.

There are only about 5 people in the loop and none of them are talking. They are too smart to have some message board poster to possibly screw up the deal.

I've got no use for Gene.

There are only about 5 people in the loop and none of them are talking. They are too smart to have some message board poster to possibly screw up the deal.

1) That’s not going to happen. Someone asked for the moon and we said sure. It’s now up to him to decide if he was serious or just infogathering.

2) There’s a LOT more people than that involved. To make a hire of this magnitude you’ve got 1) the search committee, 2) the athletic department, 3) assistant coaches who also need to be brought in or it doesn’t happen, 4) boosters who bring in the $$$, 5) attorneys who prepare the docs, 6) school execs and board members who have to sign off on it, 7) accountants and finance guys to make sure the money adds up, 8) insurance and risk managers plus investigators doing due diligence and 9) others. And that’s just on our side. Don’t think for an instant it’s just Thrasher who knows.

1) That’s not going to happen. Someone asked for the moon and we said sure. It’s now up to him to decide if he was serious or just infogathering.

2) There’s a LOT more people than that involved. To make a hire of this magnitude you’ve got 1) the search committee, 2) the athletic department, 3) assistant coaches who also need to be brought in or it doesn’t happen, 4) boosters who bring in the $$$, 5) attorneys who prepare the docs, 6) school execs and board members who have to sign off on it, 7) accountants and finance guys to make sure the money adds up, 8) insurance and risk managers plus investigators doing due diligence and 9) others. And that’s just on our side. Don’t think for an instant it’s just Thrasher who knows.

LOL. All of those things do, indeed, have to happen. But they haven't happened yet, and won't happen until it's time. You are a sucker if you believe what you posted based on your source.

LOL. All of those things do, indeed, have to happen. But they haven't happened yet, and won't happen until it's time. You are a sucker if you believe what you posted based on your source.

It’s all the way to the attorneys finalizing the final draft for signatures. If you’d rather believe sportswriters who get lied to on purpose than me that’s your perogative. But that’s where we sit at the moment.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
I don't listen to sportswriters.

Your sources probably said Stoops would be signed last Tuesday. Heck, that's what many booster groups were told. Didn't happen.

Please do not discuss topics or rumors we would like to discuss on the Tribal Council. It is important that we reserve these topics for paying customers to justify the exorbitant monthly fees we charge for breaking news that 90% of the public is already talking about. You are hereby banned indefinitely and your username shall be forever stricken from our rolls and may God have mercy on your soul.

All that said, all would be forgiven if you want to subscribe for the current one-time special price of $14.95 per month. Your call.

Sincerely,
The Warchant Moderator Team

I got 30 days in the hole for calling somebody a snowflake...

The Franklin thing is interesting. There is enough smoke there that tells me he is very interested in the job. It seems odd with him at Penn State and having success that he is interested in a lateral move to do a rebuild at FSU. Only thing I could think is something there has pissed him off.

After the way Willie was treated by our fan base, no way Franklin comes. None...

I don't listen to sportswriters.

Your sources probably said Stoops would be signed last Tuesday. Heck, that's what many booster groups were told. Didn't happen.

No they didn’t. I was told right after the firing we were talking to Bob Stoops and he was interested and that we were equally as far along with Fleck only a few days later. My source has been 100% spot on through this despite what the local talking heads and national media have been saying. National Media said there was no contact with Bob, local said some contact but that no response back and my source said plenty of contact both ways and they were working on it but FSU wants to be diligent unlike with Taggart where it was done in under a week. So they’ve been contacting a fair amount of candidates both plan A, plan B, plan C and all the way down to Tennessee “Option 381” level and employing a search firm to help. But they’ve never stopped moving forward with their first tier of candidates which is Bob, Fleck and Franklin even if the second tier (Mark Stoops, Campbell, Norvell, etc) are under consideration.

What I imagine is sources revealed Bob had been contacted and was really interested (which was true) and somehow that became he’s signing tomorrow. Note that the National Media and local sportswriters basically refuted that Bob had been contacted at all which was a lie. But the original sources were far closer to the truth than Herbstreit.

Could something happen between now and a finalized signed valid contract? Sure. Any contract negotiation can break down at any point. But do I think it’s 95-98% sure? Yes.

Last edited:
No they didn’t. I was told right after the firing we were talking to Bob Stoops and he was interested and that we were equally as far along with Fleck only a few days later. My source has been 100% spot on through this despite what the local talking heads and national media have been saying. National Media said there was no contact with Bob, local said some contact but that no response back and my source said plenty of contact both ways and they were working on it but FSU wants to be diligent unlike with Taggart where it was done in under a week. So they’ve been contacting a fair amount of candidates both plan A, plan B, plan C and all the way down to Tennessee “Option 381” level and employing a search firm to help. But they’ve never stopped moving forward with their first tier of candidates which is Bob, Fleck and Franklin even if the second tier (Mark Stoops, Campbell, Norvell, etc) are under consideration.
In Tribe’s defense, THIS was his source.
art.mark.felt.gi.jpg.cf.jpg

Pretty doggone reputable!

ADVERTISEMENT