ADVERTISEMENT

#1000pages FSU Third Natty (Women’s Soccer 2021 & 2023, and Cheerleading 2023 achieved)

Seriously though...of all things, why exaggerate this? Why aggrandize on this particular subject? He could have said that they texted every player and had conversations with many, why blow it out of proportion to make yourself look good?

Besides the fact it's incredibly tone deaf to overstate your actions on this particular subject, if you'll lie/exaggerate on this, why should the players, boosters, or fans believe anything else you say.

Would love for this to be true, but I think I'll hold back on the credibility of Tom A Hawk and his 1600 followers.

Hopefully there were several players who responded to the text and had conversations with Norvell, and this can be put down to the nuance between HAD conversations with every member of the team and INITIATED conversations with every member of the team. But if he didn't have the conversations and express the sentiments he described with any players...yeah he's in trouble.

I suspect generally the problem is this: many players feel like Norvell hasn't adequately addressed the George Floyd situation and racism in general.

I went back and looked at the statements made by Norvell and by Adam Fuller. See if you can pick up the difference in tone and approach:

TALLAHASSEE -- Florida State coach Mike Norvell released a statement apologizing for an aspect of comments he made in an interview with The Athletic earlier this week, while also expressing that he was proud of Marvin Wilson for how he reacted to his coach’s comments.

Here’s the full statement from Norvell:

“I’m proud of Marvin for utilizing his platform to express his reaction to my comments in an earlier interview. Last Saturday evening, I sent a text to each player individually to present an opportunity for open communication with me. Many members of our team chose to respond and have more in-depth conversations about issues and feelings. Marvin is right. It was a mistake to use the word ‘every’. Particularly at this time, words are important, and I’m sorry.

“Once again, I am grateful for the opportunity that I was given to speak to our team more in-depth as a result of Marvin being willing to express his feelings. We will continue to communicate and work together to be part of the solution making our world a better place for ALL.”

Norvell and players met on Thursday morning to go over Norvell’s comments from earlier in the week, about eight hours after Wilson Tweeted that he and teammates were “outraged” over the inconsistency of the coach’s message. Wilson also stated that there would be a boycott of voluntary workouts, although players were back in the locker room and appeared to be ready to workout following the Thursday meeting.

Norvell, in an interview with The Athletic on Tuesday, said he went “back and forth individually with every player this weekend” and that conversations about using FSU’s platform to positively impact the country have been held “in a big-picture team approach, but also, more specifically, the individual and group conversations.” The comments from Norvell came when he was asked about the conversations he’s had with players regarding events related to the death of George Floyd.

Players came out to publicly support Norvell and the FSU program on Thursday after the meeting. Wilson put out a video thanking Norvell for the platform and how he wanted to use his own platform moving forward.

A transcript of Wilson’s comments are below:

“Coming back around full circle. Yesterday I took a stand that was not only for me to FSU football, not even for athletes in general, it is for big George Floyd, black people in general, for our oppression that we’ve been going through for over 400 years. I want to say shout out to Colin Kaepernick for really being the first athlete I ever saw really take a stand for something that he believed in. And I believe thoroughly that black people has been oppressed for way too long in America.”

“Now moving forward, we met as a team today, coming together. And we want to do three things.”

“One, everybody on the team is going to be registered voters going forward. That we're gonna have our say-so in this next election, I encourage everybody, every black person, every athlete, anybody that has a say-so that's willing to vote to go out and vote when we have this next election.”

“Number two, we are going to move forward and we are going to do different fundraisers and different things like that going forward to help give money to organizations to help send black kids to college because we need more more doctors, we need more lawyers, we need more politicians, we need more people with say-so of color.”

“Number three, what we're gonna do is we want to do more fundraisers and to help kids around Tallahassee. You know, I've been in Tallahassee for four years now and so many schools around Tallahassee are below the poverty line. This is so many schools. You have some schools that are almost 100-percent on free lunch. You’ve got kids, fifth grade kids that are taking care of their first or second grade little brother or sister. Going home, because their momma is out working all night long trying to provide, to keep the lights on at night.”

“As a black man, as me, really had to see that growing up, that hurt. Going back and seeing different kids go through the same struggles that I had to fight growing up. Just me, being a man of color, I want to be that change. I want to be that guy to go out with all these tattoos on my body in a year or two, showing these kids that yeah I’ve got all these tattoos, I’ve got all this stuff going on with my body, I probably have earrings on, I might have a chain on, but at the same time I’m going to be a millionaire, an educated millionaire with a degree, and I'll be able to tell them kids that you can be whatever you want in this world if you put your mind to it and you work hard, because you come from royalty, you are black, and you should be proud of that. You stand for something. You mean something. You have a story to tell and a story that needs to be heard, no matter what, you are special.”

“I want to tell little girls that they are special. That they mean something. That we need our black women. Please stop oppressing our black women and build them up, show them that they are worth something.”

”Show that our black men today are not thugs. They are more than an athlete. Homeboy you can go be a doctor or a lawyer if you want to be. You can be whatever you want to be in the world if you put your mind to it. If you work hard, because no matter what you do in life, it's gonna be hard. There is going to be challenges, there is going to be naysayers, there's gonna be people that gonna say you can't do it. As long as you got your mind, you got that knowledge, you can do whatever you want in this world.”

”My mama said all the time, ‘Marv, there are two things I’ll never be able to take from you in life. 1. God. 2. Is you education.’ Because an educated black man is the most dangerous thing in America. The most dangerous. No matter what nobody say, you feel me. We need to band together as family, to take this take this over with, to be something different.”

“I love you all bro. Stay safe. Stay black. You feel me."

Last edited:
Norvell was careless with his misspeaking at best or mischaracterization of his communication with "every" player. He owned up to it (mostly) and channeled it in a positive direction. Hope this will make the team closer.

P.S. Marvin Wilson is a beast and a leader that is greatly needed on this team. I look forward to him having a great year on the field and off and inspiring others to be better.

Last edited:
I thought he was already punted from the team after a DUI crash.

haha

giphy.gif

My understanding was suspended and transferred instead of seeing if he could make a way to return.

Reactions: seminole97
Glad to see Berger get the win, long come back from the wrist injury.

That cup at 17 was brutal in the last hour

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Possibly by the end of the week. We’ve reached an agreement with a candidate and the final contract is being drawn up as we speak. It should be signed either by the end of this week or the beginning of the next one. There’s still some things that might pop up that could scuttle it, but I’d say it’s about 95-99% likely based on the inside scoop I’m hearing.

I was “sworn to secrecy” about who it is but I can say 90-95% of the fans will be happy with the switch. The remainder will be only those few who still loved Taggart, those who want O’Dell to take over a top flight position (as this signing will prove) without real experience as a HC and the NFL geeks who wanted Sanders with no real HC experience. The only hints I’ll add is that if it goes through as expected no one can say FSU is being cheap and some broadcast media are going to look foolish.

I was told that while the official final contract is being drawn up and reviewed, we will continue interviewing candidates just in case something goes wrong last minute so we’re not stuck with Norvell or Mark Stoops and that those meetings may be leaked not to add pressure to the one we’re waiting on a signed contract with but to show due diligence to the fan base and media.
Looks like Hamilton is gonna continue his run in Tally. No brainer, right? I mean RIGHT!
https://floridastate.rivals.com/news/fsu-s-hamilton-not-ready-to-hang-up-whistle-anytime-soon

Hamilton, who grew up in segregated North Carolina in the 1950s and 1960s, obviously has a unique perspective on that particular topic. But the veteran head coach was also asked about his future, and how long he sees himself coaching major college basketball.

Hamilton obviously is in the midst of his best-ever run as the Seminoles' head coach. His team was 26-5 in 2020, won the ACC and was ranked No. 4 in the country heading into the postseason. And that was coming off three straight NCAA Tournament appearances and back-to-back Sweet 16s.

But Hamilton also is in his sixth decade in the coaching profession. Which is why Crawford asked Hamilton how long he foresees himself doing this.

"I'm going to be doing this as long as I can remember the names on the jerseys," Hamilton said with a laugh. "As long as I can see the scoreboard, as long as I don't call Billy 'Bob' and Bob 'Billy,' as long as I can walk out there and see what's going on, and don't go to the wrong bathroom, I'm going to hang in here. You know what I mean?

"If I start walking down and sitting on the other team's bench, (it might be time to go)."

That time doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon.

Hamilton went into the 2019-'20 season on the last year of his contract. And there has been nothing released by the university saying he has agreed to a new deal.

But at some point, it will get done ... if it hasn't already. Hamilton isn't going anywhere. He doesn't want to. And Florida State most definitely doesn't want him to. Not after what his program has become.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT