ADVERTISEMENT

12 Big 10 games remain - predicting the finish

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Final 12 Games - My predictions:

PUR - L, at PSU - W, at OSU - L, MINN - W, at MARY - W, NEB - W, MICH - W, MSU - L, at NEB - W, NW - W, at MICH - L, at ILL - L

7-5 Overall - 4-2 at home, 3-3 on the road
11-9 Big 10 Record, 21-10 overall heading into the Big 10 Tourney.

Biggest swing games are beating MICH at home and pulling off a road win at Maryland.
Michigan is playing well right now so the THU, FEB 17 match-up with MICH at 6PM in Carver becomes the most important victory left on the schedule.
The road win at Maryland won't be easy as Illinois just got smoked at Maryland, but Hawks can definitely pull off a road win in College Park.

My guess at the final Big 10 Standings:

1. MSU
2. WIS
3. PUR
4. ILL

5. OSU
6. IND
7. IOWA
8. MICH
9. RUT
10. NW

11. MARY
12. MINN
13. PSU
14. NEB

Iowa gets a first round Big 10 Tourney match-up with NW in the 7 vs 10 game, and then advance to play #2 seed WIS

If the Hawks win their 1st round BTT game they get a #7 seed in the NCAA tourney. If they drop their first game in Big 10 Tourney they drop to a #9 seed.

If we dont get any Quad 1 wins a .500 conf. record might not get in! 0-4 in quad1 currently and CBS sports has Iowa as a 11 seed.

I think most are overrating MSU, and maybe underrating UM. I don't like to predict, but 10-10 finish seems most likely. I think that would get Iowa an invite to the dance, especially with any wins in the BTT.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
8 and 12

Home Losses
-
Purdue, have a chance if Ivey doesn't play on Thursday.
MSU - Joe T, Ulis and Perkins have got to play more minutes to have a chance.

Home Toss Ups -
Michigan
Minnesota, MN will have a full Strength Roster

Home Wins -
Nebraska
Northwestern

Road Losses -
OSU, Will be competitive and could pull it out.
Michigan
Illinois

Road Toss Ups - Iowa could get two wins here, but road wins are rare.
Maryland
Nebraska
Northwestern

Based on the above I see at least 5 losses unless Iowa can upset and upper echelon team. At most I see only three more home wins. I see two road loss toss up games. My estimate is 8 and 12 at this point with an outside chance of 9 and 11. Late February hasn't been kind to Iowa in the past and 3 of the last 5 games are against currently ranked opponents. I'm not a Kool Aid drinker this season. I can hope the team hasn't jelled yet and will improve to prove me wrong.

Purdue L
@Penn St W
@ Ohio St L
Minnesota W
@ Maryland W
Nebraska W
Michigan W
Michigan St W
@ Nebraska L (because we can't have nice things)
Northwestern W
@ Michigan L
@ Illinois L

7-5. Will keep us out of the bottom 4 and may need to win 1 more in the B1G Tourney. Need Utah St. and Virginia to do well. Need some of the no namers we beat early to do win/finish strong in their conference.

Reactions: Sheahawk
Purdue L
@Penn St W
@ Ohio St L
Minnesota W
@ Maryland W
Nebraska W
Michigan L
Michigan St L
@ Nebraska W
Northwestern W
@ Michigan L
@ Illinois L

Finish 6-6. 10-10 in the league, right where many of us hoped we could finish. #8 seed NCAA's.

Purdue L
@Penn St W
@ Ohio St L
Minnesota W
@ Maryland W
Nebraska W
Michigan L
Michigan St L
@ Nebraska W
Northwestern W
@ Michigan L
@ Illinois L

Finish 6-6. 10-10 in the league, right where many of us hoped we could finish. #8 seed NCAA's.

Has an at large team made the tourney with 0 Q1 wins since things switched over to the NET ratings? I can’t imagine so, especially comfortably in as an 8 seed.

Has an at large team made the tourney with 0 Q1 wins since things switched over to the NET ratings? I can’t imagine so, especially comfortably in as an 8 seed.
I’m not sure about 0 but pretty sure several mid majors have gotten in with 1 (lack of opportunities)

Dont know how many but this Quad1 issue will be hashed out in the next 6 weeks alot! Might come down to anymore bad losses. Rutgers is 108 in the net so that is a Quad2 loss & if we dont get any Quad1 wins Iowa cant afford any more Quad2 or worse losses!

PUR - L, at PSU - W, at OSU - L, MINN - W, at MARY - W, NEB - W, MICH - W, MSU - L, at NEB - W, NW - W, at MICH - L, at ILL - L

Biggest swing games are beating MICH at home and pulling off a road win at Maryland.
Michigan is playing well right now so the THU, FEB 17 match-up with MICH at 6PM in Carver becomes the most important victory left on the schedule.
The road win at Maryland won't be easy as Illinois just got smoked at Maryland, but Hawks can definitely pull off a road win in College Park.

1. MSU
2. WIS
3. PUR
4. ILL

5. OSU
6. IND
7. IOWA
8. MICH
9. RUT
10. NW

11. MARY
12. MINN
13. PSU
14. NEB

Iowa gets a first round Big 10 Tourney match-up with NW in the 7 vs 10 game, and then advance to play #2 seed WIS

If the Hawks win their 1st round BTT game they get a #7 seed in the NCAA tourney. If they drop their first game in Big 10 Tourney they drop to a #9 seed.
Illinois at Maryland: No Kofi. Curbelo with 102 temp tried to play but couldn’t. Those are the preseason all Big Ten players.

1. MSU
2. WIS
3. PUR
4. ILL

5. OSU
6. IND
7. IOWA
8. MICH
9. RUT
10. NW

11. MARY
12. MINN
13. PSU
14. NEB

Not bad for a 1/24 guess

ADVERTISEMENT