ADVERTISEMENT

12 Saturdays podcast: Instant reaction to Brian firing

Good podcast - question for now or maybe in your next podcast…As a fan, what were your expectations for this team in the beginning and what are they now? TIA

Good podcast - question for now or maybe in your next podcast…As a fan, what were your expectations for this team in the beginning and what are they now? TIA
I can answer for myself anyway.

Here is what I wrote in the TwT season preview column:

If my predictions hold, Iowa will be 10-2, 7-1 in the Big 10 and heading for Indy. They should have been there last year, so this will go a long way toward settling some of the more disgruntled fans down. Beat one of the East’s big three – unlikely but not impossible – and this will be Kirk Ferentz’ best turnaround job since 2015.

As for now? I will say I did not expect the offense to actually regress. Of course, I also expected Cade McNamara to be Iowa's QB and Luke Lachey and Eric All to be his two most important targets. Oops.

On the other hand, while I expected the defense to be very good, I did not think it would be as dominant as it has been. So that negates the horrendous offense by just a bit.

I guess I am sticking with the 10-2 expectation. All four remaining teams on the schedule are eminently beatable - and if Iowa can just get some semblance of a run game going and put up a couple offensive TDs a game - it should be achievable.

If I'm being super realistic, however, I kind of expect 9-3 and just missing out on Indy. Which may actually be a minor blessing in disguise.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I can answer for myself anyway.

Here is what I wrote in the TwT season preview column:

If my predictions hold, Iowa will be 10-2, 7-1 in the Big 10 and heading for Indy. They should have been there last year, so this will go a long way toward settling some of the more disgruntled fans down. Beat one of the East’s big three – unlikely but not impossible – and this will be Kirk Ferentz’ best turnaround job since 2015.

As for now? I will say I did not expect the offense to actually regress. Of course, I also expected Cade McNamara to be Iowa's QB and Luke Lachey and Eric All to be his two most important targets. Oops.

On the other hand, while I expected the defense to be very good, I did not think it would be as dominant as it has been. So that negates the horrendous offense by just a bit.

I guess I am sticking with the 10-2 expectation. All four remaining teams on the schedule are eminently beatable - and if Iowa can just get some semblance of a run game going and put up a couple offensive TDs a game - it should be achievable.

If I'm being super realistic, however, I kind of expect 9-3 and just missing out on Indy. Which may actually be a minor blessing in disguise.
Thanks for that!👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT