ADVERTISEMENT

FULL SCHEDULE (27 GAMES) RELEASED! Hosting MTE(Nov25). W Ill(Dec3), N Car(Dec8), ISU (Dec11) & N Ill(Dec13) @ CHA. Gonzaga(Dec19). No Gavitt Games

Unless ISU becomes a Chicago St with a high 300 rating, it's not going to be a blow out...Fran is not a coach that runs up a score to embarrass another coach. If the score would get out of hand, Iowa has plunty of bench players to get their feet wet...
Hopefully Austin Ash plays at least 10 minutes, puts up at least 12 points and then blows a kiss to the ISU bench at the end. ;)

Virginia & Duke appear to be the top 2 teams next year.

Since Iowa is the best B1G team per every preseason rankings so far, which would you want to play (hopefully at CHA)?

Before you answer, remember that Virginia is the defending National Champions. ;)

Personally, I hope we get Duke at home (@Hawksfor3 )
Duke will push to move the game to Chicago or Indianapolis.

No they won't.

Hasn't Iowa & Duke played once in Chicago, the answer is yes. What would keep them from doing it again?
P.S. Lost to Duke at the United Center in 2001, 80 to 62...Duke didn't want to play in Iowa City then what would be different now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye_311
Because the NCAA does what ever King Mike (and his co-horts Bill, John and Tom) want. If Duke wants to play their Challenge game at a neutral site, so be it.

There is zero risk in hoping for a disaster season for Iowa St the next couple of years. They don’t exactly have the money to buy Prohm out probably for at least 2 if not 3 seasons with Covid-19. I hope they’re a smoldering crater.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Virginia & Duke appear to be the top 2 teams next year.

Since Iowa is the best B1G team per every preseason rankings so far, which would you want to play (hopefully at CHA)?

Before you answer, remember that Virginia is the defending National Champions. ;)

Personally, I hope we get Duke at home (@Hawksfor3 )

You must have missed where the Big Cat already claimed the B1G Title and the Natty. Iowa is the current champion.

If Iowa was to play Duke, I would be shocked if they played in CHA. More likely to be in Chicago. Virginia on the other hand would probably be played in CHA.

This is exactly how I feel and will feel slighted again if we don't get this game in CHA.

Unless ISU becomes a Chicago St with a high 300 rating, it's not going to be a blow out...Fran is not a coach that runs up a score to embarrass another coach. If the score would get out of hand, Iowa has plunty of bench players to get their feet wet...

I feel like we blew ISU out the last two years. If the game is comfortable at the under 8 TO I feel like it's a blowout.

Hasn't Iowa & Duke played once in Chicago, the answer is yes. What would keep them from doing it again?
P.S. Lost to Duke at the United Center in 2001, 80 to 62...Duke didn't want to play in Iowa City then what would be different now?
20 years is the difference. It’s been 12 years since any of the challenge games have been at a neutral site. Plus, Duke played on the road last year so it’s kind a moot point.

When was the last time that Gary Barta (assuming that is who you mean by "GB") scheduled an Iowa men's basketball game?
Well maybe he needs to get involved. IMO there's no excuse (other than $) to repeatedly have 3 or 4 of the worst Div I teams who are on long bus tours through the Midwest. It would be better to schedule a quality non-Div I team, as as least that game wouldn't be factored into SOS.

Well maybe he needs to get involved. IMO there's no excuse (other than $) to repeatedly have 3 or 4 of the worst Div I teams who are on long bus tours through the Midwest. It would be better to schedule a quality non-Div I team, as as least that game wouldn't be factored into SOS.

Who do you think they should play in place of those games?

Reactions: BBHawk
Maybe you should get ahold of him and let him know what he should be doing (in your ever-so-humble opinion).
And who were these 3 or 4 worst teams that Iowa played that no other P5 teams played?

Maybe you should get ahold of him and let him know what he should be doing (in your ever-so-humble opinion).
And who were these 3 or 4 worst teams that Iowa played that no other P5 teams played?
Team .................................... SOS

Iowa ...................................... 94

You may be thrilled with a NET SOS of 94; I would hope Barta /whomever could do better

They could phone the following schools:

KenPom School League
204 Illinois Chicago Horz
206 Arkansas St. SB
207 Robert Morris NEC
216 Central Michigan MAC
219 Nebraska Omaha Sum
220 Illinois St. MVC
221 Iona MAAC
223 Green Bay Horz
229 Miami OH MAC
232 Youngstown St. Horz
237 Western Michigan MAC

Not all would be willing to make a road trip, but I have a feeling a couple would.

Central Michigan with Keno Davis at the helm would be a good game for Iowa fans. I would enjoy seeing that and it would be a unique style for our veteran team to play against.

And what would the benefit and cost difference be in playing those teams?
Team Conference NET SOS NC SOS

Wisconsin Big Ten 23 32 38

Michigan St. Big Ten 7 37 93

Purdue Big Ten 32 39 86

Rutgers Big Ten 30 40 95

Maryland Big Ten 18 42 116

Ohio St. Big Ten 16 47 91

Michigan Big Ten 24 48 117

Nebraska Big Ten 199 60 137

Minnesota Big Ten 42 62 165

Indiana Big Ten 56 64 66

Northwestern Big Ten 164 71 153

Illinois Big Ten 39 76 242

Iowa Big Ten 34 94 236

Penn St. Big Ten 35 123 336

Rutgers Nebraska and NW all managed to have significantly better NC SOS than Iowa. If Iowa can't afford to compete with NW then there are some big problems.

Reminder on what our nonconference schedule looks like thus far....

And from Thursday April 30's press (Zoom) conference:

Home Tournament

Iowa hasn't hosted an early-season men's basketball tournament since 2007 when the Hawkeyes defeated Eastern Illinois, 57-45, for third place in the Hawkeye Challenge. That could change in 2020.

"I don't know when this will be announced, but I think we're going to have our own," McCaffery said. "I don't know that it is all finalized yet, but I think we have teams. We'll know about that moving forward."

3 nonconf games: Iowa State (Dec. 10), ACC/B1G Challenge & the Gavitt Games.

4 more nonconf games (run through Global Sports Management):
--2 of the 4 games are for sure home games; the other 2, as you can see, might be on the road.

South Dakota (TBD), at CHA (#182: NET ranking on March 12)
Alabama State (Dec. 29), at CHA (#337: NET ranking on March 12)

I think I have seen South Dakota and Alabama State mentioned so far. I imagine the last slot will be a solid Power 5 team.

Is what Fran was talking about on Thur Apr 30 the event run by Global Sports Mgt (see above or orig post)?

Or was what he was talking about IN ADDITION to the Global Sport Mgt event?

Is what Fran was talking about on Thur Apr 30 the event run by Global Sports Mgt (see above or orig post)?

Or was what he was talking about IN ADDITION to the Global Sport Mgt event?
Yeah I'm pretty sure Fran was talking about the Global Sports thing.

I know what the numbers say, but I thought we had a pretty decent non-conference schedule last season. Two of the weaker sisters (Cal Poly and North Florida, who won 21 games) were tied into the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational, so we had to play them. Depaul (Big East) and Iowa St. (Big 12) drug our overall schedule down by falling short of their expectations. Even with that, we played Texas Tech, San Diego St., Syracuse and Cincinnati (beating three of them), all of which finished with decent winning records.

I think we can all easily remember worse schedules in the past.

I know what the numbers say, but I thought we had a pretty decent non-conference schedule last season...

I think we can all easily remember worse schedules in the past.

How many times has Iowa been a pre-season top 10 team in the past? I agree that last year's schedule was okay, but playing a non- Div 1 team would have been better for the SOS than playing one of the basement dwellers Iowa annually schedules. Is it really that tough to schedule better teams than Northwestern?

How many times has Iowa been a pre-season top 10 team in the past? I agree that last year's schedule was okay, but playing a non- Div 1 team would have been better for the SOS than playing one of the basement dwellers Iowa annually schedules. Is it really that tough to schedule better teams than Northwestern?

do you think that we intentionally hurt our SOS?

Last season, the Mildcats played Merrimack, Radford, Norfolk St., Hartford, SIU-Edwardsville and Depaul. We played Syracuse (18-14) in the ACC Challenge. They played Pitt (16-17). Just not seeing how their schedule was so much tougher than ours.

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
This month the B1G/ACC & Gavitt Games match ups are being discussed.

Andy Katz says:

* Iowa should get either North Carolina or Louisville at CHA.

* For Gavitt Games, he says send Iowa or Wisconsin to Villanova and the other one to Creighton.

We can't host Duke or Virginia because the home teams are set for the B1G/ACC Challenge.

Home teams for ACC/B1G Challenge:
Duke
Virginia
Iowa
Wisconsin
Rutgers (@MrsScrew )

Check this out & Watch:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT