ADVERTISEMENT

FULL SCHEDULE (27 GAMES) RELEASED! Hosting MTE(Nov25). W Ill(Dec3), N Car(Dec8), ISU (Dec11) & N Ill(Dec13) @ CHA. Gonzaga(Dec19). No Gavitt Games

do you think that we intentionally hurt our SOS?
My point is that it shouldn't be a huge task to drop a few of the horrible teams and get some teams in the range of (I like KenPom) 200 to 280 instead. I listed a bunch of teams that could bus to Iowa City.

Again Iowa was 13th out of 14 Big10 teams in the NCAA SOS in the nitty gritty sheet. If your happy with that fine. IMO it wouldn't take a Herculean effort to improve it.

My point is that it shouldn't be a huge task to drop a few of the horrible teams and get some teams in the range of (I like KenPom) 200 to 280 instead. I listed a bunch of teams that could bus to Iowa City.

Again Iowa was 13th out of 14 Big10 teams in the NCAA SOS in the nitty gritty sheet. If your happy with that fine. IMO it wouldn't take a Herculean effort to improve it.

A lot of the poor teams that Iowa has played in the past were coached by someone that Fran was familiar with and I assume because of that friendship, Iowa played them to help fill the coffers of those schools....I know no other reason why Iowa would other wise schedule schools that hurt Iowa's SOS. Fran has a soft heart to a fault...

Actually, yes it is a huge task. And the SOS was more due to scheduled teams underperforming than scheduling poor teams.

Reactions: Ronman
Actually, yes it is a huge task. And the SOS was more due to scheduled teams underperforming than scheduling poor teams.

umm no

School...........NET in 2020....... RPI in 2019.........RPI in 2018........RPI in 2017

SUIE.....................336....................325......................280.......................334

Cal Poly...............323.....................341......................306.......................296

Kennesaw St........352....................334......................301.......................260

it would be better to schedule non Div-1 teams than to have three bottom feeders on the schedule every year.

Northwestern played SUIE, their next worst team appears to be Norfolk St (247). Somehow they manage the "huge task" of getting teams with a Net ranking of 200-280 to play in their high school gym.

Reactions: Bee93
Iowa v Creighton seems like a natural matchup...that said it seems like Villanova is a team that sometimes starts the year slowly even when they’re good?
Iowa at Villanova would be my preference. That program has won national championships and is more of a national basketball brand.

Which cheater from the ACC do you prefer? North Carolina or Louisville? ;)

umm no

School...........NET in 2020....... RPI in 2019.........RPI in 2018........RPI in 2017

SUIE.....................336....................325......................280.......................334

Cal Poly...............323.....................341......................306.......................296

Kennesaw St........352....................334......................301.......................260

it would be better to schedule non Div-1 teams than to have three bottom feeders on the schedule every year.

Northwestern played SUIE, their next worst team appears to be Norfolk St (247). Somehow they manage the "huge task" of getting teams with a Net ranking of 200-280 to play in their high school gym.

and schedule is a relative metric

and other schools also play these teams

June 1, 2020 Nonconference Schedule Update:

Nov 10 vs Southern
Nov 13 vs NC Central
TBD vs South Dakota
Nov 24 vs UT Chattanooga
Nov 27 vs UMKC
Dec 10 vs Iowa State
Dec 19 vs Northern Illinois
Dec 29 vs Alabama State

Early December?: B1G/ACC Challenge (North Carolina or Louisville?)

November?: Gavitt Games (Villanova or Creighton?)

Last edited:
hoping for Creighton in the Gavitt Game and Louisville or Florida St in the ACC Challenge game, otherwise it will be a no nothing non-conference schedule with Iowa St being the best of the rest of the scheduled games. At least only 1- 300 ranked team from last year Kenpom is scheduled so far in Alabama St. The rest should be easy pickens being home games and 147 to 272 from last years Kenpom rankings

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
This looks like a step backwards to me.

I agree with that......thinking why Fran would do that with this loaded team of proven players, I come up with two possibilities......both are legit?

1) Playing the lesser teams earlier allows the young guys who won't get a lot of minutes later, to prove themselves. That means that they can show what they need to work on, get some on floor time, and prepare them to a degree in case of injuries in the top 8/9 players. I think it also allows them to understand that they need to work on in practice etc...

2) Assuming our top rotation blows these teams out early, they can then reduce minutes and get rest so that they are fresher later in the season. With the experience level of most of these guys they won't NEED to get a lot of minutes early.

That's my being an optimist.

Last edited:
This looks like a step backwards to me.
As the person bitching about scheduling a bunch of 'sub 300' teams, this group looks okay:

Southern : Net 265
NC Central 256
S Dakota 182
Alabama St 337
UT-Chattanooga 153
UMKC 252
N Illinois 174

If they avoid scheduling dogs with the last 3 spots it could be a tougher schedule than last year. I guess we'll see...

I agree with that......thinking why Fran would do that with this loaded team of proven players, I come up with two possibilities......both are legit?

1) Playing the lesser teams earlier allows the young guys who won't get a lot of minutes later, to prove themselves. That means that they can show what they need to work on, get some on floor time, and prepare them to a degree in case of injuries in the top 8/9 players. I think it also allows them to understand that they need to work on in practice etc...

2) Assuming our top rotation blows these teams out early, they can then reduce minutes and get rest so that they are fresher later in the season. With the experience level of most of these guys they won't NEED to get a lot of minutes.

That's my being an optimist.
i think covid had a big part in this schedule

As the person bitching about scheduling a bunch of 'sub 300' teams, this group looks okay:

Southern : Net 265
NC Central 256
S Dakota 182
Alabama St 337
UT-Chattanooga 153
UMKC 252
N Illinois 174

If they avoid scheduling dogs with the last 3 spots it could be a tougher schedule than last year. I guess we'll see...
and when you think about it, 23 of 31 games are vs Power 5; i wonder how that will rank with other teams

So is Iowa not playing in non conference early season tournament this year? With our best team in last 10 maybe 20 years and this is the one year under Fran we decide to not play in any tourney? Or are we still looking for one?

So is Iowa not playing in non conference early season tournament this year? With our best team in last 10 maybe 20 years and this is the one year under Fran we decide to not play in any tourney? Or are we still looking for one?

They're not playing in a tourney, which is why they are hosting one again. IIRC, it's a one year thing.

They're not playing in a tourney, which is why they are hosting one again. IIRC, it's a one year thing.

Thanks glad it's only a one year deal. I know they announce over a year out but still waiting for the day Iowa returns back to the Maui Classic which is going on 15 years since we were last there.

Reactions: Hawktucson
Thanks glad it's only a one year deal. I know they announce over a year out but still waiting for the day Iowa returns back to the Maui Classic which is going on 15 years since we were last there.
honestly, i think with covid and the current travel restrictions world wide, they were VERY hesitant in traveling too far from Iowa City for non conference games; what happens if there is a second wave of covid (as predicted) and a tournament gets canceled? then you lose a couple games from the schedule and everyone is bitching that they should have had some foresight and not scheduled games in Hawaii, etc....

honestly, i think with covid and the current travel restrictions world wide, they were VERY hesitant in traveling too far from Iowa City for non conference games; what happens if there is a second wave of covid (as predicted) and a tournament gets canceled? then you lose a couple games from the schedule and everyone is bitching that they should have had some foresight and not scheduled games in Hawaii, etc....

They made the decision to not travel to a tournament before the Coronavirus was even a thing.

June 10, 2020 Nonconference Schedule Update:

NOTE: The home "tournament" is considered a classic; it is not a traditional tournament.

The 11 Games:

1. Nov 10 vs Southern
2. Nov 13 vs NC Central
3. TBD vs South Dakota
4. Nov 24 vs UT Chattanooga
5. Nov 27 vs UMKC
6. Dec 10 vs Iowa State
7. Dec 19 vs Northern Illinois

8. Dec 22 vs Oregon State (at Sanford Pentagon in South Dakota)
9. Dec 29 vs Alabama State

Game 10: Early December ?: B1G/ACC Challenge (North Carolina or Louisville?)

Game 11: November ?: Gavitt Games (Villanova or Creighton?)

Last edited:
Only 11 non conference teams, 9 have been identified, only the Gavitt game and ACC opponents have not yet been identified. Not sure what teams are associated with this so called Iowa tournament....

As you can see in the previous post, all 11 nonconference opponents (with dates or approximate dates) are pretty much set.

Nov 10 vs Southern
Nov 13 vs NC Central
TBD vs South Dakota
Nov 24 vs UT Chattanooga
Nov 27 vs UMKC
Dec 10 vs Iowa State
Dec 19 vs Northern Illinois
Dec 22 vs Oregon State (at Sanford Pentagon in South Dakota)
Dec 29 vs Alabama State

Early December ?: B1G/ACC Challenge (North Carolina or Louisville?)

November ?: Gavitt Games (Villanova or Creighton?)

With planning on Iowa doing a local tourney (like the old Hawkeye Gazette Classic) have they announced who the teams are? Is the S. Dakota game apart of it?

Of the 11, 1 neutral, 1 road and 9 home games. Another tough road game non-conference would have been nice to prep for B1G road games.

With planning on Iowa doing a local tourney (like the old Hawkeye Gazette Classic) have they announced who the teams are? Is the S. Dakota game apart of it?
The home "tournament" is considered a classic; it is not a traditional tournament.

Iowa's 11 nonconference opponents listed above, therefore, appear to be set.

Of the 11, 1 neutral, 1 road and 9 home games. Another tough road game non-conference would have been nice to prep for B1G road games.

Not sure how this compares to other teams around the country, but 24 of 31 games are Power 5/6.

20 conference games
04 conconf games (Iowa State, vs ACC, vs Big East, Oregon St)
24 total

What do you all think is the reason that the Gavitt game opponent and ACC opponent haven't been decided yet....last year, Depaul from the Big East was announced on the 29th of May and Syracuse from the ACC was announced on the 6th of June. It is now almost July and we've heard nothing from either conference...what gives?

Reactions: Franisdaman
What do you all think is the reason that the Gavitt game opponent and ACC opponent haven't been decided yet....last year, Depaul from the Big East was announced on the 29th of May and Syracuse from the ACC was announced on the 6th of June. It is now almost July and we've heard nothing from either conference...what gives?
Guessing their not 100% confident in a season or a non conference season yet.

June 29, 2020 Nonconference Schedule Update:

NOTE: The first three games constitute an exempt multi-team event Iowa is hosting. This home "tournament" is considered a classic; it is not a traditional tournament. Iowa, Southern, North Carolina Central and South Dakota will all play each other. South Dakota will host two games before playing at Iowa.

The 11 Nonconference Games that are Set:

1. Nov 10 vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

2. Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

3. Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

4. Nov 24 vs UT Chattanooga (20-13, 10-8 Southern Conference)

5. Nov 27 vs UMKC (16-14, 8-7 Western Athletic Conference)

6. Dec 10 vs Iowa State (12-20, 5-13 Big 12)

7. Dec 19 vs Northern Illinois (18-13, 11-7 Mid-American Conference)

9. Dec 29 vs Alabama State (8-24, 7-11 SWAC)

Nice to see Iowa schedule some decent low majors (at least based on last season’s records). That, plus top level ACC/Big East teams should be a pretty decent non-con SOS.

NOTE: The home "tournament" is considered a classic; it is not a traditional tournament.

The 11 Games:

1. Nov 10 vs Southern
2. Nov 13 vs NC Central
3. TBD vs South Dakota
5. Nov 27 vs UMKC
6. Dec 10 vs Iowa State

Iowa to play Oregon St at Sanford Pentagon

We knew this on June 10th ;)

The 11 Games:

1. Nov 10 vs Southern
2. Nov 13 vs NC Central
3. TBD vs South Dakota
5. Nov 27 vs UMKC
6. Dec 10 vs Iowa State

We obviously knew about the Oregon State game in Sioux Falls on June 10th.

All 11 nonconference games have been set for a while now. Now, will all 11 of those games be played is the question.

Again, the June 10th Announcement:

And 36 days later? Well, we already knew about this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT