ADVERTISEMENT

#1000pages FSU Third Natty (Women’s Soccer 2021 & 2023, and Cheerleading 2023 achieved)

Funny, I was just thinking yesterday watching them grit through the tough game at Wake, that for the first time in my life I feel like this FSU basketball team could be a real championship contender. We've had teams that I thought had a good chance to make the final four, and anybody can make a run to the final four of course, but I don't remember realistically thinking one of our teams could actually win it all.

Obviously, I'd take 100-1 on us NOT winning it all, but as of now it feels like this team can contend. FSU teams are always pretty balanced, but there are a LOT of guys on this team that can score in different ways, and they don't seem to have those long stretches, even multi-game stretches, where they seem like they're not grasping, or at least being able to maintain, the defense.

This team looks more consistently like it knows what it's doing for extended stretches more than I remember from even from some of our good teams.

Who knows, maybe they've peaked now, but given the amount of new faces, how quickly its come together is surprising, and it seems like they can work on getting better, not on continuing to learn what they're supposed to be doing.

On the other hand, they seem to be blocking shots (without any shotblockers) and turning teams over at an unsustainable rate, so maybe that comes down to earth.

Maybe I've just got recency bias over they way they handled last night. I'm used to FSU losing that game. Everything was primed against a good performance (second roadie in a row, let down game, foul trouble, 25 WF free throws in the first half, and then a Wake Forest run to take the lead out of half). It just felt like a game you lose, or at the very least you're hoping Forest can pull out with a runner at the buzzer.

So to win by double digits and cover the spread...it just feels different.
And the women's team may have a better chance to win it all than the men. And we shall see how the baseball and softball teams look soon.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Firehouse is one of the better sub chains. They seem to do a decent job training their staff to be consistent, at least here. The Meatball is picturesque, and delicious.

The basic ham and turkey sub is good eats.

My only gripe, is its best eaten there. Steaming the sammy and then taking to go can lead to some soggy bread which is worse than soggy ass.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I saw that flash up earlier today as well. Kind of bummed, I really thought he was underused last season. Heard he had the dropsies, but I don't remember it being any worse than anyone else trying to catch the inconsistent QBing...

Wonder if it was a leave due to style of new coaching staff, leave due to wanting other football options or just other.

The article Matt Baker tweeted about the LSU AD and Jimbo was interesting. I wonder how close they really got to making a deal before he backed away from Jimbo.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through life being hated by so many people. Sure the money is nice, but I wonder how many of his former coaches pick up the phone to say hello. He must be a pretty lonely guy.

I couldn’t believe the Jeopardy genius couldn’t figure this question out. For the record his answer was as "diamond".

I saw that flash up earlier today as well. Kind of bummed, I really thought he was underused last season. Heard he had the dropsies, but I don't remember it being any worse than anyone else trying to catch the inconsistent QBing...

Wonder if it was a leave due to style of new coaching staff, leave due to wanting other football options or just other.

Man, given what these players have gone through over the past three seasons, I'm not going to overthink any of them leaving. Maybe they just want to go some place that's stable and fun after three seasons of constant turmoil. Or maybe they want to see if they can play somewhere where they'll be playing for more than bowl eligibility.

If he’s not committed, better for him to leave than be a cancer to the team.

Man, given what these players have gone through over the past three seasons, I'm not going to overthink any of them leaving. Maybe they just want to go some place that's stable and fun after three seasons of constant turmoil. Or maybe they want to see if they can play somewhere where they'll be playing for more than bowl eligibility.

See, I think it is much more of the second and less of the first. Biased opinion says we should go bowling this season. Perhaps already decided he (and others) aren't going to gel with the new coach. But I wouldn't think it was a commitment issue. But if he lands at FAU, we will know everything to make the determination.

Im just happy Terry is staying, that would be a huge loss.

See, I think it is much more of the second and less of the first. Biased opinion says we should go bowling this season. Perhaps already decided he (and others) aren't going to gel with the new coach. But I wouldn't think it was a commitment issue. But if he lands at FAU, we will know everything to make the determination.

Im just happy Terry is staying, that would be a huge loss.

