ADVERTISEMENT

12-year-old girl killed in UTV crash in Buchanan County

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
A 12-year-old girl died Sunday in an utility-task vehicle (UTV) crash in Buchanan County.

Around 5:20 p.m. Sunday, Buchanan County sheriff’s deputies responded to a 911 call of a UTV crash near 260th Street and Buffalo Creek Boulevard, southeast of Winthrop, the agency reported Monday.

A 12-year-old girl driving a Polaris Ranger UTV with a passenger lost control of the vehicle, which rolled over into a ditch, ejecting the driver and pinning her underneath, the sheriff’s office reported. The juvenile passenger was not injured.

Lifesaving attempts at the scene were not successful, so the girl was transported to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The crash is under investigation. A UTV is bigger than an all-terrain vehicle and allows for two people to ride side by side.

Other agencies that responded to the crash were the Winthrop Fire Department, AMR Ambulance and AirCare.

• Sad
Reactions: longliveCS40
We had a Honda 3 wheeler growing up, so I’m lucky to still be here. Many of these UTVs come with seatbelts but I’m to sure how effective they’d be for a small girl.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
To make matters worse, a body was just taken out of the wapsie. Not related but still for the community.

Was riding bike past a farm Saturday. Two girls under 10 bombing around yard in an ATV. Had a roll cage but no helmets.

glad I never had a need for one when my kids were young. Would have been the bad guy and said no. I am not judging, I am sure many start out with my thinking but time tends to weaken absolutes.

most small town now allow them on streets. The base is so small on those compared to the speeds that are possible. Death traps for those that push their limits.

may the family find peace and the ability to move forward.

Yep. Open up all the county blacktop roads for these things. High COG, short wheelbase, tires made for off-road. Speeds way too high for what they are, yet slow enough to impede other traffic. What could go wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT