ADVERTISEMENT

FULL SCHEDULE (27 GAMES) RELEASED! Hosting MTE(Nov25). W Ill(Dec3), N Car(Dec8), ISU (Dec11) & N Ill(Dec13) @ CHA. Gonzaga(Dec19). No Gavitt Games

I know it isn't a perfect rotation, but aren't we due for a home game in the Challenge? We played @ Syracuse last year.

I know it isn't a perfect rotation, but aren't we due for a home game in the Challenge? We played @ Syracuse last year.

Yep. North Carolina or Louisville at CHA has been speculated for 2 months now.

I updated the original post on May 22nd with this:

May 22, 2020 Nonconference Schedule Update:

This month the B1G/ACC & Gavitt Games match ups are being discussed.

Andy Katz says:

* Iowa should get either North Carolina or Louisville at CHA.

* For Gavitt Games, he says send Iowa or Wisconsin to Villanova and the other one to Creighton.

We can't host Duke or Virginia because the home teams are set for the B1G/ACC Challenge.

Home teams for ACC/B1G Challenge:
Duke
Virginia
Iowa
Wisconsin
Rutgers (@MrsScrew )

Check this out & Watch:

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I, for one, would love a shot at payback against Villanova. Besides beating us in OT in the championship game of the Battle in Atlantis in 2013, they kicked our butts in the 2016 NCAA matchup with them. I realize they say "be careful what you wish for," but if Luka is back I think we have a decent shot against anybody.

Reactions: T. Kimball
I, for one, would love a shot at payback against Villanova. Besides beating us in OT in the championship game of the Battle in Atlantis in 2013, they kicked our butts in the 2016 NCAA matchup with them. I realize they say "be careful what you wish for," but if Luka is back I think we have a decent shot against anybody.

I was in Brooklyn that day. Booked an early flight home from Barclays at halftime and headed for JFK

I prefer Nova as well. Could be #1 Villanova vs #3 Iowa based on the latest CBS preseason rankings. That's a great spotlight put on the Iowa program where a lot of kids will be tuned in.

If the game gets played (traditionally it is played in November), it looks like it will be either Iowa or Wisconsin heading there.

This would be a great matchup for a variety of reasons - two top tier teams, close travel/ proximity, and a very winnable away game that should have a decent Iowa fan representation.
I just hope the games are played.

I still would prefer #3 Iowa at #1 Villanova; that would be sweet for several reasons!

Let #5 Wisconsin go to #10 Creighton! ;)

What's the very latest word on whether we play or not?
there really hasn't been much word on anything lately when it comes to the CBB schedule

with the B1G/ACC & Gavitt games match ups still not announced, it makes you wonder if those games will be played; it would be a shame if they were not

but who knows?

Despite the virus, could waiting on to see who stayed in the draft and who opted out affect who plays who in the challenge and the Gavitt Games?

Reactions: Franisdaman
TWO updates on Iowa's nonconference schedule:

(1) The PAC-12 pulled the plug on all sports through 2020 so will Iowa get a replacement opponent for Oregon State in Sioux Falls?

(2) And this:

When Ronnie Courtney was the Texas Southern coach I talked to him about these games one time. Its totally about the money. Courtney at one time was the coach at Houston Davis high. I called a few of this games. Everyone talked about such an a***ole he was. But I never had a problem. But then again I didnt go to Kashmere or Washington High. He asked me if I went to Memorial(not a minority school). He asked me where I went to HS. When I said Des Moines Roosevelt he said never heard of that.

3 Big 10 teams don't play in the Gavitt games each season-no guarantee right now we'll be playing in it (although probability is we will).

Facts before speculation.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Iowa doesn't play in the Gavitt Games, unless they just aren’t able to play due to pandemic.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Iowa doesn't play in the Gavitt Games, unless they just aren’t able to play due to pandemic.
it will be interesting to see what happens, especially with all the bubble talk.

It would suck to not get a chance to play Nova (especially!) or Creighton

Reactions: Ronman

The 11 Nonconference Games that WERE Set (and which involved contracts):

1. Nov 10 vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

2. Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

3. Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

4. Nov 24 vs UT Chattanooga (20-13, 10-8 Southern Conference)

5. Nov 27 vs UMKC (16-14, 8-7 Western Athletic Conference)

6. Dec 10 vs Iowa State (12-20, 5-13 Big 12)

7. Dec 19 vs Northern Illinois (18-13, 11-7 Mid-American Conference)

8. Dec 22 vs Oregon State (at Sanford Pentagon in South Dakota)

9. Dec 29 vs Alabama State (8-24, 7-11 SWAC)

Game 10: Early December ?: B1G/ACC Challenge (North Carolina or Louisville?)

Game 11:
November ?: Gavitt Games (Villanova or Creighton?)

If we just get the ACC/BT game and 20 conference games I'm cool with that, maybe throw ISU in there. We may just have to live with the fact that then there's teams in the tournament with like an 11-11 record or something. I just don't know how you could get an RPI or SOS number with any validity of there's no non-conference games because there's limited ways to identify which conferences are good and which aren't. A team that goes 14-6 in the Pac 12 isn't as good as a team that goes 14-6 in the Big Ten, we know that, but there's no objective way to quantify that. Maybe go the MLB route and do a one-off 128 team tournament? That sounds like a logistical nightmare.

So almost certainly there's going to be some hurt feelings on the bubble, as always, just maybe more so this year. But the real point of the NCAA tournament is to get the 20ish teams in there that have a legit shot at the Final Four a chance to get there, which would be an improvement from 2020.

Sources: Big Ten remains intent on playing non-conference games
September 9, 2020
by Jon Rothstein

The Big Ten remains intent on planning to play non-conference games during the 20-21 college basketball season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

While circumstances can change daily due to COVID-19, the league is currently operating with a plan in place to play games outside of its conference in November and December.

Several college basketball industry sources felt during the past month that the Big Ten was considering playing a 26-game, double round-robin type format during the upcoming year for safety reasons, but that idea “has cooled off” in recent weeks, according to two separate sources.

On paper, the league is expected to be even better than it was last season when the conference would have likely had 10 teams selected for the NCAA Tournament.

Nine Big Ten teams are currently ranked in the ROTHSTEIN 45.

The NCAA is expected to officially announce next week that the college basketball season will begin on Nov. 25th, following a meeting by the Division 1 Council on Sept. 16th.

NOTE: Nov 21 is now the proposed season start date.

It will be interesting to see what happens w/ these 3 nonconf games. Will they be canceled or rescheduled?

Nov 10
vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

Last edited:
NOTE: Nov 21 is now the proposed season start date.

It will be interesting to see what happens w/ these 3 nonconf games. Will they be canceled or rescheduled?

Nov 10
vs Southern (17-15 last season, 13-5 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Nov 13 vs NC Central (18-13, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)

Nov 16 or Nov 20 vs South Dakota (20-12, 10-6 Summit League)

This is from the latest NCAA release.

There are three scheduling options in DI men's basketball.
  • 24 regular-season games and up to three games in one multi-team event.
  • 25 regular-season games and up to two games in one multi-team event.
  • 25 regular-season games without playing in a multi-team event.
https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/n...-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season

If 26 games isn't an option, then a full round-robin conference schedule is off the table.

Iowa has 1 Multi-team event (Southern, NC Central, South Dakota). If they want to reschedule that for a later date, they could have 4 more non con games.

If the ACC challenge and Gavitt games happen, the schedule will probably look like this.

Iowa State
Oregon State (still up in the air)
ACC team
Big East team
Southern
NC Central
South Dakota

Of course Iowa could use this opportunity to get out of their tournament and joined a more high profile group. A lot of folks would love to add a ranked preseason team to their holiday tournaments.

Reactions: Ronman
This is from the latest NCAA release.

There are three scheduling options in DI men's basketball.
  • 24 regular-season games and up to three games in one multi-team event.
  • 25 regular-season games and up to two games in one multi-team event.
  • 25 regular-season games without playing in a multi-team event.
https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/n...-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season

If 26 games isn't an option, then a full round-robin conference schedule is off the table.

Iowa has 1 Multi-team event (Southern, NC Central, South Dakota). If they want to reschedule that for a later date, they could have 4 more non con games.

If the ACC challenge and Gavitt games happen, the schedule will probably look like this.

Iowa State
Oregon State (still up in the air)
ACC team
Big East team
Southern
NC Central
South Dakota

Of course Iowa could use this opportunity to get out of their tournament and joined a more high profile group. A lot of folks would love to add a ranked preseason team to their holiday tournaments.
thanks for this

So, 27 games will be the maximum a team can play, correct? I am guessing that will be 20 conference plus 7 nonconference. Would you agree?

I found this interesting, as well:
  • Teams must play a minimum of 13 games against DI opponents to be considered for NCAA championship selection.
  • A transition period will take place from Sept. 21 to Oct. 13 between out-of-season activity and preseason practice.
    • Teams may partake in conditioning, sport-related meetings and skill instruction for up to 12 hours a week.
      • Skill instruction may not exceed eight hours a week. Athletes must receive two days per week during this period.

thanks for this

So, 27 games will be the maximum a team can play, correct? I am guessing that will be 20 conference plus 7 nonconference. Would you agree?

I found this interesting, as well:
  • Teams must play a minimum of 13 games against DI opponents to be considered for NCAA championship selection.
  • A transition period will take place from Sept. 21 to Oct. 13between out-of-season activity and preseason practice.
    • Teams may partake in conditioning, sport-related meetings and skill instruction for up to 12 hours a week.
      • Skill instruction may not exceed eight hours a week. Athletes must receive two days per week during this period.
Not every team is going to be able to afford the testing for a full slate of non con games. I imagine Iowa can afford it so we should be able to play 20 + 7. Most B1G schools will follow unless the B1G decides to go conference only even though they can't have a round robin schedule.

Not every team is going to be able to afford the testing for a full slate of non con games. I imagine Iowa can afford it so we should be able to play 20 + 7. Most B1G schools will follow unless the B1G decides to go conference only even though they can't have a round robin schedule.
the B1G is paying for the tests for the fall sports; i would imagine that will carry over to winter & spring, but who knows

I'm a little disappointed they didn't settle on a true B1G round robin of 26 games. Back in the day, before the expansion, that was the norm and produced a true conference champion.

Toss in the Gavitt Game, the ACC/B1G Challenge and the Clone game and you have a great schedule.

I'm a little disappointed they didn't settle on a true B1G round robin of 26 games. Back in the day, before the expansion, that was the norm and produced a true conference champion.

Toss in the Gavitt Game, the ACC/B1G Challenge and the Clone game and you have a great schedule.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out; will we have 7 nonconf games and who will they end up being?

Hopefully we can keep ISU, B1G/ACC and Gavitt!!

ADVERTISEMENT