Yeah, where he goes will give us some idea. If it's FAU, then I don't blame him for figuring it's not in his best interest to learn a new offense for the fourth time in four years, if he thinks he knows what WT is going to be doing there. If he goes some place with a higher ceiling, then there's that. I don't think it has to have anything to do with what he thinks of the new coaching staff or anything else, just putting myself in his position, if your job had the kind of turnover and chaos that's been associated with FSU's football team I wouldn't be against anyone just wanting a different opportunity.

Reactions: Finance85
Boo. For this post, you get no likes!

I really don't fault these men for switching. Esp if they already earned their degree, but this is a business and the rest of their lives could be impacted by the wrong decision.

The only one I've thought made a wrong decision was McKitty because I thought he looked special in limited action and I thought Norvell would reward him with more touches. The rest are addition by subtraction.

The only one I've thought made a wrong decision was McKitty because I thought he looked special in limited action and I thought Norvell would reward him with more touches. The rest are addition by subtraction.

Yeah, if Kyle Myers is getting meaningful time, there's a big problem. Good for him to go find snaps.

We don't know the talk Norvell had with him. Additionally some of these kids may not like the new rules he put in place as I heard he has a rule of no earrings and/or hats in the Moore center. Some kids may think it is a silly rule and would not look forward to the rules he is going to have in practice or the disciplinary methods he implements.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Him staying is a big boost. I really wonder what the QB position looks like next year.

In a dream world, the new QB coach figures out a couple things for Blackman, the OL gives him a 4 second pocket (5 is being greedy) and the new strength staff helps Blackman put on another 30 + lbs. And Blackman shocks the world.

Maybe I've just go the dreamers disease..

don't let go...

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
I would rather Norvell install his system/rules, and possibly lose some kids, than judge dance contests at practice and keep everyone.

Yeah, he doesn't strike me so far as that type.

tumblr_mnz1cpNmAB1sq5pcqo3_250.gifv

Him staying is a big boost. I really wonder what the QB position looks like next year.

In a dream world, the new QB coach figures out a couple things for Blackman, the OL gives him a 4 second pocket (5 is being greedy) and the new strength staff helps Blackman put on another 30 + lbs. And Blackman shocks the world.

Maybe I've just go the dreamers disease..

don't let go...

Yeah, I don't see that happening....

Pretty good start for the Seminoles Indoor Track and Field squads. The #1 preseason ranked men’s team and #11 women both put in strong work, including two facility records and 21 personal bests.
Go Noles!!

https://seminoles.com/two-facility-records-five-wins-highlight-opener/

CLEMSON, S.C. – Newcomer Isaac Grimes and junior Jayla Kirkland set Clemson facility records Saturday as Florida State athletes combined for five victories at Saturday’s season-opening Orange & Purple Elite meet.

Grimes delivered one of four wins for the top-ranked FSU men, sailing 7.91 meters (25-11.5) on his final long jump attempt. That mark not only took down the previous facility record of 7.82 meters, shared by Florida’s KeAndre Bates and Texas’ O’Brien Waisome, but secured the junior transfer a spot at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

The former Division II NCAA champion from Chadron State also moved to No. 5 on FSU’s all-time list in his first competition in garnet & gold.

“I expected to be around the eight-meter range, so I’m pretty happy with where I ended today,” Grimes said. “I feel a little more relaxed about everything now, so I can go back to practice and figure out the more technical stuff I need to do better the rest of the season.”

Grimes-with-board-1024x632.jpg
Photo: Bob Thomas
Kirkland ran 7.17 in the 60-meter dash final, breaking the seven-year old facility record previously held by 17-time All-American Dezerea Bryant, to record the victory. The Birmingham, Ala. native not only crushed her previous best (7.24), but moved into the very early NCAA lead with the No. 2 time in FSU history.

Qualifying second-fastest (7.29) for the final behind World Athletics U18 100-meter record-holder Briana Williams’ 7.27, Kirkland exploded from the blocks in the final and won going away. Williams was second in 7.25.

“I felt really good knowing I had a great fall of training with a great coach,” Kirkland said. “I just knew I had done amazing things in training and had no doubt I would come into this meet and do great things…

“I’m the most fit I’ve ever been and I’m also more mentally strong than I’ve ever been. I think it’s going to be a great season.”

It was the lone victory of the day for the 11th-ranked Seminole women in the season-opening rust-buster.

Boise is a small stadium but very different place for FSU to play. Anyone going? We are debating on how to get there, but definitely planning on going.

May ride if my bro has a new bike by then, considered bringing the camper and using it for tailgating (but it looks like the game is at 10 AM) or just flying in.

EN4otu7UEAAuXjr

Boise is a small stadium but very different place for FSU to play. Anyone going? We are debating on how to get there, but definitely planning on going.

May ride if my bro has a new bike by then, considered bringing the camper and using it for tailgating (but it looks like the game is at 10 AM) or just flying in.

EN4otu7UEAAuXjr

I’m probably not going as I seldom travel long distance for sporting events that I have a “rooting interest” in as nothing ruins an expensive trip like having your team lose. I’m not saying that I NEVER travel for FSU (I did go to Omaha in 2019 for MM’s last shindig and enjoyed it BUT I only went to the first game purposefully and we fortunately managed to win that one) but seldom.

Having said that, I did go to Boise last year as part of a trip where I flew into Denver and did the Rocky Mountains NP, then went down to Dinosaur NM and Fossil Butte NM before heading up to Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP and Cody Wyoming and then over to Craters of the Moon NM and then flew back from Boise. So I have a couple of Boise suggestions.

1) Boise has one of my favorite steak places of all time. I’d probably rate it no worse than 4th or 5th behind Berns in Tampa, Cattleman’s in OKC and Dickey Brennan’s in Nawhlins. It’s called Chandler’s Steakhouse and it’s in the modern sophisticated style (so not an old school chophouse like St Elmo’s and Peter Lugers, but an Atmosphere more like Le Bernardin). Not only was it great steaks (and I'm not just comparing to the MANY steak meals we had on that trip in Denver, Cody, Jackson Hole, and bumbleeff Utah/Wyoming/Montana/Colorado/Idaho but a few weeks later we did the trip to Omaha and ate steaks there and Kansas city plus I've been to a lot of other highly respected places around the country) BUT surprisingly they place a huge premium on flying in great fresh food from Washington and British Columbia so the oysters and other Pacific seafood you get there is great quality. You absolutely MUST dine there once when in Boise.
2) Meriwether Cider is within walking distance of Chandlers and is my favorite cidery that I've been to. Also within walking distance is 10 barrel brewing company which is a solid brewery. Both are worth a stop before or after Chandlers.
3) Westside Drive-In is THE place for the unique local foods specific to Boise and the region, specifically the Ice Cream Idaho Potato (just ice cream shaped into an image of a baked potato) and the steak fingers (fried pieces of steak about the size of chicken fingers). I preferred the steak fingers I got in Wyoming as there they dip them in white gravy rather than in Boise where you dip them in seafood cocktail sauce, but the fingers themselves were tasty.

Advocate for Florida State
Dear Seminoles:

The 2020 Legislative Session starts Tuesday, January 14, and Florida State has an especially strong case to make this year to state lawmakers.

From our No. 18 national ranking among public universities to again being designated the most efficient university in the country, Florida State continues to provide legislators with a rock-solid return on their investment.

Thank you for registering for and being an active member of the Advocate for Florida State network. This online tool helps state decision-makers develop an even greater appreciation and support for Florida State.

The Advocate coalition includes alumni, students, faculty and friends whose combined voice furthers Florida State University’s legislative priorities. When that combined voice is needed on behalf of a specific issue, and Advocate alert will be emailed to you. Your timely response to these alerts will be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to review legislative matters pertaining Florida State on a weekly basis, the Legisletter on the Governmental Relations website is updated each Monday during the legislative session. To receive an email reminder of this update, please ask Toni Moore at tmoore@fsu.edu to add you to the mailing list.

Thanks again for your continued support, and GO NOLES!

Sincerely,

Kathleen Daly
Associate Vice President University and Governmental Relations

So he goes to a school that drops lots of bags but never throws to the TE or wins anything of substance (77 years since their first natty and 40 since their second and last and only 3 conference titles since 1980). So we know why he's leaving.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT