ADVERTISEMENT

19-12 regular season

NIT is the goal, NCAA is all but gone. We are not athletic enough, shoot well enough, and as always don't play defense. Garza and Keegan gave us hope, but it is back to Fran ball, try to outscore your opponents. That type of basketball only works with a stud and enough support. We don't have the support at all. NIT I hope.
NCAA is ALWAYS the goal, NIT should only be something for mid majors to shoot for

JFC. EIU game matters zero.

false-wrong.gif

Things have solidified more as the season has progressed, so I figure I'd update this. Keep in mind that there are 36 At-Large bids every year. Iowa is fine and should get in at 10-10 in the conference with how things are currently tracking.

Tournament Picture:

MWC: 2-3 At-Large bids

• San Diego St. (Safe)
  • New Mexico (Bubble-In)
  • Boise St. (Bubble-In)
  • Nevada (Bubble-cut line)
  • Utah St (Bubble-Out)
Other Mid-Majors: 2 At-Large bids
  • Gonzaga (Lock)
  • Houston (Lock)
  • St. Mary's (Safe)
  • Memphis (Bubble-In)
Bid Stealers:
  • Florida Atlantic (CUSA)
  • Charleston (CAA)
  • Kent St. (MAC)
ACC: 4-6 At-Large Bids
  • Virginia (Lock)
  • Miami (Safe)
  • Duke (Safe)
  • UNC (Bubble-In)
  • NC State (Bubble-In)
  • Clemson (Bubble-In)
  • Pitt (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Wake Forest (Bubble-Out)
Big East: 3-4 At-Large Bids
  • Xavier (Lock)
  • Marquette (Lock)
  • UCONN (Safe)
  • Providence (Safe)
  • Creighton (Bubble-In)
SEC: 4-5 At-Large Bids
  • Alabama (Lock)
  • Tennessee (Lock)
  • Auburn (Safe)
  • Arkansas (Bubble-In)
  • Missouri (Bubble-In
  • Kentucky (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Texas A&M (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Florida (Bubble-Out)
  • Mississippi St. (Bubble-Out)
Pac12: 1-3 At-Large Bids
  • UCLA (Lock)
  • Arizona (Lock)
  • Arizona St. (Bubble-In)
  • USC (Bubble-Out)
  • Utah (Bubble-Out)
Big 12: 5-6 At-Large Bids
  • Kansas (Lock)
  • Texas (Lock)
  • Kansas St. (Lock)
  • Iowa St. (Lock)
  • Baylor (Lock)
  • TCU (Lock)
  • West Virginia (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Oklahoma (Bubble-Out)
  • Oklahoma St. (Bubble-Out)
Big Ten: 8-9 At-Large Bids
  • Purdue (Lock)
  • Rutgers (Safe)
  • Illinois (Safe)
  • Michigan St. (Safe)
  • Indiana (Bubble-In)
  • Iowa (Bubble-In)
  • Maryland (Bubble-In)
  • Northwestern (Bubble-In)
  • Ohio St. (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Wisconsin (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Penn St. (Bubble-Cut Line)
  • Michigan (Bubble-Out)

Last edited:
When you lose to EIU you have to take advantage of things handed to you on a golden platter. If we didn’t lose to EIU this loss wouldn’t be a bad loss.

How does one loss say anything about the quality of another loss?

For all its faults this team has a legit shot at 2nd in the conference. Need to win the next 2 at home.

it's going to be tough fight to get back to the NCAA tournament

here's how I see it playing out:

Thu, Dec 29 @ Nebraska W L
Sun, Jan 1 @ Penn State L
Thu, Jan 5 vs Indiana L W
Sun, Jan 8 @ Rutgers W
Thu, Jan 12 vs Michigan L W
Sun, Jan 15 vs Maryland W
Wed, Jan 18 vs Northwestern W
Sat, Jan 21 @ Ohio State L
Thu, Jan 26 @ Michigan State L
Sun, Jan 29 vs Rutgers W
Mon, Jan 31 vs Northwestern W
Sat, Feb 4 vs Illinois W

Thu, Feb 9 @ Purdue L
Sun, Feb 12 @ Minnesota W
Thu, Feb 16 vs Ohio State W
Sun, Feb 19 @ Northwestern W
Wed, Feb 22 @ Wisconsin L
Sat, Feb 25 vs Michigan State W
Tue, Feb 28 @ Indiana L
Sun, Mar 5 vs Nebraska W

that would put us at 19-11 (11-9 Conf), a winning record in the Big Ten might be enough to get a play-in game in the dance
Really really happy with the way the team has been taking care of business on the home court ever since a certain non-conference game. But gotta pick up 2 more road dubs.

Next Sunday will be telling. Losing at Purdue is a mortal lock and won't mean much for NCAA hopes. But @ Minnesota is an absolute must win. If this team is serious about getting into the tourny (and more importantly getting above the 8/9 line) then Iowa cannot screw around against the Goofers.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
When you lose to EIU you have to take advantage of things handed to you on a golden platter. If we didn’t lose to EIU this loss wouldn’t be a bad loss.
Tell me again what Iowa players were not available in that EIU game.
Doesn't the NCAA committee take in consideration of players not available to play because of injuries. No excuse, but when the best player from the losing team can't dress it matters.

Doesn't the NCAA committee take in consideration of players not available to play because of injuries. No excuse, but when the best player from the losing team can't dress it matters.
After the loss, all the hawk media talked about was that they DO NOT take that into consideration. I am happy to see the Hawks are to the point where it is looking like it won't matter anyway.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
IIRC it was Kris and Connor. But we also beat the piss out of ISU without Kris so I’m not sure they’re gonna let it slide. EIU is something like 340th in the nation. A couple injuries is still no excuse.

Then where do you see this going?

Collect wins vs. OSU, MSU, Nebraska. 1 of either Northwestern/Wisconsin, and 1 BTT win.

21-12 - 6 seed
12-8 in the conference. I'd take that. That would would be an absolute guarantee spot in the tournament. If the conference ended today, I think they'd be a 5 seed, with 1 bye. Other than not having to play another game as a 4 seed, a 5 seed might actually be a little better, as their chance of winning 2 games in the tournament is better. Frankly, being a 6 or 7 seed wouldn't be bad either, as they could avoid Purdue until the end. Like always, just win the games and the rest takes care of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT